This ever happened to you?

Daniel089

OK, so I just met this guy in work, we go home, take the subway, never talked before, but we start to talk about each other's life ( school, work, etc.), when I'm talking suddenly a friend of his steps in at a station, and they start to talk and I turn into a stone statue, listening to them just talking about their crap. So when we took off I said bye and they didn't give a damn to answer anything, they just went on their ways.

Honestly I wasn't keen on talking with this guy, of course I know other people at my workplace, chit-chat wouldn't be a problem with them though.

I guess I just can't walk next to anyone familiar, without saying a word to that person, because that would be just weird, lol...

Has anyone had any similiar situations? If so, how did you handle them?

Last edited:

HappySquidward

Yeah, I think I may have had something similar happen to me once or twice. I'm talking to someone (happens rarely), then someone else comes along and starts talking to the person. I feel kinda panicky in these situations becuase I'm not sure if I should wait for them to stop talking or go on with my own business.
It is rude though that they didn't say anything when you left.

this_portrait

Yes, I've been in similar situations before where I'm talking to someone, then one of that person's friends appears and they end up holding a conversation while I stand idly by. The only difference is that I've never been left in the dust and the friend of whoever I'm talking to ends up leaving.

laure15

This happened to me several times. I can handle one-on-one conversations with another person, but 2 or more people is too much for me. When I'm in a group of 3 or more people, I get dominated by the others and become the odd one out.

Phoenixx

This happened to me several times. I can handle one-on-one conversations with another person, but 2 or more people is too much for me. When I'm in a group of 3 or more people, I get dominated by the others and become the odd one out.
^ Yes exactly with me too. It makes me feel so awkward, and I gotta admit it hurts a little, when I'm talking with someone and then one of their friends/acquaintances comes along and strikes up a conversation and I'm just left there to sit in my own silence because I'm too afraid to say anything else otherwise.

coyote

that's pretty typical - try not to take it personally

there's nothing much you can do unless they introduce you to their friend and include you in the conversation

unless you're the type of person who is comfortable butting in and introducing yourself

i never feel right doing that

MentalAudit

The flow of the conversation is very important so I completely understand not wanting to intrude. A couple of possibilities, eye contact with your acquaintance? Sarcastic coughing during a brief pause in the conversation. Or even, if it's too much, asking him later or the next time you meet him who the other person was. Humour is my weapon of choice so I'd likely chide him for not introducing you. Or you know, just letting it go as a touch of sadness, one of those things that just happens eh?

recluse

It's a rude thing to ignore a person like that guy did. If i'm in a situation where there are two peopel i try to include both in the conversation, like just making eye contact every once in a while to let them know that i aknowlegde their existance or give a nod in their direction.

I've been in the situation too many times when i get totally ignored whenever a more interesting person joins.

Some people don't have manners.