So Awkward, It's Funny. Share Your Stories.

theoutsider

At my workplace we basically had unisex bathrooms. There was a picture of Einstein on one door and Marilyn Monroe on the other, but the bathrooms were the same and people got confused so often women would use the men's room and vice versa. The locks on the doors switched to "occupied" and occasionally someone wouldn't lock the door, and I always worried I'd walk in on someone. You know where this is going.

I did walk in on someone. A man was fortunately seated and I didn't see anything I shouldn't have, but man was that awkward. Lock the effing door, man! It was too loud in that place for knocking to be useful.

I walked in on a woman once too, but she was just washing her child's hands. Phew. Still awkward though.

LOL! That's actually happened to me twice in my lifetime. Once, I was on an airplane and went to one of the bathrooms. The old guy didn't lock the door and was just sitting there when I opened it. :eek: I slammed the door and went back to my seat, forgetting for a minute that I actually needed to go!

The second time I was at a Burger King and went to the public bathroom. Their bathroom is small with only one toilet so if somebody is in there they are supposed to lock the door. This homeless man was in there stuffing toilet paper in his underwear. :eek: I don't think I'll ever get that image out of my head.

sorrow1

Im not good at telling stories but this is one I recall being particularly awkward and I have to laugh about it now.

I work in quite a professional organisation but it requires a long travel to the area where I work from where my company is based so my job provides me and 3 others with a small office to work from upstairs in a community centre. The community centre itself is open to the public to use and run by staff Monday -Friday but it is ALWAYS closed at the weekend.
Me and my colleagues have a key to open up the community centre and so make use of it during the week but also enjoy having free range of the place on a weekend where we get to use the kitchen in the centre to make tea and coffee etc when the public aren't around.

A while back one of my colleagues rang me and told me he was on his way to the office. I had already opened up the building and was the only person in at the time.
A small time later I heard someone unlocking the back door when I was making tea, and for some reason in a split second of madness possibly due to the fact it was a Saturday and I was bored at work I decided to brighten up my own day and have a laugh with my colleague.
I thought it would be funny to give him a little fright! (I knew he would see the funny side of it)
So like a child (not a 26 year old bloke) I turned off all the lights in the kitchen and crouched hidden under the kitchen bench under the light switch snickering away to myself.
I waited till I heard the kitchen door open and the sound of footsteps crossing the floor and then when I heard the sound of someone turning on the light I leaped up from behind the kitchen bench and shouted "raaaaaaaaaah" as loud as I possibly could.
I heard someone scream and saw for a split second a figure recoil until the lights finally blinked on and I realised that this was not my colleague I had just leapt out on but in fact the boss of the whole community centre a person whom I had only spoken to a couple of times in my life when saying hello in passing. What made it even worse was the fact that he is one of the most frailest looking people you will ever meet well into his sixties and at that moment seriously looked like he was going to have a heart attack.
It happened to be the one and only time (even to this day) that he decided to come in on a Saturday to do some overtime paperwork.
I could only apologise profusely to him for my very unprofessional behaviour as he didn't look like he had seen the funny side and hoped and prayed he didn't file a complaint to my own boss.
My colleague arrived shortly after and he seemed to find the whole situation hilarious.

The second time I was at a Burger King and went to the public bathroom. Their bathroom is small with only one toilet so if somebody is in there they are supposed to lock the door. This homeless man was in there stuffing toilet paper in his underwear. :eek: I don't think I'll ever get that image out of my head.

3 weeks later... just saw this. Hahaha, horribly awkward but still hilarious, sorry :D I mean... not the fact he was homeless, but the toilet paper... yeah.

knr9311

So I'm not sure if this is directly related to social anxiety or if it was just a series of unfortunate events.

I was about 14 or 15 at the swimming pool in our town with my boyfriend at the time. Somehow, my bikini bottoms came untied & I pulled them back up real quick so no one saw me. Maybe two hours later I noticed that I had actually twisted my bikini underneath my hooha. We get ready to leave & I asked my boyfriend if he could just throw a towel to me. He said "Yeah, it would've been really embarrassing for you if you had gotten out."

End of story, he knew all along & I was mortified.

Megaten

I thought this was pretty funny later. I was on my way inside the gym one time The front of the building was all glass windows and doors so you could see people inside. So this really cute girl was on some stairmaster thing and I caught myself staring at her. When suddenly bam, I walk face first into a window like a confused bird. I left a big forehead print there and the girl saw it and got a good laugh. I probably should have tried to talk to her then lol.

theoutsider

So, over the past three months I've drummed up the nerve to delete "Friends" off my Facebook who I really don't care for much. Well, last Friday an ex co-worker who I got along with well invited me to lunch. No problem, I was happy with the prospect of catching up. Unbeknownst to me, he invited another ex co-worker who I used to work closely with. The second ex co-worker was one of the people I had not only unfriended but blocked on both my Facebook and Instagram account. We have mutual friends in common so I've a feeling he knows I deleted him and not the others. So, off to lunch the three of us went. I had my reasons for unfriending the guy so I really didn't mind speaking mostly to the co-worker who I got along with well. But at one point he left me and the other guy alone at the table while he picked up his food. What an awkward 5 minutes. I had nothing to say to the guy and he had nothing to say to me. Thank goodness for smartphones! We both just sat there pretending to be interested in other things...then I realized I had logged in to Facebook to kill time. The same Facebook where I had unfriended and blocked him. I don't know why he even had to agree to come along!

