There is no cure, but still hope, I believe

Kiwong

I agree with OP that there is hope, while still suffering from this disease. Currently I am doing is managing my anxiety and shyness it is a part of who I am. Trying to change what I can, and accept what I can't change. I'm actually doing very well, I have achieved a lot this last few years.

dannyboy65

Once I read no cure still hope, it made me think of my schizophrenia. It's nothing like shyness but it does cause shyness. Because of my schizophrenia I feel like a freak. I also have another mental disorder that can't be cured called aspergers and I'm slowly learning how to talk to people in my everyday life. I like the term improving because I try to improve everyday in both I try to avoid the voices and learn to talk to people.

Lou-s-Darkness

I like tennis too. I used to play it in junior high. I'd like to get back into it but I'm not sure if I know of any tennis clubs in my town.

That could be another way for me to possibly friends. Thanks for the idea.

I wouldn't worry about the attention u r getting for playing a sport. Sometimes I laugh when somebody in the crowd is trying to act like they could do better than people on the court in basketball.

I guess I've just played in so many sports in front of people that I'm used to it. Caring what people think of your skill level is a waste of time. It really doesn't matter what they think. The person with the most courage is the one who is willing to go out there and risk failure.

Yes, for sure! I pretty much live for tennis :) I consider myself a very good player, despite the fact that I've taken no real tennis classes. I'm proud of my skills and trying to perfect them even in front of someone who is pro skill level.This just drives me further into wanting to perfect myself in this domain. So just go for it! If you want something, no matter the problems you are faced with, your love for it will override your weakness(es). :D

Alright, enough from me now lol.

honestjeenn

I have panic attack today while in a bathroom... Thinking that the surrounding is rotating.... Goodness, I am frightened while that is just an imagination and I feel anxious with it.

Diend

The one thing ive gotten from years of hoping for SA to one day disappear is that...you might not grow out of it like your parents said it would. So you news to work on it.

THeCARS1979

we can still try to eliminate the symptons eith 5htp, St johns wort, and maybe use cognitive therapy towards it. That or try for Neurofeedback therapy

Last edited:

OceanMist

we can still try to eliminate the symptons eith 5htp, St johns wort, and maybe use cognitive therapy towards it. That or try for Neurofeedback therapy

I have no problem with trying out that stuff. Like I said, we should strive to improve.

EscapeArtist

I respect and partially agree although i actually think there is a cure for the bodily discomfort/stress part of anxiety. IMO the cause, you can feel comfortable in social situations via cures but you still got to put yourself in them once you are.. I mean I used to have terrible anxiety and 'social stiffness' if you may call it, blanking and feeling so paralyzed, but I found a cure to that. It's the isolation habit that ya can't cure.. And that can cause it's own dissociation from the world, albeit light compared to before. Feel like i'm rambling...

Subpop

Once I read no cure still hope, it made me think of my schizophrenia. It's nothing like shyness but it does cause shyness. Because of my schizophrenia I feel like a freak. I also have another mental disorder that can't be cured called aspergers and I'm slowly learning how to talk to people in my everyday life. I like the term improving because I try to improve everyday in both I try to avoid the voices and learn to talk to people.

I admire your spirit dannyboy65...I came across your post and it has helped me to put some things I am dealing with in perspective. You are not a freak, don't ever let anyone get away with saying that to you.

Quietguy11

Before everyone gets mad, hear me out on this one.

Yes, I'm saying there is no 100% cure to SA and shyness (btw, i think those things are pretty much the same thing, shyness/SA) if you have what they call bad shyness (an example of someone who has bad shyness is me, someone who hasn't had close friends for 6 years or so and pretty much never has a g/f), your shyness will never go away.

But, there are things you can do to get a social life, a successful social life. Those type of things are discussed on here, as in joining social clubs such as softball leagues, kickball, basketball leagues, etc. There are other things too, heck if you are lucky you can even be approached if put yourself out there, or there are people on here that approach other people and get friends that way.

I think people like me need to accept that we'll never be perfect and just try to enjoy what we can out of life and not worry about trying to "fix ourselves." A lot of people mention fixing themselves, and I don't like that term because you can never 100% fix yourself.

I think "improve" is a better term. "Taking action instead of hiding" is another good statement. Sorry if I sound stingy and technical right now.

Feel free to give me your thoughts on this.

You're right, there are always ways to improve your self. You just have to step out there, and do whatever it is that will improve yourself. The problem is, sometimes anxiety and depression interferes with that drive and motivation. For me, I am a quiet guy. I can't easily form relationships, and I can't strengthen the friendships I already have, because there's nothing in me to give. I think the important thing is that you take steps in the right direction, no matter how small they are, and always believe that you have the power to overcome any obstacle.