Suddenly, I was normal!

Hastings & Main

Has anyone else on the boards ever experienced a sudden normalcy?
Everything gone, poof, no worries?

Some years back (you'd think it'd be something I'd mark on a calendar) in what I believe was a February, I woke up and felt different.
As the day wore on I realized that I was less tense - and actually felt no tension - on the streets, felt no anxiety in any way, I looked up at people, nodded, etc.
I met co-workers with signs of familiarity & ease. My body was relaxed. My eyes didn't flit around trying avoid others' gaze. In fact, looking in another's eyes was more like a challenge - albeit slight - that they should open up, nod, say Hi or whatnot.
My muscles in my shoulders & back weren't mildly sore after a day of feeling tense in society. I looked around a lot, observing much as if it were new.
My thoughts were clear, free of the mad jumble of riot-noise of 'who's that guy/she'd be disappointed with me/what's he staring at/why am I out here/maybe I'll just head home & go online/why can't I be like this/why can't I be like that/am I the only one/how do so many people all know each other & what the hell do they talk about with so much energy/does she find me attractive or is she smirking' mind-pollution.
There was no trace at all of that ever-present conscious or the unexplainable sub-conscious alertness of worry about what every person within sight was thinking of me, how I was being judged.
If a woman looked at me with a trace of a smile, I didn't automatically conclude that I had a piece of buttered toast stuck to my chin or had pie on my head.
No anxiety, no worrying, no endless self-examination, no nothing. Free and clear.

This lasted I think for three months. I literally woke up that way, no slow build-up. However, I did eventually return to my own 'normalcy', and it was a slow retrogression which brought me down from my 'normal-high' over the course of the last two of the three months.
Unfortunately, the whole time that I was feeling great, I was too fascinated by the difference, so wrapped up in trying to figure it out, that I never took advantage of it, never really pushed it ie. search out a perfect mate, etc. or whatever normal people do with themselves. Man, was that depressing when it was gone, but at least it would've been much worse if it had snapped off as quick as it came on.

Later I would mention it to the psych at VGH during my one free exam & he made a note of it with interest, so perhaps it's not that common.

So I was just wondering if anyone else here has experienced such a thing (that lasted more than at least a few days, as I have "good days" every so often), and if so, how long did it go on for?

punklove

I think for me that when most of grade nine. I felt surprisingly comfortable :) As if I were someone else.

Acegame

Thats very strange. Cant say that i have for such a long period of time. Allthough there are days that im almost free from any form of anxiety. Usually this is caused by something that has boosted my confidence, like a social situation that went very well. But that usually doesn't last longer than 1 week.

Can you detect any pattern what you may have done different those 3 months? Maybe it has something to do with food, sleep or exercise?

Hastings & Main

^ I wracked my brains at the time trying to figure it out, but I made no change in diet and didn't take any kinds of drugs - though I had been on Paxil or something several (7-8) months earlier for a few days and then off again, but that's too much of a kick-in time. Didn't do anything out of the ordinary.

3lefts

Never for months. Not even a day, I had that for about an hour today but it doesn't last. If I'm not social very often it doesn't work so well.
Was there anything different about those months in your life at the time? Obviously aside from being relaxed... I mean outside stuff, like being more social.

Acegame

Well these kind of moments where you feel totally normal and free from any anxiety always give me the feeling that its possible to get over it sometime. Thats a nice realisation as it. I believe every person can btw.

Feathers

Interesting. Did you move your bed or had any happy expectations or heard any good news? What kind of weather was it? (Sunlight-related?) February, hm? Some can be sunny and 'good'... (?)
And what eneded it? Did the weather change? (May is usually 'good' though..-?)
Any factories or cell phone antennas built near you?

It has happened to me for some time, but not like several months together, without reason.. And it usually was energy/exercise/nutrition/supplements/happy news/events/good books/good films/good music(etc)-related or such..
At a time it was years, again with interruptions, when I studied :) I was sooo happy to go and study in a new city and 'turn my life around' lol..

