Therapy..helpful or not?

PennyLane

Hey...first wana say sorry as I think I ask a new question every single day, but i kinda new to this and im finding everyones opinions/experiences really helpful :)

I basically want to know if therapy has really helped anyone? I've never tried (well only a small amount when i was younger). My mum would like me to and my dad is like "nah, pointless rubbish".

I read on one of the million websites about this stuff, that people with SA tend to over analyse themselves so going to therapy can just make this worse..

Has it helped anyone? Should I give it a bash? Also anyone tried CBT?

Sinar_Matahari

Hi! You should ask as many questions possible. It shows that you have an interest in getting better. I have recently begun therapy and I have a feeling that this will have a positive outcome. I'm normally not this optimistic but the whole situation feels right. My therapist has suffered anxiety herself. She's very warm, understanding and I feel at ease around her. She has told me that CBT should do me good and also taking certain medications every now and then on occasions where I would have a job interview or whatnot.
Yes, we do tend to overanalyze but I think we can make it work to our advantage as long as we remain objective and realistic in our self-analysis.

Last edited:

WelshOne

It's a lot harder to get better without professional help, I would say. If nothing else they give you a push to actually get out and try.

I've had a lot of help from my psychologist, but in terms of FAST progress I think my Occupational Therapist has made the biggest difference in my ability to deal with public places. Basically, she has a unique position is where she's allowed to actually take me out in public, rather than talking in an office. What we do in public is completely up to me, and because I'm starting college in 1 week (oh sh**!) we've been making visits to the campus to get me used to the environment a bit. Without that help I don't think I would be able to manage going next Monday.

All the help I've had has been top notch (mainly my psychologist and OT.) Having said that it's all free in the UK, so I've been very lucky.

PennyLane

All the help I've had has been top notch (mainly my psychologist and OT.) Having said that it's all free in the UK, so I've been very lucky.

Im only in Oz for uni, i finish and move back to the uk in 2 months...so i'll look into seeing if I can get this for free. Thanks :)

iamthenra

I agree with your dad... "pointless, rubbish" I have tried allot of psychologists and psychiatrists, and NONE of them made me feel any better. In some instances I felt worse afterwords... I wouldn't wast my money or time.

Sinar_Matahari

I agree with your dad... "pointless, rubbish" I have tried allot of psychologists and psychiatrists, and NONE of them made me feel any better. In some instances I felt worse afterwords... I wouldn't wast my money or time.

I wouldn't say that it is their job to make you feel better. Therapy isn't one-sided. You have to work with them in order to get the help that you really need. I can't say that I know for a fact whether you have or have not made that effort, but I don't think it's possible that all the professionals you have seen were worthless.

Aner

When I started cognitive behavioral therapy 2 years ago I thought it was a load of bullshit, and abruptly ended it in the middle. However, recently I started noticing that I'm actually using some of the techniques that I learned back then. So yes it took some time for me but it worked :) To this day I regret stopping my treatment.
In my opinion one of the most important thing in these kind of 1 on 1 treatments is to have chemistry with the person who is treating you. And of course actually do what they tell you to do ::eek::

Septor

Just like there is many reasons why we have sa there are many solutions to it.Not every solution will work for you,just like something that works for you,might not work for another person.

I have found that cognitive behavioral therapy has work wonders for me.Even though I still have a lot problems,I'm much better then I was before doing it.That being said something like therapy doesn't work over night or even years.It's very hard work and you need to put a lot of energy into it.The most important thing,is find someone you are comfortable talking to.I had other therapist in the passed and it just didn't work out because I wasn't really comfortable with talking to her.

You really should give it a try,what do you really have to loose.You don't want to miss out on something that could help you and if it doesn't work then just stop going.At least you know you didn't miss chance to use something to help you get better.::eek::

RND_CHR

Therapy is helpful. At the very least, you get to talk to someone in person about your problems. Therapists help you gain insight into the problems, they don't solve them for you.

cosmosis

I find the most beneficial part of therapy is just the fact that you have to verbalize your thoughts and explain your feelings. By just trying to explain it, you can see it from an outside perspective and in a brand new light. But it also kinda works if you just talk to anyone or even a tape recorder. I wouldn't spend too much money on therapry or expect them to fix you like in some movies. It doesn't happen. Be realistic and understand what they do and it could still be helpful.

Remus

Staff member
For me I tried three things.

Meds = useless
Therapy = some improvement
Self help literature = moderate improvement

206Raider

they didn't help me, I would leave happy that I got some things off my chest but other than that I would feel lonely and miserable an hour later and did this for a year and a half and it didn't work for me....maybe for you