Post your picture thread - the debate

Are you for or against having a "Post your picture thread" or similar thread?

• For/Support

Votes: 36 64.3%
  • Unsure/Undecided/Neutral/Both/Neither

Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Against/Reject

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I no longer understand what's the subject of discussion at this point.

:idontknow:

But I think that we can take this:

1) There's a really cute kitty pic above your post awww
2) There's some more cute animal pictures a couple pages back
3) There's a picture of our most attractive forum member :inlove: Hubert <3

1BlackSheep

^ You're basically saying that some people who have posted in the thread aren't intelligent. I understand though, because it's sometimes hard to not get frustrated and say things that may not be nice when someone posts something that you find appalling or naive. I'm guilty as well.

WishingICould

That's not atypical around here :p

But I think most forums are probably like that. They are made up of people with vastly different opinions, after all.

I'm not saying I'm not one of the people who joined in with the argument but I can see it's getting a bit silly. I think certain people enjoy saying things that they know will offend people then act innocent when things kick off.

Last edited:

KiaKaha

Banned
It's not smarmy, I have SA and Pure OCD, I've been to deep and back. People here have to change that way of thinking to get better, that path leads to torment.

Let it go (my advice to anyone here).

I think you are mistaking critical thinking for over thinking. And yes remus - it is smarmy - and condescending - although no doubt you would disagree.

I don't really understand why people don't have the capacity to talk about topics that make them feel so desperately uncomfortable. If talking about topics, and someone disagrees with you or upsets you so much - there is no reason to derail it or feel distressed - just don't participate in the thread. There are lots of threads where you can ramble away about nothing that are 'safe.'

Last edited:

Hellhound

Super Moderator
^ You're basically saying that some people who have posted in the thread aren't intelligent. I understand though, because it's sometimes hard to not get frustrated and say things that may not be nice when someone posts something that you find appalling or naive. I'm guilty as well.

The whole discussion in general is just... ugh.

I didn't mean to sound like a jerk, but seriously? Threads like these don't help if you're already feeling insecure. A lot of us struggle with a messed up self-image, do we need people reinforcing it? And for no reason at all? Because the "attractive people get more responses" statement is ridiculous. There's not a general rule about what it's attractive, unless you're brainwashed by the media.

If you have your own opinion on what it's attractive, good for you, I will respect it. But I've seen some trying to shove their opinion down everyone else's throat. If others don't care about looks, what's wrong with that? Why should someone come and preach about how we are fooling ourselves?

That attitude makes me more upset than the thread itself.

WishingICould

The whole discussion in general is just... ugh.

I didn't mean to sound like a jerk, but seriously? Threads like these don't help if you're already feeling insecure. A lot of us struggle with a messed up self-image, do we need people reinforcing it? And for no reason at all? Because the "attractive people get more responses" statement is ridiculous. There's not a general rule about what it's attractive, unless you're brainwashed by the media.

If you have your own opinion on what it's attractive, good for you, I will respect it. But I've seen some trying to shove their opinion down everyone else's throat. If others don't care about looks, what's wrong with that? Why should someone come and preach about how we are fooling ourselves?

That attitude makes me more upset than the thread itself.

This ^ If you want to discuss things, why not make a new thread instead of posting on a thread that is for posting pictures on, not to argue about who is more attractive or what not having many comments on your picture means? This is what I've been trying to say since this argument started. There's a time and a place for discussing it and that picture thread wasn't. Yes Kia, I'm talking to you. Others might not like me for calling you out on it but I'm not going to worry about that.

Last edited:

coyote

I'm not say I'm not one of the people who joined in with the argument but I can see it's getting a bit silly. I think certain people enjoy saying things that they know will offend people then act innocent when things kick off.

well, apparently they feel it is their responsibility to make sure the rest of the world conforms to their own personal view of how people are supposed to behave.

so they can't really see how upsetting it might be to anyone who suffers from social anxiety to be judged by them - in a forum for people looking for support for their fear of being judged.

Last edited:
I think you are mistaking critical thinking for over thinking. And yes remus - it is smarmy - and condescending - although no doubt you would disagree.

You're making this so personal:idontknow:. You're a grown man, I'm embarrassed for you, these are the kinda remarks you'd expect from a rebellious child.

