Stereotypical people

FriendlyShadow

Is it just me, or do all shows and movies these days have the same overused, typical characters. For example, You have the jock, nerd, The girly blonde bimbo, the guy who has the "I don't care look" attitude,Tomboy, ect. Why do some people think that people who are different from them, have to fit in a certain mold? I mean, would you think it's weird for a guy to like flowers, a girl to be girly but hates pink and dolls, a boy who doesn't play video games, hates sports and cars, and always looks his best? For me, I personally wouldn't because it's not common for alot of people to like a certain thing or hate them. Why can't we all be unique in our own way and not try to fit in with the crowd? One person told me that in Tv, it's not real, but I think to be honest, if people watch television with stereotype characters, then I think they'll tend to believe that that's how people should act even though it's wrong. I mean(and I discussed this with my dentist about that Roseanne show.) Now, don't get me wrong I like Roseanne and I think it's pretty funny at times, but it's very typical though and my dentist agreed with me also. I mean, you have Darlene who is a tomboy and likes to do all tomboy stuff, Becky who is a girly girl, DJ, who is the I guess you can say immature brother, ect. I don't know, maybe I got it all wrong. I just wish some people would understand that not eveyone has to do or like the same thing they do and that they don't need to be placed in a category that fits them. We are different, after all.

MikeyC

People have to create characters for TV shows that are going to be interesting. Knowing every single thing about a character is not viable and would put too much work on the creators of the show.

Each of us as individuals have hundreds of little annoyances, likes, dislikes, dreams, thoughts, emotions, opinions, nuances, and so on. TV characters are a lot more two dimensional and they're probably not the best guide for anyone to base regular people off of.

this_portrait

While there are plenty of us who are smart enough to realize that what's on TV and in the movies don't translate well to real life, there are a lot of people in the world who seem to try emulating what they see in entertainment, either directly or indirectly. That's pretty much why there are groups who protest for more accurate portrayals of people on TV and in movies.

However, I don't think you have to necessarily have to change what's on the screen. Like I already mentioned, it's fiction. People should be allowed to escape reality by creating unrealistic things for entertainment, as long as it's not overly offensive. I think there needs to be some kind of information put out there for the public that what they are seeing is really fiction and that it doesn't line up with reality. Likewise, parents and teachers should relay this information to kids as well.

O'Killian

Stereotypes exist for a reason. With fiction, it serves as a useful shorthand - at a glance viewer's expectations can be set so that they can infer enough about the character to have an idea of what they're like so the plot can move on or more focus can be placed on the unusual, stereotype-defying aspects of the character(s). And sometimes people just want light entertainment - nuanced characters would just get in the way.

And as has already been mentioned, this kind of stuff tends to be escapism - realism is secondary.

YellowBird

bless this post!people say"it's just tv,no big deal",but it really affects people and it's not just tv,it's the internet too,you have to be exactly the way you have to be or else,you are stupid and everyone should reject you right away,i still remember a scene from this movie,where this guy goes to a bar and meets a girl who has scars from self injury and asks her what they were and he walks away saying something like "woooow,cuckoo",and she looks happy and quirky eventhough, apparently she's depressed to do that to herself but they portray her like that to add to the"she's not good enough for our protagonist,she is the reject of society and doesn't deserve a storyline".

FriendlyShadow

I'm just sick and tired of seeing he same character being overused every time. Again not all people have to be the same as others want them to be. I'm glad I'm making a tv show that does not involve any stereotypes whatsoever, anyways.

FriendlyShadow

Plus, do you think it's weird what I posted saying a guy like flowers, talks on the phone. Or how about men and female stereotypes? Females should cook, clean,ect. Men should bring homme beer, meat, lazy, ect

FriendlyShadow

bless this post!people say"it's just tv,no big deal",but it really affects people and it's not just tv,it's the internet too,you have to be exactly the way you have to be or else,you are stupid and everyone should reject you right away,i still remember a scene from this movie,where this guy goes to a bar and meets a girl who has scars from self injury and asks her what they were and he walks away saying something like "woooow,cuckoo",and she looks happy and quirky eventhough, apparently she's depressed to do that to herself but they portray her like that to add to the"she's not good enough for our protagonist,she is the reject of society and doesn't deserve a storyline".[/QUOTE

I'm so glad you know what I'm talking about. It's like people who don't think people should act in a certain way, get looked down upon and considered weird. So, if I hate shopping for clothes and wearing accessories, but paint my nails and curl my hair, does that make me weird? It's very annoying.:mad:

MikeyC

So, if I hate shopping for clothes and wearing accessories, but paint my nails and curl my hair, does that make me weird? It's very annoying.:mad:
I think you're taking what you see on TV a little too literally. If people think you're weird for not enjoying shopping, that's more their issue than yours.

gustavofring

This post sounds to me kind of like "No good music is being made today, it's ALL crap!" An irrational generalization, because there is plenty of good music being made still, as well as the old artists music that still is available.

Some shows/series/movies have pretty well written , non cliché characters. You have to look for them. Also clichés aren't necessarily bad. As long as you don't take it so seriously and are able to disassociate real life from fiction. Some movies/shows even make fun of the clichés.

Last edited:

Roman Legion

This post sounds to me kind of like "No good music is being made today, it's ALL crap!" An irrational generalization, because there is plenty of good music being made still, as well as the old artists music that still is available.

Some shows/series/movies have pretty well written , non cliché characters. You have to look for them. Also clichés aren't necessarily bad. As long as you don't take it so seriously. Some movies/shows even make fun of the clichés.

Indie music has never failed me.. New indie music is great! :) But yeah, streotypes are hard to escape no matter what.

Srijita52

Stereotypes are everywhere, these types make things easier for us. All of us follow some kind of stereotype, we might intellectually know they're not true but we can't help it. The world's so complex and its practically impossible to think of everything on an individual basis. TV shows and movies just exaggerate these stereotypes. They should be considered as an ideal picture though, every person's unique.

Meggy0001

I do media studies in college and we have learned his, and apparently in television they use stereotypes because it's familiar to it, people are used to seing that and a lot of people don't like thinking outside the box an accepting new things so if something was different or these stereotypes where challenged people would not feel comfortable and it won't be familiar to them so they may watch it less. I don't know if that it true but that's what I learned lol

But I agree though :)

Kiwong

The best movies have characters with depth and storylines with intelligence. Movies like that are rare and worth seeking.

YellowBird

i don't think it's about the quality of tv shows,like "damn,i can't find anything to watch",but the more popular a show is,it says something about the people who are watching it,and the people you'll have to face in your life,and the rolemodels that are promoted are in a certain "mold",anything else that's a bit different,has no significance,just imagine in how i met your mother,there was someone who listened to indie"oh,yea the hipster,we can't have him in our basic cast,because he/she is a hipster you know,definitely cuckoo and pretentious blabla,lets just introduce him as that one weirdo that serves as a cause for a new story,but for one show,since only our normal cast deserves an amazing life"