Relationships: How often would you want to see your intimate other?

Lamb

Realistically speaking, how often would you expect to spend time with your girlfriend/boyfriend within the given time frame of a week? (ex: 2 days, 3, etc.)

To those of you not in a relationship, the question still applies.

I'm more interested in male user answers, but ladies are welcome too. Curious as to whether there's a pattern of preferred time investment.

MikeyC

It does differ from couple to couple - work schedules, kids if there are any, if you have cars, if you live locally enough. There are a lot of factors involved.

If the two of you like each other enough, seeing each other at most opportunities might be the way.

For me, I want to see Fiona every day, but we live so far away that it's just not feasible. She can probably do with less visits, just from what I can tell, but we both make do.

Lamb

It does differ from couple to couple - work schedules, kids if there are any, if you have cars, if you live locally enough. There are a lot of factors involved.

If the two of you like each other enough, seeing each other at most opportunities might be the way.

For me, I want to see Fiona every day, but we live so far away that it's just not feasible. She can probably do with less visits, just from what I can tell, but we both make do.

True. *Edit: For those who post, perhaps you can explain your ideal scenario (if you're not in a relationship currently) or situation (if you are) a bit. How often is that for you then, Mikey?

Last edited:

MikeyC

How often is that for you then, Mikey?
Fiona and I don't live locally, so I have to take time off work to get to Melbourne and visit her, so it's not often I can do that. I did it last weekend thanks to Easter, but I don't know when the next one will be. We just have to wait and see.

Kiwong

Every leap year, when the moon is full.

In other words I don't want an intimate other.

Lamb

Every leap year, when the moon is full.

In other words I don't want an intimate other.

I might reach that stage eventually.

winja said:
Off Topic Rant (but I've typed it now)
I'd hate having to go to places with girls. I mean why does "going out" with a girl always seem to involve going out. Can't they go out by themselves and give me some alone time. I've given up on a few girls because they couldn't understand that they're social demands were unbearable.

:giggle: Maybe they have SA?

Amitush123

That's a good question.
every relationship, I first want to spend more and more time...however, after a month I can't wait to break up..like it's too much for me..weird stuff

LoyalXenite

well considering i live with my partner i like to spend as much time as is practical with her everyday, around Uni and other responsibilities that is.

coyote

shouldn't my partner be able to read my mind and know when i want her to be there and when i want her to give me space without me having to communicate with her?

:idontknow:

Starry

Every day - as much time as possible lol.

My husband and I spend 90-odd % of our time together... The only time we're separate is when in the bathroom, or when I'm exercising (he goes into another room and reads or listens to music), or if he has to go to an appointment somewhere (before my agoraphobia returned we went to those together too). Neither of us wants "alone time", since we're happiest together.

Of course, we still do our own things - for example, one of us will be on the computer whilst the other reads or writes, but we're always in close proximity and usually talk to each other even when doing separate things.

Amitush123

I've recently become single.

In the beginning of my last relationship I wanted to speak to and be with her as much as possible. That gradually lost its shine. Towards the end, I couldn't get my personal space or time alone to think without being interrogated after short absences. I ended up not wanting to speak to her anymore.

When you tell them to leave you alone, and they continue until it finally escalates to "f off", it's time to end it. haha

You have no idea how right you are..thinking of it, you probably do, hehe..
When someone tries to take away my space, I shut down...and that means bad day for everyone :veryangry:

Pookah

When my husband was my boyfriend we skyped every day. So I'm guessing every day as permitting when in the same place. But that is probably too much earlier in a relationship, but if you end up living together its going to be every day obviously.

this_portrait

These days? Oh, maybe once a week at most because of my busy schedule and interest in other, more important things. Too bad not many dudes would be up for such a situation.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
Everyday, if possible. But I'd also want some time to myself at times. I'm sure he'd want the same.

MikeyC

shouldn't my partner be able to read my mind and know when i want her to be there and when i want her to give me space without me having to communicate with her?

:idontknow:
This is where communication - a vital asset to any relationship as much as what goes on between the sheets - is key. There will be times in any relationship where one half wants to be left alone for whatever reason, so fleshing it out and talking about it is the best way. :thumbup:

I understand the sarcasm in your post, by the way. :bigsmile:

Everyday, if possible. But I'd also want some time to myself at times. I'm sure he'd want the same.
Exactly.

As much as possible except when I need to be alone. Due to the fact that I work from 4:30 p.m. to sometimes 6 a.m. I don't get to see my wife much through the week and it SUCKS!

ImNotMyIllness

Every day - as much time as possible lol.

My husband and I spend 90-odd % of our time together... The only time we're separate is when in the bathroom, or when I'm exercising (he goes into another room and reads or listens to music), or if he has to go to an appointment somewhere (before my agoraphobia returned we went to those together too). Neither of us wants "alone time", since we're happiest together.

Of course, we still do our own things - for example, one of us will be on the computer whilst the other reads or writes, but we're always in close proximity and usually talk to each other even when doing separate things.

I like Starry's answer. I would also want to be very close....but, it depends on the circumstances (workload, location etc)........at least, twice a week. A few times would be more like it. Anything more than that, is even better unless both parties are too busy or live far apart.

Lamb

For those who have mentioned wanting alone time, what is a substantial amount that you'd require for yourself?