Och aye the noo

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Heard you had a good day in regards to your progress. :applause:YAY!!!!!!!!!

yahoo.gif

Aye, but ah've got that wee back an forth with MollyBeGood to thank for that, partital.

If yer readin' post, darlin' - cheers for tha motivation. :thumbup: It wus tha kick up the arse ah seriously needed. :giggle:

Though, ah dinnae think ah keep hound tha physiotherapists tae help me. Ah might complaint to ma consultant surgeon that ah don't think they're daein their job an hold up their end o' deal as far as this rehab program goes. But ah just know she'll be ragin' aboot it like me. Cuz ma consultant surgeon pretty much fast tracked me in gettin' that surgery after ah committed to and she's not going be happy that her time gettin' everythin' in place for ma post-surgery recovery hasn't gone to plan.

Anyway, am just gonnae push on, exercising, walking and wearing ma leg braces. But there's nae way the physiotherapists are taking a single bit of credit for ma recovery. F*** 'em! All talk, nae action. If they can't be arsed seeing me on a weekly basis, as they should, then am no wastin' time hounding them for help... Naw, sorry. But ah've already hud yin setback in ma rehab progress, cannae afford another. So, they cun away an shite as far as am concerned. But then they couldnae be bothered comin' oot tae see me til nearly a month after ma surgery. Oh and they disnae return ma Mum's phone call this week, askin' if they were doing a home visit this past Thursday. Another reason to question how competent they are at their jobs.

Och, even the physiotherapists who saw me from when ah wus wee up until ma teens did a better job than these twat-monkeys who huv only seen me twice.

Why ma consultant didnae contact the physiotherapist ah'd been seeing frequently in Annan ever since ah moved from the children's hospital in Edinburgh to my local one in Dumfries is beyond me. Ah mean, at least, Lynette would've known about the surgery since it wus a topic of discussion every now and again between us. And she wus always for, wwhn ah wus'nae as keen. And, eh... She gave me an exercise plan each time ah'd huv an appointment with her.

Also, ah did ma ain rehab before, age 14 with only ma Mum an sister as my physiotherapists, and ah cun do it again now. Cuz that's how f***in' driven ah um when ah pit ma mind to accomplishin' summit.

Graeme1988

March 6th hus definitely been a helluva productive day... A breakthrough in ma recovery.
Because from 11 o'clock yesterday morning, ah did the following...

• Walked with aid of zimmer frame from the living room couch all the way to tha top of the bed am currently sleeping in downstair. Wus it 4 times back and forth? :question:
  • Stood against the bed, taking hands off my zimmer, and straighten my back. Repeating this same thing, standing at the couch but with my arms strightout in front of me to balance myself.
  • Done a few minutes on my wee, digital pedal exerciser
  • Done some exercises - leg lifts, knee bends, etc.
  • Walked, again using zimmer for support, the length of the house lobby from my bed to the doorway of the kitchen. Not getting breathless once
  • Wore my leg braces for half an hour while sitting on the couch.

And am actually taking proper footsteps, whereas just a week ago I wus waddling like a penguin. :bigsmile:

March 6th hus definitely been a helluva productive day... A breakthrough in ma recovery.
WELL DONE graeme!!! :bigsmile: :applause: :thumbup:

I find havin "productive" days tends to take the "sting" outta ma usual otherwise-crappy days. It makes me feel, i dunno, more hopeful & upbeat i guess.

So, u had a good, productive day then, which is VERY good - the energy from it can be used to "launch" yerself fowards successfully. But NOW you need to somehow make it a HABIT or DAILY ROUTINE. What has been working reliably for me in the last few months, is havin a DAILY CHECKLIST of things i should do every day, and i tick em off, 1-by-1 as i do them. And each day i can see how well i'm doin. It has in fact, for me, turned from paper, to a software program (which i'm writing meself) .. but for u a paper version will be fine. So if i were u, i'd right now this very minute grab a sheet of a4 paper, and list all the items u want done each day (but dont be too harsh with yer goals, else u may fail!), an split it up hozontally into 7 days. Also, since its not a time schedule, the tasks can be done at any time of day, an in any order, ie flexible but not TOO flexible, if ya get what im sayin. At end of week, turn it over an prepare list for NEXT week (& can alter it as an when see fit). This is whats called "taking control" of one's life!!! I hope u can do it. :thumbup:

