Possessions, Possessions...

Kat

I am not overly OCD, but I do possess some attributes, so you might call me a pseud-OCDer.;) Anyway, I just wanted to mention a few of my more obsessive interests, particularly things which I own. Probably the most precious article of inanimacy I own is my engagement ring, given to me by my fiance.:) Second to that is my makeup, don't touch my makeup! And I have this overwhelming desire to cuddle with this little purple bear every night. It might even be some leftover childhood "woogie" complex! Who knows.

My fiance has his obsessive ideals about possessions too. Most are his comics his Ipod,and DVD collection, but he does have this one CRAZY obsession with the Transformer, Optimus Prime. The moment he saw that movie, he's been obsessed with everything Optimus. Troy even ordered this HUGE figure of OP from Japan last year that cost 1,000 dollars! Suffice to say he has a fuzzy feeling somewhere for that thing!:rolleyes: We have nephews who like to play with his old toys & stuff sometimes. But only he can play with the big Optimus. He's crazy.::p:

Anyway, I was just wondering if you guys had any obsessions like this?

davidburke

i'm pretty obsessive about all my stuff ipod, laptop, cds really i hate when my sister borrows my stuff especially my dvd collection which are mainly sci-fi, i know how many i have and i usually can spot when ones missing i even have them arranged in alphabetical order

Last edited:

Krista

It's quite a large possession but my bed. I do not like people on my bed, I don't like them sleeping in my bed or even sitting on it. It irks me when people lay on it lol. Plus I have this compulsive need to have it made all the time so when people mess it up that just means I have to remake it all over again. The only other thing would be my Yoshi tea pot, from Mario and my comics. No one touches them.

losttroy

Wow! I know what you mean about that bed thing! I can't sleep in a bed unless it's been made up first. Just doesn't feel fresh maybe.:confused: It's like ordering a hamburger, and they hand it to you already unwrapped! I know, dorky analogy. I'll think of a better one later!;) But I know what your saying.:D

Oh and aside from my ultra cool Optimus Prime--as Kitty so openly told you all about!!--I also adore my car, my computer, my carpet being clean, and most of all, I adore my beautiful lady.:)

Krista

Wow! I know what you mean about that bed thing! I can't sleep in a bed unless it's been made up first. Just doesn't feel fresh maybe.:confused: It's like ordering a hamburger, and they hand it to you already unwrapped! I know, dorky analogy. I'll think of a better one later!;) But I know what your saying.:D

Oh and aside from my ultra cool Optimus Prime--as Kitty so openly told you all about!!--I also adore my car, my computer, my carpet being clean, and most of all, I adore my beautiful lady.:)

Exactly, who wants to get into an already used bed. Plus I like even amounts of covers, it's just hard to explain but I think you get it. Lol, I think it's adorable that you two are on here together.

Kat

Exactly, who wants to get into an already used bed. Plus I like even amounts of covers, it's just hard to explain but I think you get it. Lol, I think it's adorable that you two are on here together.

Aw thank ya, I think there’s a certain someone that comes on here for you as well! :);)

When you hang around this place for too long, you become a little perceptive to that kind of thing::p:

206Raider

Lol @ everybodies observations!

Well I don't like people touching my iPod (if I lose it I may die, I got all my music on it, once it's gone it's gone for good), my laptop, I used to care a lot about my CD's and if people borrowed them I couldn't stand it but I had about 250 of them but sold about 200 becuase I figure in 5 years they won't be used. I keep my High School yearbook becuase it reminds me of all the memories. I also have a small box of autographed cards (I used to collect them when I was younger), that I hold onto but I never even look at them, they are stashed in my closet lol.

Don't you just love being nostalgic? I sometimes watch old movies I loved as a child to get my nostalgia freak on. There's nothing like balling over Titanic & cookie dough one more time.:)

I'm probably most obsessed with my Mac Pro. Don't touch my little friend! It cost more than my life, and it IS my life considering I hardly ever leave its presence. Oh God! Now it's got a presence?? I need to turn this thing off.::eek::

Eustacia

I understand about having things perfect. I am having a nightmare.
I bought a new sofa and it is gorgeous. Really quirky and cost me £700.
I ate 2 bags on crisps on it one 2 consecutive nights and now I have been putting my hand down the inside seam to make sure there are no crumbs or any stray crisps.
There aren't as I ate them really carefully. As I have to really push my hand inside to feel underneath no crips could have got down there anyway as they would just sit against the back unless forced down.

This has bothered me for days and I was so distraught that I may have contaminated my perfect sofa that it crossed my mind to damage it in some way so that I could send it back and get a brand new one. (Only had it 4 days).

Eventually I persuaded myself that I had not got any crumbs down the back but I keep checking this out to make sure.
Last night it was cold and I put my small electric fire on. It was quite a long way from the sofa and it stands upright.
Now I am convinced the fabric may have been singed. It hasnt and it is perfect. But this is bothering me so much I keep examining it to make sure.
But the fabric is pristeen. Not a mark on it. But I keep checking as I dont want people to visit and admire it and I am thinking yes but it is burnt even though it isnt so it is not perfect!
There is only one small bar working in the middle of the fire on the fire anyway and it doesnt throw out very much heat.
I can put my hand almost against it and it doesnt burn.

I have been thinking about it all day at work and now I want to send the sofa back again as i think it has been singed.
The singeing thought is worse then the crisps. And yet I only thought about the singeing a day after I had the fire on. It is as if I just have to have something wrong with the sofa.

I have been looking forward to having it for so very long and it is as if I am punishing myself by worrying about all these silly things.
Even if I damaged it they might offer to repair (And might suspect it was deliberate) and then I would be stuck with it not being perfect anyway!

I know this is not rational. My OCD has been geting worse lately as I have a few stresses in my life.
Alas my lovely new sofa which should have brought me joy has so far brought me nothing but misery!!

HELP!!! Has anyone else been through this?
I just want to cut a big hole in it and send it back but as I said I could end up with a damaged sofa whereas now there is nothing wrong with it.

Words of reassurance from any of my fellow OCD sufferers would be welcome!!!

Thank you!!!!

laure15

@Eustacia: as long as the sofa functions as intended, I don't see a need to return it. Just realize that the sofa will undergo normal wear and tear over time, which is nothing to be alarmed about. If it makes you feel any better, sofas have a very long shelf life. I have a couch which was bought over 20 years ago, and it's still functional! As for the OCD thoughts, I recommend distracting your mind with something else. Do something fun such as watch a movie or play some games.

Flanscho

"obession" is a quite strong word. An obsession is already a mental disorder or close to it. I don't think that I cling to any material objects that much, that I'd call it an obsession. Sure, there are things I value highly, but just that.