I have to agree with an earlier comment that this is an attack and it's really not cool.

1BlackSheep

This ^ If you want to discuss things, why not make a new thread instead of posting on a thread that is for posting pictures on, not to argue about who is more attractive or what not having many comments on your picture means? This is what I've been trying to say since this argument started. There's a time and a place for discussing it and that picture thread wasn't. Yes Kia, I'm talking to you. Others might not like me for calling you out on it but I'm not going to worry about that.
But Kia wasn't the one who started this topic - it was TheSlowestHand. :question:

well, apparently they feel it is their responsibility to make sure the rest of the world conforms to their own personal view of how people are supposed to behave.

so they can't really see how upsetting it might be to anyone who suffers from social anxiety to be judged by them - in a forum for people looking for support for their fear of being judged.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. You often tell us how we should view things too, so isn't that kind of expecting us to conform to your opinion? I think it goes both ways. I personally think you both have valid points on certain matters.

You're making this so personal:idontknow:. You're a grown man, I'm embarrassed for you, these are the kinda remarks you'd expect from a rebellious child.

I have to agree with an earlier comment that this is an attack and it's really not cool.
But you just threw an attack at Kia! How are you any better than he is then?

Last edited:
^ Well actually, the slowest hand put forward the debate on the picture thread (which may have been a bit insensitive) but kia said this

The post your picture thread is an accurate gauge of your physical attractiveness.

Based on the number of responses you get.... of course it aint entirely scientific, but sometimes natural observance is an accurate indicator of what is.

which was totally insensitive and a load of tosh (yes I said tosh, I'm trying to work new words into my vocab :)

KiaKaha

Banned
I can see where the comments are mostly being directed at.

I often get the feeling that people don't like admitting or thinking about things too much because the harsh truths about the world makes us come to some kind of realization about the way things really are. If you don't care about looks - then that's fine, but the rest of the world does. The point of all this is not to expose insecurity or to be cruel - or to force conformity... but I seriously think that sometimes people just want to live in a safe little bubble that coddles and protects at any expense - looks do matter - in more ways than people want to really admit - in the real world and on here. Personally, I think it is more damaging to not acknowledge and discuss heated topics like this - because if we did, then we would have to actually think about everyone instead.

WishingICould

TheSlowestHand started this thread because Kia started droning on, on the picture thread about things that weren't helpful and annoyed people. Hence the mod removing all the comments and this thread being made, if I'm not mistaken. :idontknow:

WishingICould

I can see where the comments are mostly being directed at.

I often get the feeling that people don't like admitting or thinking about things too much because the harsh truths about the world makes us come to some kind of realization about the way things really are. If you don't care about looks - then that's fine, but the rest of the world does. The point of all this is not to expose insecurity or to be cruel - or to force conformity... but I seriously think that sometimes people just want to live in a safe little bubble that coddles and protects at any expense - looks do matter - in more ways than people want to really admit - in the real world and on here. Personally, I think it is more damaging to not acknowledge and discuss heated topics like this - because if we did, then we would have to actually think about everyone instead.

Everyone cares about looks. Anyone with half a brain cell knows that. Your comments on that picture thread were not appropriate, that's what I'm saying. That thread wasn't for getting into a heavy debate about societies obsession with beauty it's for people to post their picture and see what other people look like. You turned it into something else.

KiaKaha

Banned

You dont think saying 'tut tut you are over thinking again' isn't a smug and childish thing to say?

If your position was different I am sure you would disagree.

I give what I get.

1BlackSheep

I don't think it was insensitive AT ALL! Not everyone feels the same way about the topic. Hence the reason maybe there should be no comments on the Post Your Pic thread. If someone wants to oogle (or not), PM the person! Simple solution and nobody has to feel badly.

Remus

Staff member

And I think you are mistaking over thinking for critical thinking.

Our opinions differ on this matter, it's neither smarmy and condescending, I just don't agree with you, that's all.

Your replies have been condescending though, as other members have noticed and pointed out. Why do you do that? Why do you deem a difference of opinion as a personal attack? I'm not attacking you here. I simply do not agree with your perception of the world or how to act in it.

I think within this thread we almost have the crux of peoples problems here. It's quite an important debate therapeutically.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.