Graeme1988

And you've got me intrigued aboot why yer intrigued :thinking::question:
It's just the normally abnormal life experiences i've had with them - nothing seedy i promise u! :giggle:

Naw, ah wus'nae implying anythin' like that. :giggle: Ah wus just wonderin' whit yer experience was like being seen by a doctor or medical professional who's not native to yer country? I'm guessin' it wus an Indian doctor, going by yer previous post.

Cuz ah've only hud a few experiences with foreign medical staff, mostly great but some were right arses, like. Though, it is awkward makin' small talk with them when yer baith speakin' in a different accent. Like ah wus with ma dad.

So, basically, yer sayin' they're no great at givin' advice, unless they've got it fae a book beforehand?

Graeme1988

WELL DONE graeme!!! :bigsmile: :applause: :thumbup:

I find havin "productive" days tends to take the "sting" outta ma usual otherwise-crappy days. It makes me feel, i dunno, more hopeful & upbeat i guess.

So, u had a good, productive day then, which is VERY good - the energy from it can be used to "launch" yerself fowards successfully. But NOW you need to somehow make it a HABIT or DAILY ROUTINE. What has been working reliably for me in the last few months, is havin a DAILY CHECKLIST of things i should do every day, and i tick em off, 1-by-1 as i do them. And each day i can see how well i'm doin. It has in fact, for me, turned from paper, to a software program (which i'm writing meself) .. but for u a paper version will be fine. So if i were u, i'd right now this very minute grab a sheet of a4 paper, and list all the items u want done each day (but dont be too harsh with yer goals, else u may fail!), an split it up hozontally into 7 days. Also, since its not a time schedule, the tasks can be done at any time of day, an in any order, ie flexible but not TOO flexible, if ya get what im sayin. At end of week, turn it over an prepare list for NEXT week (& can alter it as an when see fit). This is whats called "taking control" of one's life!!! I hope u can do it. :thumbup:

If ma printer wus workin', ah could print out a spreadsheet of ma daily rountine. Though, ah really should do exercises as soon as ah get up in tha morning cuz ma joints are really stiff in the morning, sleepin' in a bed that a smaller than am used to.

Ah don't think ma goals are too harsh. Just gettin' a proper shower and back upstairs to ma bedroom afore ma sister, brother-in-law an niece come to visit again. Since ah've got ma laptop and extenal hard drive down the stairs in the living the room at the moment. And there's cables everywhere, so it's no ideal.

Don't know aboot the "whole taking control" of ma life, ah still feel like ma family treat me like a child cuz o' ma disability. Ma Mum's still reluctant to help in any way with ma recovery, or respect any decisions ah make. Constantly contradicting me, which hus really knackered ma self-confidence. Then she plays dumb when ah ask her for advice, yet this wummin somehow managed to raise 3 mentally fuct-in-tha-heid kids by hersel'. Ah say 3, she didnae pay me much attention after adolescent hit, if anythin' ma Mum's been more overbearing and too protective than instilling values and confidence in me.

MollyBeGood

• Walked with aid of zimmer frame from the living room couch all the way to tha top of the bed am currently sleeping in downstair. Wus it 4 times back and forth? :question:
  • Stood against the bed, taking hands off my zimmer, and straighten my back. Repeating this same thing, standing at the couch but with my arms strightout in front of me to balance myself.
  • Done a few minutes on my wee, digital pedal exerciser
  • Done some exercises - leg lifts, knee bends, etc.
  • Walked, again using zimmer for support, the length of the house lobby from my bed to the doorway of the kitchen. Not getting breathless once
  • Wore my leg braces for half an hour while sitting on the couch.

And am actually taking proper footsteps, whereas just a week ago I wus waddling like a penguin. :bigsmile:

This is so great to hear!!!! :applause::thumbup:

Keep going. We are all rooting for you!

