tall women

Im a tall woman. Yesterday I went out shopping on my own and I wore heels - a lovely pair of shoes much loved never worn until yd and an eyeopening experience it was. I liked how I felt more sophisticated and I walked taller and felt like a proper grown up . In my 30th year and I've never done this before. Its like a rite of passage I missed. Yes there were many inevitable baffled looks. But I'm happy to report I gave a metaphorical middle finger to it because I felt more confident. Its kinda amazing that shoes that make you sound like a horse can make you feel more confident :giggle:

It is unfortunate the we live with such odd social norms though... I want to feel confident and comfortable in my clothes ...but my whole life I've dressed in a way to make other people comfortable. My height makes other people uncomfortable... its very odd. I mean if I was 3 km longer than someone else it would cause some potential problems but were talking inches! Its laughable, yet people get so hung up on it.

I would date a guy much shorter than me or much taller than me. Social norms on human length are weird and I reject them.

Out of curiosity how tall are you?

I'm 5'1; I wish I was just 3 inches taller. Le sigh.

I like the way heels look but I hate the back and foot damage they inflict so I avoid them now (not to mention I already have low arches so I'm already headed for back trouble as it is). Comfortable and cute flats are where it's at for me :)

Good thing about the metaphorical middle finger :p

I am quite short and envy tall women!

Although I have no idea what you have to deal with from other people with being a tall woman, I would still want to be one. And like you, I would hope I could dismiss other people's uncomfortableness with it.:)

I hate being short, it helps other people to think you are easy pickings because you can't defend yourself physically.
Maybe that is why a tall woman intimidates people. You are tall therefore your height could be an advantage if you ever had to defend yourself physically?:thinking:

I'm 5'10 there really isn't that much difference between us Opaline. We have 61 inches in common We are 87% the same height

Out of curiosity how tall are you?

I'm 5'1; I wish I was just 3 inches taller. Le sigh.

I like the way heels look but I hate the back and foot damage they inflict...

Probably because of the colour of the pic, I mistakenly read up to here thinking it was Greybeard's post and therefore was imagining a short, bearded man wearing highheels :giggle:

I'm 5'10 there really isn't that much difference between us Opaline. We have 61 inches in common We are 87% the same height

Guess it all depends on perspective, but I never said there was a huge difference. I mean, I would like to be at least 5'4 because I think I would look better that way, to be honest (longer legs and all), and it would make some things easier, like reaching the top shelf of my kitchen cupboards... maybe :p

Kiwong

Tall women are stunning. I think anyone looking would be doing that because your height is eye-catching in a good way. I suppose it is hard with anxiety to have more attention drawn to you, when most of the time anxiety sufferers want to go unnoticed. Good on you for feeling that confidence, you deserve to.

tallish

I always feel exceptionally awkward trying to dress fancy or look nice. I worry I don't do it right, look ridiculous, and I'm also unaware about how people perceive me. I've been trying to be better about it lately, but I just end up feeling super tense and anxious. I can't shake the feeling that everyone is staring at me like I'm some kind of freak.

I very very rarely wear heels. I basically have one pair of sandals that I wear every day. I am thoroughly convinced l would feel pretty damn self conscious in heels too. I'm not used to wearing them for one thing. It also doesn't help that I have wide size 11 feet so finding shoes that fit and don't murder my feet is a HUGE pain. It might be nice to make my legs look longer and thinner though :(. It's super awesome that you went it and did it anyways, and ended up feeling more confident, even despite a few glares and whatnot.

I don't really know what it's like to be a really tall woman though. I'm 5'7, so only a little bit taller than average. I must admit that I definitely envy the long and thin legs a lot of taller women have. The few times I have worn heels about 4 inches high or so, I did feel like everyone was looking at me. It was weird being taller than most of the people around me.

WeirdyMcGee

I always wanted to be taller.

Whenever I wear heels and *am* that few inches taller, it always makes me feel more powerful!
Like a tall, strong, amazonian-- even if I'm only 5'8 in heels. haha

Richey

Perhaps people find height to be intimidating, tall people are often very confident because people assume height equates to successful by default..an assumption is that they would only be interested in big guys.

Bronson99

Perhaps people find height to be intimidating, tall people are often very confident because people assume height equates to successful by default..an assumption is that they would only be interested in big guys.

There is a woman I've seen multiple times at a place I go to exercise who has one of the most unique looks I've ever seen. She's got to be about 6 foot tall, and yet she's so slender (almost too slender). It's like a walking light pole coming toward you. But the look is so compelling, in its elegance.