Terrified of the nightclub people

Fighter86

I've only been clubbing once, several years back, and I would say not everyone is dressed to the nines, some people dress pretty normal, like in jeans and T shirts. There are all sorts of people I guess, but oh, I would say its uncommon to see people wearing glasses in such places, but other than that, the dressing of people is a broad spectrum. But then again, for all I know, I don't even know what I'm talking about because I've only been there once..

Satine

I've only been clubbing once, several years back, and I would say not everyone is dressed to the nines, some people dress pretty normal, like in jeans and T shirts. There are all sorts of people I guess, but oh, I would say its uncommon to see people wearing glasses in such places, but other than that, the dressing of people is a broad spectrum. But then again, for all I know, I don't even know what I'm talking about because I've only been there once..

That's pretty much right - people go to relax, after all. It's a party, not an interview. You don't have to dress a certain way. Okay, there are some requirements - some clubs don't like you to wear trainers, for example. But there's nothing to say you 'have' to wear something skimpy or wonder around in sunglasses. Which was the thing a couple of years back.

That trend has disappeared, thankfully. It was like being on the set of The Matrix.

Cynic

i used to love nightclubs about 10 years ago! its all changed in the uk now

it used to be about the music!

now its all about looking glamorous, people looking down their noses at people, expensive clothing

and the usual knife or baseball bat attack!

i will never enter a nightclub again.
Neither will I. Yeah, back in the rave days there were places that didn't bother with style or fashion and a lot of the ravers were into the music, drugs and having a good time without bothering about anyone else. The poseur and townie places have always been there, though they do seem to be the norm these days. Large groups of designer label clad pissheads and cokeheads competing for mating partners, together with a culture like we have in the UK of drink as much as possible in a short space of time is almost certain to end in violence.

enigma

I always remember this one time, I was boogying away on the dance floor (I probably looked like I was having a seizure) and this woman started dancing really close to me. Now in hindsight I should have said hi or something, but no ::(: I carried on dancing instead. I just didn't have the confidence to talk to her.

recluse

Yeah they terrify me too, well every outgoing and confident person scares me really. I can imagine them judging me more than a shy person would, you know thinking i'm boring and stuff. I guess i am a bit jealous of outgoing people because after all they have more chances in life than a shy guy like me who's scared of everything, and scared of taking risks.

thor01

Yeah they terrify me too, well every outgoing and confident person scares me really. I can imagine them judging me more than a shy person would, you know thinking i'm boring and stuff. I guess i am a bit jealous of outgoing people because after all they have more chances in life than a shy guy like me who's scared of everything, and scared of taking risks.

Same for me really, I wouldn't dare to go. I'd be by myself and would feel odd and out of place. And wouldn't have the courage to initiate conversations or anything. And yeah I don't think those trendy kind of people would be interested in me, and I feel I wouldn't fit in.

Last edited:

Cynic

I always remember this one time, I was boogying away on the dance floor (I probably looked like I was having a seizure) and this woman started dancing really close to me.
I've had that too. When a bird gets close to me, I tend to pull away. The joys of being an inferior form of life that despises himself so much. ::(:

every outgoing and confident person scares me really. I can imagine them judging me more than a shy person would
At the end of the day, if said individuals have no influence over your life, then their opinions matter much. If they do, then its a different matter...

Remus

Staff member
Personally I feel more comfortable going to gay/bi nightclubs, which has nothing to do with my hetrosexuality, but rather the people just seem... nicer, and less judgemental? :confused:

Wow I thought it was just me!

I'm totally hetero too and I cant go in normal clubs, gay/bi clubs are basically not full of dicks wanting to fight/get drunk/letch on women,luckily manchester has a big gay village so if I do go out for my yearly club outing theres alot of chioce.

they also have nice areas to chill out, one even has furniture shaped like beds lol

recluse

Same for me really, I wouldn't dare to go. I'd be by myself and would feel odd and out of place. And wouldn't have the courage to initiate conversations or anything. And yeah I don't think those trendy kind of people would be interested in me, and I feel I wouldn't fit in.

I have been on a few rare occasions with some workmates when i was working but i felt like a fish out of water. It wasn't a trendy club just a student union club we have over here but i still felt out of place. Even if you do want to have a conversation it's impossible because of the volume of the music. The only good thing was that they occassionaly played 'Smells like teen spirit' but other than that the music was s#it!

Flowers-Of-Bloom

Wow I thought it was just me!

I'm totally hetero too and I cant go in normal clubs, gay/bi clubs are basically not full of dicks wanting to fight/get drunk/letch on women,luckily manchester has a big gay village so if I do go out for my yearly club outing theres alot of chioce.

they also have nice areas to chill out, one even has furniture shaped like beds lol

Exactly! =D
And I get to watch all the hot guys snogging each other. =D

Sinar_Matahari

I enjoy going to nightclubs every now and then. My friends happen to be very social and love to go out, see people and be seen. I rather admire that. Outgoing people do not bother me. I like getting dressed up and I do enjoy going out. I realized that it has done me a lot of good going out and socializing. I used to never go out and not have any friends. That worsened my SA. Going out helped with my confidence.

I actually enjoy dancing once I've had my first alcohol buzz. I think I do pretty good at it since I am not worried about how I look to people. I've tried giving dancing a try when I was still sober and I just felt awkward so I stopped.

I prefer pubs and bars to clubs because I'd rather sit have a few drinks and a stimulating conversation. No one ever seems to want to talk about the things that I want to talk about though. It makes me feel as though I cannot relate to others and others cannot relate to me.

Satine

That's refreshing to hear here, Serafina, thanks for sharing!

I get what you're saying about not being able to relate to people with the conversation, though. If I'm lucky I'll be able to settle with someone in a pub environment to talk about politics or whether there is a god or environmentalism or something like that. But once, I tried talking about that kind of stuff with a bunch of colleagues I've now left behind, and they just gave achother a look as if to say, 'duh, she's at it again!' and started chatting about office politics.

So I generally try to find the nerd of the group. They're always a good bet.

doesit

I dont have problem with people who go to clubs,it just wonders me what you are supposed to do there as music is +120Db loud,and people come already drunk from the pubs.

Satine

*shrugs* just dance a bit. Alcohol (and some drugs) make you want to move around, so you move. This is why several of us on this thread have said dancing in clubs isn't well-co-ordinated. It's just moving, because you're under the influence of a chemical that makes you feel inclined to do so.

It's hard to explain to someone who hasn't done it, but the compulsion is a pleasant one to follow.

Flowers-Of-Bloom

Yes.
It can get a bit boring after a while, especially if you're not under the influence of substance. Alchohol and drugs are a large part of the whole clubbing thing, from what I've seen anyway.
Bascially, if you're not drunk or snogging someone, there's not that much point hanging around for hours...

Satine

Or having off-the-wall conversations with strangers, or listening to the music in a uniquely encompassing atmosphere...

satstrn

theres way too much pressure nowadays to meet chicks and talk to people and hook up at clubs, and if you think about it thats completely stupid seeing as you can barely talk to a person without having to yell. makes sense that all the people you see in clubs are generally very loud and confident. i dont do clubs really (unless its more of a bar), i much prefer going to concerts. theres more of a focus and there isnt as much social pressure.