Talking on the phone

iamthenra

It is easier than speaking to someone face to face. I still have to prep myself before each call. What was the worst was having to do this for a living. I worked in technical support for about 6 years where I had to take 40+ calls a day. I would cringe before taking a call every time that phone would buzz. I would have to take a deep breath think about what I am going to say, and then pick it up... Oh the stress... Thankfully I worked on the multiplexers, and I became very proficient with them. I knew all the bugs and everything that there was to know about them, so supporting them was fairly easy.

this_portrait

why do i, being in america bying an american cell phone service have to talk to someone from zimbabway (no offense)who just learned english last week? :( :(

Because the big bosses in major American corporate companies would rather pay some foreigner $20/week instead of paying a bunch of American workers $20/hour. They're cheap bastards, most of them. I despise how whenever I call tech support, or anything similar, I have to sit and listen to someone, who probably doesn't even know what he/she is talking about anyway, speak in broken English for God-knows-how-long until they finally connect me to someone here in the States, who speaks English. By then I have usually figured out my problem, and I end up cussing out the English-speaking moron who should've been helping me in the first place.

This is no offense to foreigners whatsoever.

Noca

Banned
Because the big bosses in major American corporate companies would rather pay some foreigner $20/week instead of paying a bunch of American workers $20/hour. They're cheap bastards, most of them. I despise how whenever I call tech support, or anything similar, I have to sit and listen to someone, who probably doesn't even know what he/she is talking about anyway, speak in broken English for God-knows-how-long until they finally connect me to someone here in the States, who speaks English. By then I have usually figured out my problem, and I end up cussing out the English-speaking moron who should've been helping me in the first place.

I share your hate ;)

FOR REAL

Banned
i love talking on the phone, i feel really relaxed about it
i hate talking face to face because i dont express my feelings the way i want to.

if someone phones me and i dont answer and they dont leave a message then i couldnt care less who it was (probably a fkn debt collector anyway)

WelshOne

To be honest, its usually fine for me. Only becomes a problem when there are people around me

Yip, when I DO use the phone, I like to be alone. Having to talk to someone on my mobile (cell) phone in the middle of a busy street = no way.

In fact I hate people being able to listen in on my conversation with someone, on the phone or not. Like when I'm in a cafe, I'm very aware of the lone bloke at the next table who can hear everything I'm saying to whoever I'm with. Makes me pretty uncomfortable.

I don't like talking on phone too. It's very hard to answer the phone. Everytime my phone rings, my body starts shaking. But after a short shock when I answer it, i feel a little bit better, talking isn't very big problem. Answering is... I'm searching for a job and when the phone rings first thought is: "what the f*** I'm going to say if they would want to meet me". After I see that it's something else I cool down. Anyways nobody is offering me a job... F***ing recession.

stand_up

Come to think about it, I do feel sorry for some of these call centre workers who speak "broken English". And in some ways even appreciate what some of these call workers are going through.

Many are poor over-seas students who don't have much qualifications and doing these cheap jobs is the only option while they support themselves through their education and life in a foreign country to them.

Here I am knowing perfect fluent English and I still have great trouble with talking to people on phones,... while there are many people who despite struggle with their English but force themselves to do these horrible jobs just to survive and be open to public and social criticism and judgement...

This motivates me to think that if other people can do it, so can I.....

veggielover

I would much rather talk to a friend in person than on the phone. Talking to strangers is no big deal cause you know you'll never meet them (like the business phone calls). But for me actually getting myself to press the call button is the hardest part :( i worry too much about what i'm going to say or if im going to intrude on the person's plans that i'm trying to call. Sometimes i'll be contemplating whether just to press call for so long that I don't end up calling cause it's too late. It's horrible!! Another thing is when I do end up calling someone and then they don't answer is upsetting. Being rejected. :/

dottie

i hate talking on phones. as for difficulty in talking to strangers over the phone... it depends on the situation. if i am ordering a pizza, it is not such a big deal. if i am calling to follow up on a job interview or something then i freak.

LLLady

I'm not comfortable talking to people period ::eek::
I have no problem talking to Animals or Fish or Birds or Bugs LOL!
Just people seem to freak me out and here, all these years I was told I was just shy :eek:
haha! that's funny huh.

Krista

I find it much more difficult talking in person with people I don't know or like. I feel like I can't come up with anything to talk about and when I do it doesn't want to seem to come out, it's like I'm being scrutinized and every gesture, look or even the way I look isn't good enough. Sometimes it's just easier to talk over the phone because I can hide my awkwardness, the only problem is I intensely dislike talking on the phone with people. It seems antisocial and maybe it is but I can't seem to explain it.

I thought about this the other day. Before, when I was a teenager, I feared talking on the phone and would sweat. Now, It's still somewhat difficult but I noticed big improvements. I call customer service/take out/a store if I have to, and usually remain pretty calm. When I talk to girls, I'm constantly thinking about what to say/what not to say/how my voice sounds.

When I joined this site, I offered to chat on the phone in my intro... so, that's something.

i prefer talking in person cause i find it easier to express myself,
i cant stand the awkward silence when i have nothing to say which is pretty much the entire time im on the phone cause i cant think straight,and i end up coming off as a total dumb shit when i open my mouth.

Josh5339

The phone is better than in person, but it's still really difficult. I'm usually fine answering the phone. But, when I have to be the person that calls - I really have to prepare myself to do it.

olaf687

I hate talking on the phone, I just had a phone interview last week and I think I completely messed it up because they never called back. I feel weird about trying to end the conservation too. I always think Ill sound like im trying to get off the phone with them too early.