personality

simona

When I have to socialize with my coworkers I feel I dont have a clear type of personality. I mean I feel everybody else but me has found his/her group role/place in the social group at work. Can anyone here relate?

NamiraWilhelm

Of course! Most people are fine, they're the social type and can get on with anyone, even if they don't truly like them. But because of my anxiety and awkwardness there are plenty of people with misconceptions about me and don't know how to react around me, it's a viscous circle!

I'm definitely not myself with a lot of people. I'm a tamed down version of me, a reluctant me, or I'm so quiet and reserved and devoid of personality that I might aswell not be human. I suppose it depends on how 'threatening' I deem that person.

LazyHermitCrab

Haha yep. Last week I went to church and hid in the bathroom during half the chat time. The other half i was just like umm uhh and talked to a couple people that came to me and as they were talking to me they were trying to find a way to wrap up the conversation cuz they couldn't understand what i was saying sometimes. Also at work ppl were talking in a group and i just looked at them and smiled and left that was awkward as crap! You're not alone!!! :)

Metal_isthe_Answer

When I have to socialize with my coworkers I feel I dont have a clear type of personality. I mean I feel everybody else but me has found his/her group role/place in the social group at work. Can anyone here relate?

I know in college it seems like everybody has their friends and cliqs and stuff, I just go to class and go home, I can go most of the week without talking to someone

dannyboy65

I find it hard to socialize with people outside of the autism foundation. But I try to push myself out of my comfort zone. I'm not afraid to admit I have autism to people. I let most people know too, just in case I screw something up. At the foundation though I'm friends with everybody. Either way I still treat everyone with respect.

Huh. Devoid of personality. Perfectly put. I'm the same way.

I sometimes feel I have to try so hard to put in a friendly approachable face. my SA eats at me so bad when I'm in groups especially that my mind isn't able to contribute to conversations or put in my opinion. I know I get a nervous look when I do speak and then I question my reaction internally to the point of not being able to keep up sometimes.

I'm great at listening, when my add let's me anyway. And I always end up dissecting other personalities and admiring certain characteristics in other people and question why I can't have some of them myself?

gustavofring

I can relate to this.

You put up a front for so long, that you kind of forget who you are. Sometimes I feel like I subconsciously adapt to whatever person I am with. And thus I act differently with different people, because I have all these different masks that I have to keep up. Pretty frustrating.

AtTheGates

Banned
im starting to think its better to just fake it in order to be able to fit into some kind of niche....being a loner is seen as such a negative thing in our society.

simona

im starting to think its better to just fake it in order to be able to fit into some kind of niche....being a loner is seen as such a negative thing in our society.

but it would be exhausting to keep faking it ..for how long? a life time?

NamiraWilhelm

Not just exhausting, completely demoralizing. Maintaining a pretence rather than dealing with the issue at hand will only lead to your unhappiness.