So I finally got PAROLED from Mental Prison

Figuratively paroled, that is...

After nine years of undeserved punishment in the mental prison of social phobia, including at least two years of solitary confinement, I have finaly been paroled and am now residing in a correctional half-way house to serve out my probationary period! :D All of this is due to my recent CBT work and the assistance (offered or otherwise) of people on this website and several other support forums. Without you guys I couldn't have done it so soon, if it all.

My social phobia has taken a serious blow and is falling apart at the joints. In the last few days I made four new acquaintances whom I spontaneously met in a club, and on the street. One was in fact a girl from my neighborhood who I thought hated me. I have no consistent, overwhelming anxiety of meeting people, even though I have no friends and am still a "loser". It comes and goes and has mostly been gone for long periods of time even when I am sober.

I met a girl at a club and danced with her the entire night, then hung out with her friends aftewards. I didnt end up getting her and she didnt want to see me again. I felt crushed for a day. But I bounced back, and the important thing is I WAS MYSELF, and I had as much success as always, maybe more.

I have not lied to a single one of these people. Absolutely all of them know the truth about me. I tell them what I do in my free time (be a dork on the computer, skate, and party). I tell them Ive been depressed until very recently. I tell them it all. Ive had a number of very important thinking-transitions and many of my old phobophillic beliefs have been replaced with more reasonable ones. It remains to be seen if I can actually hold down a friendship or if I will prove to anxious to let others close enough. Whatever the case, the overwhelming fear of being discovered to be a loser is gone. Im not sure I realy am a loser anyway.

I would like to detail my transition in thinking. Here are my new beliefs:

1. It's highly likely that my unacceptable behavior, life-problems, and mental faults, are the direct result of my Generalized Social Anxiety Disorder, Performance Focused Social Phobias, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and OCD. I aim to prove this and am gearing up for the first and hopefuly final major assault on my disorders (hence my warfare avatar).

2. Other people are not qualified to judge me unless they've been in my shoes.

3. My disorders are neurologicaly based and formed by traumas. Therefore, they aren't my fault anymore than kidney disease or type-2 diabetes is anyone's fault.

4. If other people criticize me it will be VERY embarrassing, but I still have at least some self-worth, because a person's value can only come from inside.

5. I am not supposed to be anything except alive and fighting my Social Phobia like hell. This is a life-threatening illness that can, and does, ruin people's lives and can lead to suicide. It's a wonderful thing that I am still alive. I casually had planned to kill myself if my problems weren't resolved by age 21. When youre living like this, every day you aren't dead or suffering extreme pain is a miracle. The **** with a career and other people's standards. Im sick and I wont live like this, I need to get better or my life is over FOR REAL. And that's why Im not supposed to be anything except alive and fighting to get better, day by day.

Last edited:
it's huge being urself!!!! if only I could do that or know who I am.. always wanting to be somebody else.. keeps me from finding me.. I so envy u.. :) and the biggest orblem in SA is not being urself so u r almost there! good luck! :)

agoraphobickatie and Phobologist sitting in a tree:
K-I-S-S-I-N-G
First comes love,
then comes marriage,
then...

:)

Ironic indeed. I'm quite aware of your presence. ::p:

Sweet! Because youre one of the hottest girls on this site and a major poster who apparently has started many of the most significant threads. Like the picture thread, for instance, was your doing.

Did I tell you, I originaly came here during a fit of Pure-OCD to prove to myself that not all social phobes were freaks? I will be honest. I obsessively trawled through the pic thread and systematicaly read up on everyone's problems to make sure I was right. I know, it's creepy, but whatever. It helped me a lot to know there were so many respectable and cool people here. I was blown away by all the good looking folks who I don't even compare to also. And to think they believe they are ugly? WTF, SA I guess.

Interesting stuff....

Jake123

Banned
K-I-S-S-I-N-G
First comes love,
then comes marriage,
then...

Then comes an abrupt, tragic miscarriage
Then comes blame
Then comes despair
Two hearts damaged beyond repair
Katie leaves Phobo and takes the tree
D-I-V-O-R-C-E

K-I-S-S-I-N-G
First comes love,
then comes marriage,
then...

Pffffff I wish. First of all Katie can't figure out whether she wants to strangle me or just shoot me. :D It probably depends on what would cause me the most most pain so Im hoping to stay on her good side. That way when she goes ballistic I'll have it easy.

Second, Katie said she wasn't having no baby in no baby carriage. :)