Shy on the internet?

Siegfried

I dont really know why most of the time my shyness goes so far, i mean... i use to visit a few forums in my country and foreigners too, but it becomes so hard for me to write any issues or discuss something that i really like, i feel that even people on the forum will ignore me or something, but here i see most of you even with SA can express themselves very well... but that's not my case, on the internet i'm almost the same way like in "real life"... someone else feels the same? :confused:

brainfog

I can relate to that, especially a thread on this site in particular.....
That happens to me from time to time, depends if im knowledgeable on the subject being discussed as my main reason

Last edited:

MrJones

I remember that when I joined here I could barely talk and still now sometimes I think I should stop posting. But now look at the number of posts I've made :p

Everything gets better with practice. Just keep trying, start posting whenever you feel and you will be more comfortable with time.

I still have a really hard time using chats or even minimessenger, forget about making threads (I made a couple and I still regret it -_-)

This is basically the same as everything else: you start at your level and then you can improve it by just practicing more and more :)

Phoenixx

I remember that when I joined here I could barely talk and still now sometimes I think I should stop posting. But now look at the number of posts I've made :p

Everything gets better with practice. Just keep trying, start posting whenever you feel and you will be more comfortable with time.

I still have a really hard time using chats or even minimessenger, forget about making threads (I made a couple and I still regret it -_-)

This is basically the same as everything else: you start at your level and then you can improve it by just practicing more and more :)
^ What this man said. :)

When I first joined this forum, I found a hard time posting too. I couldn't use the chatbox at all because it scared me, and the mini messenger made me nervous too. I couldn't even make my own thread. I just posted wherever, whenever I felt comfortable. I honestly didn't even think I'd stick around because I was pretty nervous about posting and talking to other people.

But like Jonesy said, it takes practice. I didn't start using the chatbox until a few months ago, and I didn't even make my first thread until last month. The first couple months on the site though, I found using the mini messenger to be a little easier, but that's because one on one messaging is easier for me to get into even if I am nervous at first.

So, just ease yourself into it little at a time. It's really all baby steps.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
My shyness on the internet seems to come and go, and there are some things I am much more shy about than others, usually specific topics I'll always be uneasy about. I'm more shy about somethings on the internet than I was when I first started and less shy about others, but overall I'm much less shy than I am off the internet.

Penny420

I'm the same way. I find this site and think "great now I can just pour it all out"

I have so much I want to say I feel like I'm going to boil over...then I start to write whatever it is I'm feeling about a post that I can relate to and I freeze...

I start thinking way to much about what I'm writing... how ppl are going to respond (if they respond at all). If I should even be posting anything to begin with.

Its not only on this site...I'm the same way with emails and msn.

The Delete button has been my friend for way too long:( and will probably be that way for awhile, unfortunately.

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
If somebody died every time I said something stupid then half this site would be gone. Besides, we're all in the same boat, so there's way more wiggle-room here to be yourself and just speak your mind. It's alright.

bigcat1967

I used to be afraid of the same thing - however, I found that this was the easiest part of SA to overcome. I kept doing it until I felt comfortable.

MrJones

If somebody died every time I said something stupid then half this site would be gone.
Ugh, I have to say the same, here >.<
And at times it made me feel really awful as there are some people I really appreciate. And it still happens, sadly. But you know what? They always forgive me, as inappropiate as I can be sometimes (not intentionally, of course) people on this forum are caring and friendly.

So you can go and say whatever you want without any fear :)

KiaKaha

Banned
I am shy on the internet as well. I feel very self conscious about what it is that I have said before I post it, because I am certain that I am going to sound foolish and everyone here will think I am some kind of idiot. I rarely "quote" other people in threads too, even though sometimes I want too, because I would like to engage with people here a bit more, or I want to talk about a point specifically.. I dont because I dont want to draw attention to myself from anyone in particular. I usually have to re read my post a few times before I submit.

YellowBird

I dont really know why most of the time my shyness goes so far, i mean... i use to visit a few forums in my country and foreigners too, but it becomes so hard for me to write any issues or discuss something that i really like, i feel that even people on the forum will ignore me or something, but here i see most of you even with SA can express themselves very well... but that's not my case, on the internet i'm almost the same way like in "real life"... someone else feels the same? :confused:

I'm new too and I feel the same,I guess those who talk a lot know each other by now.

Kiwong

I tend to be outspoken in my posts, I sometimes post without thinking things through. This is true in real life, I am outspoken too, sometimes to my detriment.

Only things I am shy about are the mini messenger, chat and making friend requests. I think I have only made two friend request myself all the other were by other posters. Same as real life I don'e make friends, people reach out to me, not the other way around.

Luka

Me too. But sometimes (rarely) I overcome it and just think, 'ah well It's just the internet, just do it!' and I do. I also have a hate love relationship with mmorpgs because when I have to join parties even that makes me nervous ¬_¬

MaliceInWickedland

Shy in real life, not so shy on the internet. Seriously, I could have easily filled up a hundred dictionaries with all that I've said on here by now ::p:

Siegfried

Well, i really thank you all for responding, really i thought that this post would be in oblivion haha, as i said before i'm kind of new but one of the things I really like about this forum is that people interact much with each other, and many are very friendly... and like many here i never express to much what i feel, not because i dont want to... because of shynnes and fear perhaps ... but I think it is a good start and i will try to do it more often... :)