the rotary dial phone club

have you ever used a rotary dial phone?

• no - but i saw one in a museum once

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • a what?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Wow, finally a club I am not too scared to join!

dancing%20smiley.gif

I had naturally long fingernails back then (I did not have to do any housework as I lived at home)
I was worried the dialing would break my fingernail so I used a pen to dial instead.::p:

1BlackSheep

Count me in the club too! I remember the clickity click sound as you dialed the number and it went back for the next one. And the phone was anchored to the wall so you had to get a super long coil cord to be able to talk in another room! :)

Count me in the club too! I remember the clickity click sound as you dialed the number and it went back for the next one. And the phone was anchored to the wall so you had to get a super long coil cord to be able to talk in another room! :)

There were no long coil cords for phones where I lived so you had to talk wherever the phone was anchored.
We were too poor to get another phone. So our only one was in the main living area which meant anyone in the house could hear our conversations.::eek::

1BlackSheep

There were no long coil cords for phones where I lived so you had to talk wherever the phone was anchored.
We were too poor to get another phone. So our only one was in the main living area which meant anyone in the house could hear our conversations.::eek::
It's a good thing we had a long cord because I don't think my mom would have wanted to hear the stuff we talked about! ;)

maxshoe.jpg

I always wondered how Maxwell Smart managed to dial his tiny rotary dial shoe phone with his man sized fingers? ::p:

Hoppy

When I was young I still had to hand-crank a black bakelite telephone and tell the nice lady at the exchange what number I wanted.

The town upgraded to a fancy new exchange and we got a rotary dial phone in 1983.

coyote

we were on a "party line" - had to listen and see if the neighbors were on the phone already before we could start dialing

Rawz

My parents used to use one of these. I can remember using it when I was a kid. We kept it even after we switched to a modern phone and we still have it today.

Nowadays we only use cellphones.

WeirdyMcGee

Yes. I love rotary phones. Very stylish~ and they'll work when the power is out, too-- unlike cordless phones.