Scared as hell!! Starting new job tomorrow...

Dark angel

I just received the phone call this morning that I got this temporary job position at a hospital answering phone calls and doing basically some receptionist duties. I'm scared, I haven't work in almost 8 years. And all of this is gonna be new for me. I'm scared because in order to do this, I had to let some other plans behind and pending and my main fear is doing things wrong tomorrow or having to ask things constantly or not understanding what I got to do!! I don't even know how I got this job. It came suddenly and from nowhere because originally I apply to become a volunteer at that hospital but the president of that department for some reason, after our interview called the next day and she told me about the position they were offering in this other department... She said: "for some reason I immediately thought of you and that is why I'm calling!" I mean, what the heck? What she saw in me to trust me so deeply? I thought our interview went horribly wrong because I was all nervous, stuttering and sweaty but she still trusted me enough to bother and informed me about this position. I'm afraid of dissapointing her trust. To make things worst, Im not very good when it comes off to answer calls from strangers, I tend to get very nervous, so I'll have to suck it up somehow. Moreover, there is my "awesome skills at socializing". I'll have to interact with others which tends to drain me from inside out and I dont know how to approach others. For this reason people usually think that I am unpleasant to be around. All of this thoughts won't leave me alone and are giving me a massive headache. I mean, I'm extremely thankful for this great opportunity but yet, I'm so afraid of ruining it so badly... I'm so afraid and I feel this massive pressure and tension in my head right now, I don't want to mess this up :(

Lamb

I'm happy for you. Sounds like a gift from the gods, lol. It's perfectly normal to be nervous the first couple of days. Remember, they're going to train you and hopefully you'll start to feel more comfortable once you get into the swing of things. You'll never know unless you try right? :) Good luck! I think you'll be fine.

PseudoLoneWolf

It is normal to be excited if you are not a sociopath. You will get used to it anyways. You just need time. Try not to think about it too much.

Solitudes_Grace

Starting a new job can make people with social phobia feel like they are in one of the seven circles of hell. I know how tough it can be. I think that many of us here often worry that a new job will be worse than what it actually turns out to be. Try to get a decent sleep and definitely eat a good breakfast tomorrow. Good sleep and food can really help alleviate anxiety; at least, I personally find that when I don't get enough sleep and/or when I skip breakfast, my anxiety levels tend to be much higher.

Regardless of whether you have a good day or a bad day tomorrow, try to realize that the first day is usually the hardest. I hope it turns out well for you.

Last edited:

jaim38

I have phone fear too, but speaking to strangers on video chat (without webcam on) somehow alleviated the fear a bit. It takes practice and I'm willing to bet that 6 months on the job, phone speaking will become second nature to you. Practice with a friend or family member over the phone (or skype) and you will improve.

ImNotMyIllness

Congratulations! My first job out of college was phone sales. At first I was nervous as hell and stuttered but them through constantly doing it, I became good.

Continuous exposure will help you! Be strong. YOU CAN DO IT!

Plan9

They clearly see some thing in you or they would not have offered the job, so it sees like a really good thing. It's normal too feel nervous (I get nervous goining back to my job after a holiday let alone a new one). It's always hard for the first few weeks, so make sure you take care of yourself, it will get a lot easyer with time.

THeCARS1979

I just received the phone call this morning that I got this temporary job position at a hospital answering phone calls and doing basically some receptionist duties. I'm scared, I haven't work in almost 8 years. And all of this is gonna be new for me. I'm scared because in order to do this, I had to let some other plans behind and pending and my main fear is doing things wrong tomorrow or having to ask things constantly or not understanding what I got to do!! I don't even know how I got this job. It came suddenly and from nowhere because originally I apply to become a volunteer at that hospital but the president of that department for some reason, after our interview called the next day and she told me about the position they were offering in this other department... She said: "for some reason I immediately thought of you and that is why I'm calling!" I mean, what the heck? What she saw in me to trust me so deeply? I thought our interview went horribly wrong because I was all nervous, stuttering and sweaty but she still trusted me enough to bother and informed me about this position. I'm afraid of dissapointing her trust. To make things worst, Im not very good when it comes off to answer calls from strangers, I tend to get very nervous, so I'll have to suck it up somehow. Moreover, there is my "awesome skills at socializing". I'll have to interact with others which tends to drain me from inside out and I dont know how to approach others. For this reason people usually think that I am unpleasant to be around. All of this thoughts won't leave me alone and are giving me a massive headache. I mean, I'm extremely thankful for this great opportunity but yet, I'm so afraid of ruining it so badly... I'm so afraid and I feel this massive pressure and tension in my head right now, I don't want to mess this up :(

Hey youll be okay, just trust yourself and see if they leave a guide line in front of your phone. Also maybe youll be in training so you'll see what do before you do it. The other thing is , if you need help , there is nothing wrong with asking for it. I think I remember you though in a post.
Steve