Narcosis Fear

breakthespell

I'm going to the hospital next week to do some dental work, due to extreme dental phobia (couldn't get through it because I couldn't stop panicking in that f.... chair)

They'll have me in narcosis, something I've never experienced before.
I am extremely prone to panic attacks from anxiety buildups and I'm afraid something's gonna happen, I also hate hospitals and get nauseous just being there. I'll probably have to lie down the whole time when I get there to avoid throwing up.

Anyone else done surgery or anything in narcosis? I'm so worked up I can't do anything :(

Remus

Staff member
Had some teeth out, boy I was spaced afterwards. Grinning and drooling in the recovery room. I kept banging the back of my head against the wall laughing.

breakthespell

Had some teeth out, boy I was spaced afterwards. Grinning and drooling in the recovery room. I kept banging the back of my head against the wall laughing.

I have to say, I really look forward to (hopefully) waking up. I'm living in my own little anxiety bubble these days.

Flanscho

Got a phobia of dentists too. December last year though I thought that it's time to get over that, and went to the dentist. On five appointments they did an x-ray, some rough cleanings, some detailed cleanings, some parodontis-prevention stuff and so on.

The only thing left is now that I get two wisdom teeth pulled out and one cavity filled, later this month.

I thought at first as well about getting under narcosis, but I like the thought of being able to walk away after that immediately, return home and turn my thoughts to other stuff.

Anyway, I'm sure your stuff works out fine. I was never under narcosis myself, so I sadly can't give you any advice.

Rawz

When I had my wisdom teeth pulled, I opted to not be put out for fear of how it would feel, etc. The stuff they used to numb the nerves did plenty anyway, and the guy who pulled them out was good at it so it went fast.

EvilFlyingCow

You have nothing to fear about the narcosis. From personal experience, it is actually kind of fun. And I also have a phobia of going to the dentist.

When I had my wisdom teeth pulled, I was afraid of being drugged also, but as soon as it was done I was laughing and wishing I could do it again... Lol.

I'm not sure what narcosis is... Is it just general anesthesia? I had my wisdom teeth pulled and they knocked me out for it. I was lying there talking to the anesthetist and I felt this really heavy sensation in my legs (but it felt good) and it crept up my body and then I was out. Woke up with cotton stuffed in the sides of my mouth and I was just tired and ready to go back to my bed. Then the pain set in, but that's another story :)

Nothing to be afraid of. It's true there's a chance you might not wake up, but it's rare. And if you didn't, well... at least you wouldn't be aware of it? Not sure if that helps at all, haha. But it's really fine, it's like sleeping without dreams.

EvilFlyingCow

I'm not sure what narcosis is... Is it just general anesthesia?.

When I had my wisdom teeth pulled, it was not general anesthesia. I'm not sure the name of the drug they used. It was not total unconsciousness, I was still awake. It was more like a mixture of being really drunk and on ecstasy. A feeling of not caring, no anxiety, and a general sense of well-being/euphoria.

When I had my wisdom teeth pulled, it was not general anesthesia. I'm not sure the name of the drug they used. It was not total unconsciousness, I was still awake. It was more like a mixture of being really drunk and on ecstasy. A feeling of not caring, no anxiety, and a general sense of well-being/euphoria.

Can you pick that up at your local drug store? That would help immensely in everyday life.

If only :sad:

Edit: Ohhh, you're talking about nitrous oxide - laughing gas.

Last edited:

EvilFlyingCow

Can you pick that up at your local drug store? That would help immensely in everyday life.

If only :sad:

Lol, I wish. However, after the procedure you have to lean on the nurse to even be able to walk (I couldn't stop laughing the whole way to the couch). If it were legal you would be laying on your couch all day unable to walk and just laughing uncontrollably at everything. You wouldn't be able to work or go anywhere.