Graeme1988

This is so great to hear!!!! :applause::thumbup:

Keep going. We are all rooting for you!

:brindis: Cheers for that, much appreciated support. Oh jings, crivens, help ma boab, this is gonnae be a difficult few weeks. Ah say weeks cuz ah want to back upstairs afore the tense family visit, which ah always, rightly, predict will with a dumb argument over semantics. That's no me being a prophetically arrogant cunt, like Nostradamus, either. Every visit there's an argument... Which is why keep ma gob shut and repeat the phrase "Anything you say can and will be used against you"

Ah don't know if that goal is really infeasible? What with the amount of surgery ah got done 2 months ago, and ma balance and leg strength being knocked to pot as a result. Ma gate being slightly different, compared with how ah walked before surgery, also being a factor.

Graeme1988

I feel awful the day. Fatigued, nae energy ataw. Which has kinda made ma desire to exercise very low. :sad: Despite really wantin' to get up them stair to ma bed, for a goodnight's sleep if nowt else.

MollyBeGood

:brindis: Cheers for that, much appreciated support. Oh jings, crivens, help ma boab, this is gonnae be a difficult few weeks. Ah say weeks cuz ah want to back upstairs afore the tense family visit, which ah always, rightly, predict will with a dumb argument over semantics. That's no me being a prophetically arrogant cunt, like Nostradamus, either. Every visit there's an argument... Which is why keep ma gob shut and repeat the phrase "Anything you say can and will be used against you"

Ah don't know if that goal is really infeasible? What with the amount of surgery ah got done 2 months ago, and ma balance and leg strength being knocked to pot as a result. Ma gate being slightly different, compared with how ah walked before surgery, also being a factor.

ugh man! life is really not being a pal to you! I would say it is being a massive cunt! (i cannot believe we can write that here but not c-o-c-k?! sexist word editor program)

how long will these family members be visiting?

I am sorry you are not feeling good today. It's always like that for me too if i have a great day physically and mentally the next is always the pits.

Baby steps and don't push yourself too hard. Always try to keep your eye on the prize.

Graeme1988

ugh man! life is really not being a pal to you! I would say it is being a massive cunt! (i cannot believe we can write that here but not c-o-c-k?! sexist word editor program)

Aye, that weird, innit? Though, being Scottish an hearin' that word used with little regard for gender specifics. Ah mean, it can even be a term of endearment where am from.

how long will these family members be visiting?

Could be just a few days, could a week. Still, ah'd rather oot the way, since ma older sister doesnae exactly treat me much respect. Much like tha rest o' ma family.

Plus, she's more inclined tae give me grief for being sensitive and quiet. As well the smug tone she takes when ah actually answer any of her inqustive questions. So, eh... Am kinda guarded with ma beliefs, opinions, interests and personal tastes as a result. And, as previously mentioned, her fleein' off tha handle if ye say summit she too umbrage with... So ye cannae blame for wantin' back upstair as soon as.

I am sorry you are not feeling good today. It's always like that for me too if i have a great day physically and mentally the next is always the pits.

Aye, ah know... Ah guess, with me, it's many factors. No sleepin' in a comfy bed since January 5th, forcin' masel' to get up, walk and exercise. Since it'll be aw fur nuthin' if ah just sit on ma arse til ma next hospital appointment.

Baby steps and don't push yourself too hard. Always try to keep your eye on the prize.

Oh aye, that's very much been ma focus before, and since, gettin' tha surgery. And ah know it'll take a year afore am back to full health. Ah just dinnae want to spend much longer stayin' in the living room, tae be honest.

Last edited:

Graeme1988

Just found oot tha ward ah wus on during ma hospital stay has been affected by the norovirus and shut... again! Good thing everythin' went well when ah wus in.

Graeme1988

Ah really need tae get roon tae writin' aboot ma hospital stay at some point. :thinking: No that ah've deliberately held off on it, just that things seem tae huv went that quickly these past couple o' months. Ah huv'nae really hud much time tae sit an process it aw.

