Religion and SA

westminster

Slightly intense one...

I'm happily agnostic, however I wondered if anyone had tackled SA successfully through religion?

I mean religion in the broadest sense: prayer, belief, meditation, enlightment.

Has anyone been helped, and how?

i tried it for a while, i have always been kind of religious. when my SA got really bad tho, i tried looking to religion for answers. It did help somewhat, just having the feeling that there was something bigger than all of us here. Made some problems just seem trivial.

Lonelykitsune

i am catholic since birth but not a very devoted one but you once you go vatican you cant go back again.Im now more of an agnostic,partly due to SA.But also a lot of christianitys rules seem unfair,particulary if your a woman

Last edited:

Enialis227

Zen thinking and meditation helps me keep things in perspective, but it never was an answer. It was just that I could use parts of Zen as coping techniques to handle stress.
This is common practice now in anti-anxiety therapy; it is called "mindfulness".

Hellhound

Super Moderator
Religion and religious fanatics have screwed me up emotionally. I've had enough of those things, so that would be the last thing i would ever consider.

I personally think that the only way God could help cure me of SA, is if he made a truck run over me while I'm crossing a road. Negative thinking I know,::eek:: But I can't help it.

Lorraine Manca

i know one thing! the catholic mass is terrible for social phobic folks. you have to shake everyones hand, hold hands during the our father, AND drink and eat in front of folks. this is the body of christ, DONT DROP IT well then your brain thinks dont drop dont drop dont drop, and oops there it goes! just kidding ive never dropped the communion chip before, but im waitin for the day i do.

on a serious note, i really do believe everyone is connected and there is a unity underneath everything. this helps me alot, because i dont feel like i need to talk with people or be their best friend or connect with people, because the connections already there. even if i cant develope relationships easily, i have that spiritual connection so the disorder doesnt bother me as much.

Silvox Black

I was once religious. At the moment I am currently undecided. I am Christian, but I do not support the Church for all the ignorance it breeds. To be honest though, I've never found religion to be an opiate for me anymore. What you should do though, is up to you. Decide if you feel religion is truly something you believe in and is something you would dedicate yourself to. Find what you believe and find your peace of mind from there.

AimeeSP

I'm on and off with Christianity i find it really hard to be living that life style when i'm so emotionally weak at the moment. (although - i know thats the point to pray lol, but im kinda inpatient now when it comes down to my anxiety problems since it's been years.)

I do know a friend of a friend though who had agrophobia and apprantly through prayer she managed to control her emotions and fears and now is happily married, has a kid, and goes to Church every sunday.

Walk

I'm not religious. I think that the constant "why?" to all of the unfairness in the world is just too much for a god to exist. God meaning some "one" or some "thing" who is in control.

And nevermind the superstitious bullcrap that is force fed to young kids by religions. Too much to bare, no thanks. Thankfully, as long as science and technology progress, more and more of the superstition is slowly melting away.

I feel my ranting nerves beginning to twitch, so I'll just say this: Most religions usually turn out to be the superstitious beliefs of a certain people during a certain time. Religions formerly taught as truth in their time turn out to become the ancient mythologies taught in 6th grade history class.

LadyWench

Religion is a comfort blanket. God forbid you try and overcome your mental disabilities on your own. Or if you do heal, you can't even thank yourself or give yourself praise for fighting against SA or any other issue. It was God that did it, oh em gee! Not me! I can't take the credit!

Religion is a comfort blanket. God forbid you try and overcome your mental disabilities on your own. Or if you do heal, you can't even thank yourself or give yourself praise for fighting against SA or any other issue. It was God that did it, oh em gee! Not me! I can't take the credit!

exactly, i'm not neglecting God.. but it is true.. but u still do need some , even if evened help... :)

Satine

I'm an atheist; although it is not directly related to my overcoming SA, the ethos of taking responsibility for myself rather than imagining a big invisible daddy to look after me always helped. The day I took responsibility for my own actions and worked out what I was going to do about it, I got some power over the situation and my anxiety lessened.

Or I at least managed to put in the groundwork to help lessen it.

da_illest101

I used to be religious, but that was mostly due to people around me. After a few history class and seeing what religion was used for, i decide to not believe in it anymore and it didn't change my life one bit. I see religion more of a way to control people's feeling then anything else. anyways that's just my opinion, i'm not here to insult anyone's religious beliefs