Not talking loud enough?

Ren Koutaisou

About 90% of things I say, I have to repeat. This has gotten so annoying, I made a habit of not saying anything most of the time.
Now I have nobody to talk to and I want to change that. What can I do to speak more loudly and clearly? I'm trying to use visualization to imagine people shattering as I talk to them (hahaha) and that's all I can think of for now.

Ravens

I tend to jumble my words when I'm nervous, which only serves to make me more nervous. I'll think of one thing to say, and change my mind mid-sentence.:rolleyes:

Emily_G

Speaking louder and slower is something that helps me be more fluent....it's just something you have to constanly think to do.

Pookah

This is true but I think it comes with me being a passive individual. I don't like it when people speak too loud either. I also stutter a bit when talking if I am not comfortable.

Aiyieeeee

This happens to me as well. It's rather humiliating. Even when I try to project my voice and think I'm successfully doing it, I hardly ever pull it off.

Class presentations are horrendous. No idea who is hearing me and who is not. This on top of the fact that I'm in front of a group of people talking period. Yeah......murder.

danstelter

If you work on your confidence and developing relaxation, then your voice will eventually come out at a reasonable level, assuming this problem is because of your anxiety and not because of some sort of medical condition that makes you nearly inaudible.

In two words, "Let go." Who cares what other people think of what you say, and who cares if you "mess up" and don't say what it is that you intended? There will be hundreds and thousands of opportunities in the future to say and do what it is that you want and if a few people think you're a loser, that's hardly the end of the world!

Visualize people responding to you positively when you are speaking to them. Exercise, eat right, and get enough sleep; seek counseling (really helped me) and do any and everything you need to do to reduce your anxiety and you will find that your voice will naturally become louder and more assertive as a by-product.

Good luck, and let me know if you need any help!

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I have that problem as well, and it makes me want to sew my mouth shut so I won't embarrass myself anymore.

Lorraine Manca

oh yes, its annoying and embarrassing when you can't speak loud enough. i nearly lose my voice completely if im nervous enough. i had a professor who also had this problem. he overcame it by pronouncing each syllable clearly, and breaking up sentence's into short fragments with clear pauses inbetween. that way it didnt matter how loud it was, it was very clear. it may be a peculiar way of speaking, but its better to be peculiar than have to repeat everything.

so if you were saying one of the sentences above, you'd say it:
i had a professor.....who had this same problem.....he overcame it

slicknsly

I sometimes have the same problem too, and if I try to reverse it and speak clearly all the time people ask me why I am yelling, which is embarassing because I was just trying make sure they hear me. But hey, I feel better when they say speak softer instead of speak louder I can't understand you.

this_portrait

I hate having to speak louder. It's the reason why I avoid drive-thru windows at fast-food restaurants. I get so annoyed with people saying, "Can you speak up? I can't hear you", that I just want to shout at them, "If you can't hear me, then have your f*cking hearing checked, Goddamnit!"

Ravens

I hate having to speak louder. It's the reason why I avoid drive-thru windows at fast-food restaurants. I get so annoyed with people saying, "Can you speak up? I can't hear you", that I just want to shout at them, "If you can't hear me, then have your f*cking hearing checked, Goddamnit!"

I would love to be an audience to that::p:

I have a suggestion. Up to you what you want to do with it... A bit unusual though... I suggest that if you don't already have an LP (Let's Play) on youtube, you can try making one. As you game, you record your thoughts and guide the viewers as to what is happening. This will enhance your ability to talk on the spot. Since it's a game you're familiar with, you should be more at ease. Also, you won't have to face your viewers/audience directly.

After a while, you should get much more fluent. If nothing else, you'd learn how to use FRaps and such things better.

Shut up

I used to have this problem, talking so quietly that hardly anyone could hear me at all. As well as having to repeat almost everything I said at the rare times I did say something. It was really annoying, and I guess somewhere along the lines I just got tired of it. I don't know if everyone can do this, but I can actually talk really loud. Is your actually voice like really quiet, because sometimes that's just how people talk? Or sometimes it just goes quiet because your nervous. If you can actually talk loud you just need to keep doing and trying that more, in order to not be asked to repeat things over and over again. It's really annoying, but it's the only way I did it too.

Last edited:

SilentType

Banned
I think this comes from not speaking enough. We don't speak a lot, so are vocal chords aren't as relaxed as everyone else's. I have this problem a lot too, having to repeat myself all the time because people don't hear me.

This is just my opinion on why we all are having this problem...

Peace

Ren Koutaisou

I actually did try to record my evaluation on a video game before, but it blew over horribly. My voice sounded awful to me, and it wasn't loud enough. I didn't want to speak loudly because my brother and sister were in the house.

I am going to try to read something out loud one day, when I find a place where noone else is around. Maybe I'll go to the park.

I guess my voice really is quiet because I'm not nervous all the time. Absent-minded, yes, but not nervous.

One day, I'll try to do a "Let's Play" .

Ebbe

I have that too. The volume of my voice is heavily influenced by how many people are listening and by how certain I am of what I am saying.

I hate it when I have to do a talk (luckily not that often) and the only feedback I get is that I have to talk louder. The last time I did a talk, I started by saying that my voice is naturally soft and that if people cannot hear me that they should say so immediately so that I can try to increase the volume. That really helped. No one said anything about my voice since it was obvious I already knew about it.

When I have to bring my voice to a 'normal' volume, I feel like I am shouting at people.

lunarla

I've always been quiet and have a really small voice for the most part. All throughout elementary school and even sometimes now I have to repeat myself. But to an extent I've definitely grown out of it. Presentations used to be torture, but somehow I just got the attitude of not really caring what other people thought of what I was saying and it helps a lot to know what I'm talking about and to knowwww that I know and just be confident about that and just talk. Some of my teachers even comment on how good of a speaker I am now which is weird compared to how I used to be.

I also have this class where I have to record myself and etc. and my voice doesn't even make a wavelength, really. Barelyyyyy. But then you can just manually up the volume so it's no problem.

I think the thing is just slowing down in order to project a bit more. I don't just say everything out of me in one breath.

Besides that I'm still a fairly reserved and quiet person. And then it sort of catches people off guard when I present something and talk a lot, ha.