Showers

Closeout

Does anyone else feel a panic attack coming on when they're in the shower? I feel like I have to rush through my shower, just so I can step out and calm down. It also heightens my shower anxiety when my family is home. I only like to take showers when I'm completely home alone.

LadyWench

I've had panic attacks in the shower, yes. Not fun at all. I'm like you, I feel that I need to hurry up and rush through the rest of my bathing just so I can get out and try to get over the anxiety. Ironically, I sometimes take showers to try and calm down from a panic attack, though. Depending on how severe it is, it sometimes helps.

agoraphobickatie

ahhhh! i thought i might have been the ONLY one in the world like this! haha... i don't know, i've pretty much gotten over it, but i was that way for a while when i lived with my boyfriend, and i liked to shower when i was home alone too... the hot water would make me feel weak and i would start freaking out like i might faint or something and i would get panic attacks in the shower... craziness! i found that turning the water to cool or cold really helped me feel better, and i also started bringing my phone (ipod/mp3 player/whatever ya got) in the bathroom and playing a play list of songs that would make me smile and keep my attention elsewhere... that's pretty much all i did to help me quit freaking out in the shower, now i don't usually feel the panic coming on, but if i do i try to do those two things and it helps :) hope ya start feelin' better!

Closeout

ahhhh! i thought i might have been the ONLY one in the world like this! haha... i don't know, i've pretty much gotten over it, but i was that way for a while when i lived with my boyfriend, and i liked to shower when i was home alone too... the hot water would make me feel weak and i would start freaking out like i might faint or something and i would get panic attacks in the shower... craziness! i found that turning the water to cool or cold really helped me feel better, and i also started bringing my phone (ipod/mp3 player/whatever ya got) in the bathroom and playing a play list of songs that would make me smile and keep my attention elsewhere... that's pretty much all i did to help me quit freaking out in the shower, now i don't usually feel the panic coming on, but if i do i try to do those two things and it helps :) hope ya start feelin' better!

yeah I actually did faint once from having the water too hot, so I think that's what triggers it. I always turn the water very cold before I get out. I used to play Elliott Smith while I was in the shower, and that would help a bit. Hope you start feeling better too! :)

Emily_G

I don't like to shower when companies over, like if someone's spending the night. Family is alright, but anyone else I hate to shower when they're over....bleck. Esp since we own a small ranch, the living room and the bathroom are very close.

thursdays_child

Showers are stressful for me, though I haven't quite had a panic attack during one, I don't think. I think mine also stress me out because I have FMS, and it makes it harder to shower. I find myself rushing through.

Square_Eyes

Showers are one of the few simple things that actually lift my mood. Everything about me, both physically and emotionally, feels drastically different afterwards. I generally feel more energetic, positive and focused after a good shower.

Lonelykitsune

I am ok with showers when im alone or with family in the house but i hate them at othr peoples houses,or on an ovrnight school or something.Ive never had a panic attack though

Interzone

I don't have a problem with showers, if anything I love them. When I was younger though I use to rush through them, especially at night because I thought an alien would look in through the window (lol).

Hot showers just relax me, it's a great place to get away from everything, especially while there are other people in your house. I do tend to feel better after a nice bath too.

206Raider

actually I always shower when I'm feeling stressed or anxious becuase it calms me down, it sucks that ya'll get panic attacks. I guess I probably would get a lot more anxious at other people's houses though, having a car is good though becuase if I go to a party and pass out (havent for awhile though, drinking hasn't sounded like fun lately) like I have on the bathroom floor, I always just leave in the morning, I don't want to shower over there, I just want to leave.

Mikey

I've had panic attacks from being in the shower, for sure. Sometimes I'll zone out in the shower, and then the like...snapping out of zoning out makes me think "Whoa, something's wrong" and it gives me that panic feeling.

Predacon

I can't say I have a problem with showers, though when I was a kid I was afraid of going swimming. I always made sure to avoid the deep end.