Last edited:

s_phobic

What usually happens to me is to wake up and don't feel much difference... but as I go out and enter the crowd it slowly comes to me that this is the Day - everything feels easy, even telling a good joke. As it goes next day I come back to 'normal'... the problem is that I cannot figure out what it depends on, but feeling is great! :)

Confuseddd

yes... i thought i was bipolar for the longest time.. still sorta do? definitly not sure what is up with that, but its almost like a gift.

Kato

I am bi-polar and I also have the personality disorder of AVPD. I get these sorta normal if not greater than normal days often through out the year. I can often get my hypomania to arise by using certain substances to kick start it. I mostly use coffee and ephedrine. I have done this for many many years not even knowing I was getting the high side of my bi-polar to surface. It just seemed much better when I did use these chemicals. Recently I learned from a doctor that there are other substances that are not too dangerous to help kick start it. It seems to blunt my AVPD and its gravity of avoidance. It never makes the avoidance,depression and or anxiety go fully away. It just gives me a little relief. Sometimes it is annoying because I am being to unrealistic about how good the future will be. I try to temper these feelings but it is difficult to give up thinking everything is great when in reality it is bad or just plain boring. Every once in a while I almost get the feelings that I am invincible. Similar to feeling like I am a god. It happens very rarely but I like this feeling. I believe this is similar to what the more serious type of Bi-polar feels like. However, that type makes you act completely detached from reality. I never feel that nor would I want it.

Mostly it is not good for me to do this because I am not dealing with the reality of my life only making it feel better for short times. My therapist is helping me learn more positive ways to better my situations in life.

Anyway, that is what I feel regarding this subject.

Forgotten-Children

I think this is happening for me right now because I'm perfectly fine talking with people I don't know at work. This is a good thing though because I need this job and can't afford to lose it.

hoddesdon

I think the critical point from this thread is that it is not inevitable you are doomed for all time (viz. Acegame).

Confuseddd

I am bi-polar and I also have the personality disorder of AVPD. I get these sorta normal if not greater than normal days often through out the year. I can often get my hypomania to arise by using certain substances to kick start it. I mostly use coffee and ephedrine. I have done this for many many years not even knowing I was getting the high side of my bi-polar to surface. It just seemed much better when I did use these chemicals. Recently I learned from a doctor that there are other substances that are not too dangerous to help kick start it. It seems to blunt my AVPD and its gravity of avoidance. It never makes the avoidance,depression and or anxiety go fully away. It just gives me a little relief. Sometimes it is annoying because I am being to unrealistic about how good the future will be. I try to temper these feelings but it is difficult to give up thinking everything is great when in reality it is bad or just plain boring. Every once in a while I almost get the feelings that I am invincible. Similar to feeling like I am a god. It happens very rarely but I like this feeling. I believe this is similar to what the more serious type of Bi-polar feels like. However, that type makes you act completely detached from reality. I never feel that nor would I want it.

Mostly it is not good for me to do this because I am not dealing with the reality of my life only making it feel better for short times. My therapist is helping me learn more positive ways to better my situations in life.

Anyway, that is what I feel regarding this subject.

i drink energy drinks whenever im at work because they make me feel ok.. like they make me talk and happy and they help me get through my day. Definitly provides relief... and i know what you mean about having thoughts that everything is way better then it really is. I feel great somedays and even when i rationalize my thoughts i still just feel good? could i be??...

Feathers

i drink energy drinks whenever im at work because they make me feel ok.. like they make me talk and happy and they help me get through my day. Definitly provides relief... and i know what you mean about having thoughts that everything is way better then it really is. I feel great somedays and even when i rationalize my thoughts i still just feel good? could i be??...

Ooh, be careful with energy drinks though.. They can have all sorts of iffy stuff in them and can wreak damage to your health if you overdo it with them.. They can lead to heart risks, strokes or such..
And considering all, it's still better to be alive (with a little anxiety, or tweaking it with food/exercise..) than not, no?

Kato, what sorts of 'healthier substances' were you talking about?