Should I tell someone?

WiwerGoch

I've had enough of these panic attacks, I want them to go! I want to tell someone how I feel but I don't know who and I don't know how. I'm not even sure if I should, because once someone (i.e my parents) know how I feel things will change...and I'm not sure if I want that. :S Help!

scoobycrawler

Okay I can give you a heads up because I have been in a similar situation where I might lose power (control) in if I told my parents. You can keep posting here and stuff and vent, ask questions, or just need to reach others. If you really think you need something for random panic attacks you could go see a physician then maybe get something for your panic attacks. Be real honest with yourslef because if you tell your parents its possible that they could put you in a psychiatric unit for awhile but I don't know everything about your situation. Its not that big of a deal if you are haveing random panic attacks and you don't know why you probably should see a doctor and try to get some adivan or xanex or vallium or whatever they give to stop that from happening. I dont' have a clue as to how old you are but my mom started having those in her teens and she still get pills for when she needs them but if you are a minor you may have to let your parents know so you can use their insurance or however you pay to see a doctor.

I've had enough of these panic attacks, I want them to go! I want to tell someone how I feel but I don't know who and I don't know how. I'm not even sure if I should, because once someone (i.e my parents) know how I feel things will change...and I'm not sure if I want that. :S Help!

See your doc and say > "I think I'm having panic attacks"

Last edited:

Kat

Yeah, it’s probably best to speak with a professional first. People that don’t understand may not mean to be but can be overbearing trying to change you how they see fit and do more harm than good. Maybe a therapist could help break the ice if you would like to still tell them.

Kiwong

You could talk about them to a counsellor.

My GP didn't help much when I was having panic attacks. A prescription for Prozac, and lie down and relax was it. The most useful thing the GP did was rule out some life threatening conditions that panic can mimic.

I found that visits to a counsellor and a cardiologist (stress test, 24 hour blood pressure monitor) where most helpful. I haven't had one for 4 years, although I still get the panic feeling.

I guess it was when I knew that a panic attack wasn't going to kill was when tbey lost power over me.

Last edited:

panicsurvivor

Are they random Panic Attacks? Is there something that is directly triggering them? How old are you? This is my arena, and I can give you a lot of advice. But I need to know a little more. If you don't feel comfortable giving more info in the forums, PM me.

Ignace

Telling someone will definitely relieve some of the stress. But as you said, from that point on, people will look at you in a whole different way.

BDDgirl

See a GP like people advised you, the NHS is geared to help with this much better now as it is becoming more common with modern living, GP's are trained to help these days.

xMonkeyx

your parents should be there to support you....even thought its hard to lose that control, you need support around you....please take it from someone who knows, im in a worst place now because i didnt want to lose that control by telling people im struggling and i need help. Now that i have just given in to that i feel much better and am getting help and know i have their support with all this if i need them. try to let go of your pride and feeling as though you need to control the situation :) i hope you do go to them, then you can work out a plan together to see a doctor and get things back on track