Though, ma hospital appointment this past Monday (March 7th) went well. It wus just to get measure for a pair o' trainers that would fit ma leg braces and get ma braces widened a wee bit. Since they were a wee bit snug around ma ankle joints and where they curved roon ma calf muscles. Hud big red marks on ma leg efter just wearin' them fur a few minutes while sittin'. No that painful, mair like indentation fae a watch strap, really.

The only doonside being that it wus another early morning trek to Dumfries for me an ma sister, - the oldest yin - who wus chaufeurring me to the hospital as always and sitting in on appointments with me. As she has done, lately.

Sorry if this story get borin' at some point, ah dinnae ken why ah tend to prolong and drag these posts oot so much? As if every detail matters...

Anyway, ah get up afore 8 o'clock that morning, huv breakfast, clean ma teeth n' get ready to leave, opting to wear this t-shirt for the 2nd time ever...
$_3.JPG

^ :bigsmile:

So, we set off for the hospital, topics of conversation were odd, tae say the least. Ah didnae intiate any o' them, thankfully. Cuz ah just tend to stare oot the windae, daydreaming an thinkin' aboot f**k all.

Now, we start oot yappin' aboot how we didnae think oor local leisure centre will ever re-open again, in a few years time. Given how the local council are arguin' over the cost tae repair the place. This then led to the usual small talk aboot the previous night's telly listings, or if ah watch anythin' online, which ah huv'nae really hud time to do, lately.

Here's where things started tae go a bit daft. After a few moments of silence, the chat picks up again as we're just few miles fae the hospital. And it goes as follows... Ma sister asks me if ah've watched Eastenders since the proper East-end Cockney actor Danny Dyer joined the long-running soap opera - which ah hud. But only the odd episode here and there, not enough to make the show regular viewing for me. This offer the perfect segue into an amusing wee bit on Cockney rhyming slang and our knowledge on it, or lack there of...

And to cap that off, as we're just turn on to the road that takes us to the hospital, we end up chattin' about, of all things... The gang culture in Glasgow and infamous "Ice Cream Wars" of the mid-1980s. Remarking how we live just an hours drive from Glasgow, which isn't that far away. But seem so, especially when ye read or hear about the city's violent past and the reputation the city has.

And that kinda criminal gang culture is still very there. It just not so much a turf wars nowadays, where ye could get battered tae f*** just for living on a different street or support the "wrong" football team. Now yer talkin' drug dealers an loan sharks who would quite happily knife ye or shoot yer knees oot if ye owed them money you didnae huv. But then it's no just an issue in Glasgow, as ma sister noted, recallin' a story she read of a young lad from southern Scotland who hung himself after being threated by Glaswegian drug dealer, to whom this young fella owed a few hunner (hundred) pounds. But the lad hud actually spent the money that he owed.

F**k knows how we blethered aboot aw that within the space of 45 minutes? :eek:

Graeme1988

Anyway, we arrive at the hospital a few minutes early, entering via the door to the orthopedic care department. Since we had an appointment with the orthotics depaarmrnt, which is aw on the same floor.

We go to hand the letter to reception, just say we're here for our appointment, and there's naebuddy. So, just as we turn to make our way into the waiting room, who's very surprised to see me so soon...? None other than the consultant surgeon who headed up the team that did ma operation back in January.

And she wus, to quote the women herself: "Glad to see I still had my legs" :giggle: Apparently, I'm turning out to be quite an expensive patient, too. With the plate in my knee and trainers custom made for my leg braces. Though, arguably the best laugh came when my sister informed my consultant surgeon that "Graeme's desperate to get back upstairs and away from us" Amanda - my consultant surgeon - just looks at me, smiles and says: "I don't blame you..." And she was happy to hear about the progress ah've made since the plaster came off. Also, telling me if I'm determined enough to do it, I'll back upstairs, eventually. And that she's hoping so, since the plate in my right knee wus'nae cheap...