Miserum

So, over the past three months I've drummed up the nerve to delete "Friends" off my Facebook who I really don't care for much. Well, last Friday an ex co-worker who I got along with well invited me to lunch. No problem, I was happy with the prospect of catching up. Unbeknownst to me, he invited another ex co-worker who I used to work closely with. The second ex co-worker was one of the people I had not only unfriended but blocked on both my Facebook and Instagram account. We have mutual friends in common so I've a feeling he knows I deleted him and not the others. So, off to lunch the three of us went. I had my reasons for unfriending the guy so I really didn't mind speaking mostly to the co-worker who I got along with well. But at one point he left me and the other guy alone at the table while he picked up his food. What an awkward 5 minutes. I had nothing to say to the guy and he had nothing to say to me. Thank goodness for smartphones! We both just sat there pretending to be interested in other things...then I realized I had logged in to Facebook to kill time. The same Facebook where I had unfriended and blocked him. I don't know why he even had to agree to come along!

Man, I hate when people invite other people to a hangout at the last minute or even worse, don't even tell you til it's too late and you're already there. It's incredibly rude. What if I just wanted to hang out, just the two of us? Now there's a third wheel that I feel I have to entertain and make small talk with.

theoutsider

Man, I hate when people invite other people to a hangout at the last minute or even worse, don't even tell you til it's too late and you're already there. It's incredibly rude. What if I just wanted to hang out, just the two of us? Now there's a third wheel that I feel I have to entertain and make small talk with.

I agree and it seems to happen a lot with the people from this past job where I worked with the guy. Somebody calls me to go to happy hour, I agree because I get along with that particular person only to find out it was a group invite where I would have never agreed to hang out with 90% of the people there. I'm gonna just stop accepting invites from those guys.

Miserum

I agree and it seems to happen a lot with the people from this past job where I worked with the guy. Somebody calls me to go to happy hour, I agree because I get along with that particular person only to find out it was a group invite where I would have never agreed to hang out with 90% of the people there. I'm gonna just stop accepting invites from those guys.

Alternatively, you can message those people and ask to exclusively hang out with them and ignore them when they invite you out. Ex. "Hey, you wanna hang, just the two of us?"

And if they ask why, just tell them you aren't that crazy about hanging out in groups of people you don't know that well, but that you'd still like to see that person.

Idk if they'll respond rationally to that, but if you want to salvage the friendship it might be worth a shot.

Miserum

I'm sure many people have experienced this, but waving at/shouting at/smiling at someone when they wave/shout at/smile at you, but they're actually doing those things to someone behind you. Cringe.

This has happened to me several times and inevitably I have to pretend to be scratching my head or, if it's completely obvious that I did wave/say hi/smile back, I just laugh out of embarrassment while they completely ignore me. LOL.

Miserum

I think this girl could probably contribute to this thread:

Hu2DNv7.jpg

theoutsider

I'm sure many people have experienced this, but waving at/shouting at/smiling at someone when they wave/shout at/smile at you, but they're actually doing those things to someone behind you. Cringe.

This has happened to me several times and inevitably I have to pretend to be scratching my head or, if it's completely obvious that I did wave/say hi/smile back, I just laugh out of embarrassment while they completely ignore me. LOL.

Oh man, have I! The last time it happened there was no way I was able to pretend I was doing something else. I guess I was too busy trying to figure out who this guy was that was walking up to me and beginning a conversation. Only to find out he was talking and waving to the guy behind me.

Similarly, I've had people come up to me and start a conversation. They know my name and want to know how I've been doing. Unfortunately, I don't know (or can't remember) them from the man on the moon. So I spend a good 3 minutes or more having an awkward conversation with someone who I'm hoping to remember before they realize I have no idea who they are.

Last edited:

Miserum

Similarly, I've had people come up to me and start a conversation. They know my name and want to know how I've been doing. Unfortunately, I don't know (or can't remember) them from the man on the moon. So I spend a good 3 minutes or more having an awkward conversation with someone who I'm hoping to remember before they realize I have no idea who they are.

Lol. "Hey theoutsider! What's new?"

"Oh, hey there... you! Oh, same old same old, friend. How about you, pal?"

Hot_Tamale

I am a poor judge of social norms sometimes so that makes for awkward situations sometimes and I can end up getting myself in trouble too, lol...it's the most painful for me when I violate so called "unwritten" rules of how a male is supposed to act with strangers because they won't call me out on it but friends or family will.

Gather 'round close and I'll tell y'all a story about what happened today at work.

SO, I drink a lot of water, pretty much always in a water bottle except for at work; I drink from a fountain drink cup there.
I was in the break room and there was a bottle of water in front of me, so, naturally I drank from it without thinking. This particular water bottle was not new and nor was it mine! After bleaching my mouth and trying not to vomit because some random guy's mouth germs were now intertwined with my mouth germs, I bought him a new water bottle and had to come clean. He seemed put off and was, like, "well, it is what it is..." - I feel like a nasty creep now, but, perhaps I always was. I will definitely never do that again lol.