Online 'trolling': one in three young people affected

Rawz

It can be hard to tell when people are being serious are not, etc, because there is so much trolling.

Trolling used to effect me in a negative way, but that was when I was younger and new to the internet. It doesn't anymore though, I got over it. It can be quite funny at times. Of course I have always been homeschooled, so I never had to deal with having rumors or harmful things started on the internet and spreading to real life.

I'm kind of unsure where I stand on this honestly.

Aletheia

^ Some?

But then I don't scroll down on articles in The Guardian either.

I wonder where all the hate comes from.

awkwardamanda

This isn't the definition of trolling I was familiar with. I thought trolling was more about making dumb comments in forums that you don't necessarily believe, just to annoy people and start a war. And yes, sometimes trolling includes insulting others, but I didn't think online bullying and trolling were really the same thing.

YouTube is infested with trolls, some videos are not worth scrolling down.

YouTube is infested with spammers trying to draw attention to their own channels so they can apparently get discovered and launch a music career.:kickingmyself:

Steppen-Wolf

internet-theory.jpg

Kiwong

It used to be called flaming, maybe it still is. This forum and another that I visit for master's runners are almost free of flaming and trolling.

I agree that You tube is shocking for flaming. Some of the comments really spoil some of my favourite songs.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
This isn't the definition of trolling I was familiar with. I thought trolling was more about making dumb comments in forums that you don't necessarily believe, just to annoy people and start a war. And yes, sometimes trolling includes insulting others, but I didn't think online bullying and trolling were really the same thing.

You're right. Trolling is just that. Making a comment to try to get a reaction out of people. You ignore the trolls in question and problem solved.

Bullying is a different story. It goes beyond just stupid comments.