So after this short chat, we just head for the orthotics department rather than wait around to be called. I knock on the door, and am greet by this big wummin with black eyeliner an tattoo on her left arm. Who says the following: "Hullo there! Ah remember you. You gotten bigger since ah last saw ya." And ah couldnae for the life me remember her name, as it would've been almost 10 years since ah hud been cast leg braces. And it's only after seeing this big wummin again that ah notice her uncanny resemblance to Scottish comedienne and actress Elaine C. Smith.
Elaine_C_SmithWeb.jpg

Anyway she take the letter, and asks me and my sister just to wait in the corridor a sec. Then, Rachel - the young lassie ah was just introduced to a few weeks ago at a previous appointment ** - greets us at the door, saying hi and gesturing for us to come into the room. And she and the other wummin really like ma t-shirt, intriqued as to where ah bought it. Slightly surprised when ah said ah got it on eBay, and my sister made reference to my more politically incorrect but ironic t-shirts. Though, not mentioning any of the t-shirt slogans word for word. :giggle:

And, while we didnae make mention of the frustrating lack of physiotherapy visits ah've received since getting my plasters off to my consultant surgeon, we did say to Rachel, and she said, while adults don't get as many visit from physiotherapists compared to kids, they should've provided me with an exercise chart. That said, she did huv sympathy for how letdown we both feel. Ah mean, really, a physiotherapy team with experience in rehab and recovery should be more competent.

Oh, the good news from this recent hospital appointment is, ah got ma right leg brace home that same day. The bad news, the left yin needs sent back to Glasgow, as Rachel couldnae heat the plastic enough to stretch it out, fully. And ma custom made trainers for ma leg braces are gonnae take 4 weeks til they're ready. But ah get another appointment sent out before that letting me know when to collect 'em.

Aye, couple more setbacks. But, at least, they're gettin' resolved.

** I'll tell ye whit ah thought o' Rachel when ah start tell yous aboot ma hospital stay and the significant event that happened post-surgery.

Last edited:
Naw, ah wus'nae implying anythin' like that. :giggle: Ah wus just wonderin' whit yer experience was like being seen by a doctor or medical professional who's not native to yer country? I'm guessin' it wus an Indian doctor, going by yer previous post.

Cuz ah've only hud a few experiences with foreign medical staff, mostly great but some were right arses, like. Though, it is awkward makin' small talk with them when yer baith speakin' in a different accent. Like ah wus with ma dad.

So, basically, yer sayin' they're no great at givin' advice, unless they've got it fae a book beforehand?
Funny u say that, as i've never trusted learnings from my teachers at school, or technical college. I always had to "double-check" frm books to ensure they were "right-on", an seldom were good enough for my wishes nonetheless!.

Ok, doctors are one thing, an i sort of trust them, but never totally. Indian men are another. Basically if they aint wearin a turbin (ie religious) then i dont trust em as far as i can throw em - anotehr words, theyre typically as "rough-as-guts", more so than any other race i've come accross (& there's a fair few races that i have a bit of a dislike fro!)

And yes, i've had an indian man not as a doctor, but as a psychiatrist (he only lasted two sessions, th stubborn pr*ck! :eek:mg:), and another who was a "carer" at a respite place (ordering me abut like i was a slave, what a two-faced tight-fisted w*nker he was, as he was 100% "genial" to the other patients (who were mainly a-holes), but just rough'n'brutal with me, as if he was rapin me with his harsh words & attitude, the sadistic cunt!!! :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry

Last edited:
Aye, that weird, innit? Though, being Scottish an hearin' that word used with little regard for gender specifics. Ah mean, it can even be a term of endearment where am from.
Also weird is that the site is anti-so******m :question: :giggle:
I'm anti-social meself too! :bigsmile:

Graeme1988

Funny u say that, as i've never trusted learnings from my teachers at school, or technical college. I always had to "double-check" frm books to ensure they were "right-on", an seldom were good enough for my wishes nonetheless!.

Aye, ah wus the same. Though, ah think ma double check wus due to ma inability to remember stuff.

Ok, doctors are one thing, an i sort of trust them, but never totally. Indian men are another. Basically if they aint wearin a turbin (ie religious) then i dont trust em as far as i can throw em

Oh aye, am the very same with doctors. Though, trainee podiatrists are far worse, speakin' fae experience.

