no smiles?

shygirly

When I smile at people most of them get this weird look on their faces like "why the heck are you smiling at me?" What's up with that? Anyone else notice this?

madmike

I have no idea! I was at the petrol station today and watched the guy at the till serving the person in front of me. The guy at the till was smiling, the person in front of me wasn't!! Then i went up, smiled at the attendant... and he stopped smiling and got this almost mardy look on his face!! I really don't get it... maybe i reveal that i'm nervous or something when i smile, which makes people label me as weak... maybe i try too hard...

recluse

On the whole people i smile at respond the same way but you do get some people who are not very nice and that's their problem.

When i was in college i came in one day and i was smiling and i do get times when i have a nervous smile, anyway this asshole who was in my class started acting all hostile saying ''Why do you always come in here smiling?!!''...I felt dumfounded and a bit upset that someone responded that way to me who was only being friendly. After that i became paranoid and i tried not to smile much.

Last edited:

satstrn

yeah, it happens to me alot and i do think its because we do something to reveal nervousness....especially when i see a woman im attracted to i get nervous and any facial expression i try to communicate to her has nervousness in it as well...i feel like theres all these unwritten rules about when and where you can smile, when to make eye contact, when to make eye contact but not smile, etc etc...i probably think a bit too much about it, but it frustrates the hell outta me and i know i miss out on crazy opportunties by avoiding it...i guess the only advice out there is keep trying, because personally if i get 5 weird looks and 1 smile, its a good day for me. :) Another thing is to maybe see any kind of reaction as a success, because good or bad some reaction is better than no reaction in my book

dooby-duck

I think I over compensate when smiling, laughing and making eye contact with people. Maybe holding it too long and freaking people out. Just being too aware and forcing it probably makes it look unnatural and fake. Maybe it's just over analysing situations.

LLLady

People usually look at me strange because I have a lot of tattoo's but I just smile and I have noticed that they don't know what to do next.
but i hear what your saying. it's really odd most people don't know how to respond to people being nice. I think they feel like your up to something.....
People know how to react to someone being mean to them, But someone being Nice
Sh*t that's just down right weird...... LOL

AlleyCat

People know how to react to someone being mean to them, But someone being Nice
Sh*t that's just down right weird...... LOL

LOL! That does seem to be true!

I always try to smile and be friendly whenever I'm out. Some people here seem to appreciate it, others not so much. There have been a few times I've passed someone on the street and smiled or nodded and said hello to them, and they don't even respond. Maybe they were having a really bad day or maybe they are shyer than me, which is hard to believe, but I always feel like a fool afterwards. =/

iamthenra

OMG!!! This just reminded me of my first date three years ago... This girl that I met, she would smile at me at random times during the date... We would sit down for dinner, and she would just smile like a chessy cat... Right out the blue, a big grin from ear to ear and for no apparent reason... So instinctively I thought I had some food on my nose or worse yet in my nose or something odd... Just turns out she just liked to smile at random times during the day, which kind of made me feel a bit weird around her... I don't smile too much when I am out and about, because my subconscious mind makes me look angry so nobody will want to talk to me... I guess that is too effective, pushing 40 and still no g/f... My bad?
3760733474_a404fca7a4_o.gif

JCS008

I normally try to smile in situations that call for it. Like when I'm buying something at a cash register or if I make casual eye contact with someone. But beyond that, I don't walk around all day with a smile, but definitely I don't want to walk around as if I'm mad at the world. I just try to use my best judgment on the situation.

Flowers-Of-Bloom

Hmm... Well, to leave a good impression on strangers I might appear cheerful or friendly, which in turn can be met by cold eyes, depending on the person and their mood/how busy they are. Some people might not be used to smiling strangers, or smiling in general, so I take it as their problem and not mine.
There's also a possiblity they are threatened or in distaste of my fashion sense (women, anyway). Which is also their problem. :D