Superiority complex.....

planetweirdo

Dose it seem to you that most people like feeling more superior than other people. That most people like to be either intellectually, morally or physically superior to others. Why are people like that. Why do some people enjoy being better then others so much?

DepravedFurball

It's probably tied to individuals' sense of self-worth. If they feel they're superior to others around them, either they don't know exactly how insignificant they are in the universe, or they're being completely ignorant of that fact.

Still, I personally chuckle at those I see acting self-absorbed, because they're the ones that I look down on. :applause:

jaim38

I used to see this all the time. Such people create toxic negative environments to be in. I think people like to think and say they're superior to others because they want to have power/authority over others. And it makes them feel better about themselves too.

surewhynot

You evaluate yourself based on your perception of others. If you see yourself as inferior than others you'll most likely end up depressed, vice versa. Hence it makes complete sense that people would strive to view themselves as superior (in some area of life at the very least). While this can create arrogance and selfishness, it also pushes people to improve upon themselves.

cbtrox

I don't look at it entirely like that. Different people improve their character/intellect/morals/physique for different reasons. Being superior to others is only one of those reasons but definitely not the most reason. Look up Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

Also, people got to be set on different statuses so that life can move on, because that's the way the gears move; a CEO needs a baker, a baker needs a doctor, a doctor needs a car mechanic, etc. If all were on the same status life would shut down instantly.

Last edited:

dottie

it's human to want to feel important. i want to feel important.

Last edited:
Part of the human ego-mind, developed since early childhood in every person, is the urge to be superior to other ego-minds. The ego "feeds" off this energy of being/feeling superior. Of course the starting requirements are to feel separate from others/life, and to be completely identified with ones body & conscious mind; the ego builds-on from that starting foundation...

Srijita52

I think an amount of superiority complex is necessary, not to the point of becoming a narcissist of course. Well actually superiority complex isn't the right word for it, its more like thinking yourself as important while realising everyone else has positive qualites in their own unique ways. If you think of yourself as inferior to everyone else constantly or most of the time or think that its wrong to put yourself first you might end up in serious depression (been there, done that).

Last edited:

planetweirdo

Think's for all of your feedback :)

Also, people got to be set on different statuses so that life can move on, because that's the way the gears move; a CEO needs a baker, a baker needs a doctor, a doctor needs a car mechanic, etc. If all were on the same status life would shut down instantly.

That's true.

it's human to want to feel important. i want to feel important.

You are important. even if your not better the others. :thumbup:

Last edited:

cbtrox

"Do they distribute the mercy of your Lord? It is We who have apportioned among them their livelihood in the life of this world and have raised some of them above others in degrees [of rank] that they may make use of one another for service. But the mercy of your Lord is better than whatever they accumulate." - The Quran

Zod

I think it's fear-based. Most people don't like it when there's someone better out there, and let's face it, there always is in every field. So it's sort of identity/ego protection, to have a mental image of being better/more important/more intelligent/stronger/wealthier/more beautiful.
We couldn't stand it if anyone deems us less, so superiority complex is a sort of coping device of the mind.

That is just how it is. Most people are miserable and they measure their self worth by how much they own or if they have a skill, talent, better looks etc, than others. Sad thing is, it is that behavior that actually keeps them miserable.

laure15

There will always be people who are smarter, faster, richer, and more beautiful than us. But, I wouldn't judge them as being superior than us, or allow them to make us think we are inferior. It's important to have self worth so that we can think for ourselves and prevent ourselves from being used by others for their own self interests.

onehandclapping

Dose it seem to you that most people like feeling more superior than other people. That most people like to be either intellectually, morally or physically superior to others. Why are people like that. Why do some people enjoy being better then others so much?

probably instinctual on a basic human level. in the past we needed to compete against others for the best mate.

MikeyC

I think an amount of superiority complex is necessary, not to the point of becoming a narcissist of course. Well actually superiority complex isn't the right word for it, its more like thinking yourself as important while realising everyone else has positive qualites in their own unique ways. If you think of yourself as inferior to everyone else constantly or most of the time or think that its wrong to put yourself first you might end up in serious depression (been there, done that).
Such a good post here. I totally agree.

I suppose it's some kind of survival strategy or... something. It's annoying, though. And I don't mean annoying because other people want to feel superior (although that is annoying), I mean it's annoying to realize it in myself and yet not really be able to change it very much.

I guess that's one of the reasons some people turn to Buddhism - to escape the pain the ego causes. Supposedly it works if you get to a certain stage or practice it enough :idontknow:

Richey

I usually ignore them, which is a lot of people. Arrogance and ego is everywhere and its not nice.

I like personalities that are nice, helpful, mild mannered, maybe a little silly/funny. Where you don't feel like they are above anyone.

Kiwong

I have discovered that people occupying the extremes of politics have less tolerance of anyone else's world view. It's a quite ugly form of superiority complex, where it seems to give them the right to vilify and ridicule others who hold different views. It seems to be common trait of those on the far right and far left of politics.