- anotehr words, theyre typically as "rough-as-guts", more so than any other race i've come accross (& there's a fair few races that i have a bit of a dislike fro!)

And yes, i've had an indian man not as a doctor, but as a psychiatrist (he only lasted two sessions, th stubborn pr*ck! :eek:mg:), and another who was a "carer" at a respite place (ordering me abut like i was a slave, what a two-faced tight-fisted w*nker he was, as he was 100% "genial" to the other patients (who were mainly a-holes), but just rough'n'brutal with me, as if he was rapin me with his harsh words & attitude, the sadistic cunt!!! :veryangry:

Jings! :eek: That sounds hellish, but then, ah went to a wummin therapist who wus dismissive of me when ah attempted to open up about how ah felt ma mum neglect me fae a young age. Ah think she might huv been a feminist (the man-hating type. No yer geniune feminist themselves as equal but different). So, ah cun sympathise with yer experience as it reminds me a lotta of how ah get treat by ma family, in many ways.

Graeme1988

Yesterday wus ma 2nd day takin' anti-inflammatory tablets, they also act as a painkiller. Startin' to notice an improved difference in the flexion of ma right knee, within the last 48 hours. It's also becomin' less painful when ah stand up or walk. Still wee bit o' pain in ma right knee. Which is understandable, considerin' whit wus done to it during surgery. But it's dramatically reduced since last week in terms of how severe the pain is.

Here's hopin' for a better night's sleep anaw. Past few weeks huv'nae been great in that regard.

Also, my Mum's been helping with the physical therapy by lifting my right and left legs, individually, extending them out straight and holding while ah just relax ma muscles. This has helped in alleviating ma groin strain on ma right side. Ah also purchased one of leg rest cushions for keepin' ma legs elevated a few weeks ago when ma feet an legs were really swollen. Huv'nae really pit tae much use since, don't if it' be handy for doin' sit-ups with? :question: Since ah really need to get in decent shape if ah want to feel the full affects of this surgery. And I already exercising ma legs everyday.

Though, ah don't know if that's just me being naive, in that, ah wus thinkin' losin' a wee bit weight might give a bit mair energy when am up walkin', y'know? Ah will'nae be as oot o' breath.

Anyway, things are fairly comin' along. Slowly but surely, though ah get there in the end if ah keep gan the way ah um. And that's just doon tae me huvin the determination tae get up an walk regardless o' the pain. And ma mum an sister takin' the initiative with the physiotherapy.

Though, on that note, it'll 3 week this Thursday since ah last hud a home visit fae the folk who huv been pit charge o' ma physical therapy. And they're literally only a town away, tae. Also, they didnae bother their arses to return ma Mum's phone-call, when she left an answering machine message. In which, she merely asked if they still comin' last week. Ma sister might try an phone them again, if they dinnae come roon tomorrow, but ah telt her not be surprised if she doesnae hear back fae them.mMibbe if she phones up soundin' really panicked an worried, then they get off their lazy arses an gie me some advice and/or exercise sheets. :giggle:

Cuz, for a pair of physiotherapists who specifically work in the field of rehab an recovery, they're done f**k all for me. :veryangry: Aye, the ankle rotions were fine when ma feet were swollen, which has, pretty much, gone away noo. Nowt beyond that ataw, though. So, in ma opinion, they're both as useless as a marzipan dildo.

That's the only really shite, actual frustratin' setback of tha whole lot. Not that am lettin' it hawd me back any - quite the opposite. I'm just gonnae keep pushin' masel' to move, get back to full health on ma own. Why let the physio take credit for it, eh?

Anyway, ah just need tae work on strengthening ma legs, particularly the right. Since that has always been ma weaker side. As well as get ma balance again, now that I'm walkin' as up on ma tip-toes as before. But it'll aw comeback, eventually. Just needs time. Still hope tae be upstairs an oot everybuddy else's way afore this loomin' family visit. Which, as ye cun probably tell, am fair excited aboot... Not!