My unusual hobby helps me cope with my social anxiety disorder

Hornetboy

I am an avid collector of abandoned wasp nests. I specialize in GIANT nests (The bigger the better!). My fattest addition is an overwintered southern yellowjacket (Vespula squamosa) nest. My tallest addition is a huge bald-faced hornet (Dolichovespula maculata) nest which measures a whopping 40 inches/102 centimeters tall! This is nearly 3 1/2 feet tall!!! I also have an enormous red wasp (Polistes annularis) nest which is literally the size of a dinner plate! Of course, I have many other awe-inspiring nests in my extensive collection. Just like other people who spend hours golfing or collecting baseball cards or whatever else, my passion is no different. The reason why I am so passionate about wasps is because the nests that they build are very beautiful and intricate. Their awesome nests are "masterpieces of nature" in my humble opinion!

In addition to building gorgeous nests, wasps are very beneficial to have around. Although most people think of wasps as pests, they benefit mankind and the environment in many ways. They help control pests (flies, caterpillars, bugs, spiders, etc.) by preying on huge numbers of them. Think of wasps as natural pest controllers! This really does help to cut down on the use of harmful pesticides. This is healthier for our environment in the long run. It is much better for a gardener to allow a wasp nest to grow on his/her property and have the wasps prey on the garden pests rather than spraying poison on the vegetables! Wasps are also used in research and experiments. In some places in the world, people use the immature stages (larvae and pupae) of wasps as food for a good source of protein. Therefore, the benefits to humans far outweigh the harm which they do. Unfortunately, wasps have a bad reputation because they are misunderstood. Education is the key to a better understanding. It is my mission in life to educate people on the beneficial aspects of these fascinating creatures so they can be seen in a more positive light. Wasps desperately need a better public relations image and my collection is a tool which allows me to educate people. I am the wasp's best friend so to speak. Wasps need someone to speak for them since they have no voice. This thread will give me the perfect platform to do just that!

My advice to people would be this:

*** Hornets, yellowjackets and paper wasps should NOT be needlessly killed unless their nests are located in high-risk areas!***

I've been collecting nests since I was a young teenager growing up in Louisiana back in the 1980's after seeing a collection of empty bald-faced hornet nests at a neighbor's home. That did it for me! So for the past 25 years or so, I have joined in the little-known hobby of wasp nest collecting. I've had numerous wasp nest collections over the years. Though I started my current collection back in the year 2000. I have approximately one hundred nests at this time. Nearly all of my nests have come from the Internet. I buy most of them on Ebay. People from around the country ship them to me. Heck, I even get them from other countries too such as Canada, China, Brazil and Uruguay! My most recent addition is a MASSIVE tropical wasp nest from South America. I love this species because it is one of the few types of wasps which actually make & store edible honey inside their nests like honeybees do. Plus, these nests are bizarre looking because they are covered in spikes (like a porcupine puffer fish!).

Here is a video (with commentary) which shows my collection back in January of 2009:
WASP NEST MUSEUM - YouTube

Here are some old photos of my collection (Eight pages worth!):
Flickr: hornetboy1970's Photostream

I am always looking for more impressive nests to add to my collection. Please let me know if you have access to any. If you don't currently know where any nests are, then please keep me in mind for the future from now on. Thanks! Also, please feel free to ask any questions if you want to learn more about social wasps (aka: hornets, yellowjackets & paper wasps).

Here is a link which will take you to an active forum where wasp enthusiasts (nest collectors & wasp keepers) hang out. This is a wonderful community! This is THE place on the internet for bee & wasp enthusiasts! This is my regular hangout spot on the web. My screen name there is "Hornetboy". I hope to see you there! Here ya go:

Bees and Wasps - The Venom List - For All Things Venomous!

One more thing...

I use my wasp hobby as a way to help me cope with my SAD. My hobby is one of the few things which actually bring joy in my life and it makes my SAD more bearable for me. My life doesn't seem as difficult for me when I am doing something that I really love and it makes me happy. If I didn't have this passion, then I would truly be miserable. At least my passion gives me a purpose in life and prevents me from going completely insane.

Here is my wasp nest collection:
IMG_2338.jpg

Here I am standing with part of my collection:
IMG_2227a.jpg

Here I am holding the tallest nest in my collection (This MONSTER measures a whopping 40in/102cm tall!!!):
IMG_2085a.jpg

Enjoy! :)

Remus

Staff member
God I hate wasps! total phobic, get creeped out even looking at these pics :/

Holy cow man. I'm IMPRESSED. Sure it's a unique hobby and collection, but the fascination with the nests and ability to even collect them is impressive.

I myself am extremely scared of wasps/hornets/bees whatever, so the pictures are cool yet give me the chills. I just picture a crap load of wasps flying out as I tried to get near one of the nests lol.

Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Ms Cloud

Hornetboy is my new hero! I love to see people doing what inspires them most, whatever it may be. It's individuality at its finest.

Mr Boy, I have a question about wasps, or hornets. There's a colony of them that live somewhere in my house, inside a wall maybe, or maybe somewhere in the attic. I'm not sure where they are exactly, but they make this funny vibrating sound, like a tiny jackhammer. It goes vrrrrrrrrr......... vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........ vrrrrrrrrr etc. My question is, what is that sound? What are they doing up there? And now that the weather is getting colder, I haven't heard the sound for a while. Are they hibernating, or what? I know the sound will start again in the spring, it always does. What would I find if I actually looked inside the wall? And is there any chance they could make a hole in the wall, and start flying into the house?

I'm not complaining about them, mind you. I like them, and I'm curious about them. I like insects in general, except the parasitic ones.

MollyBeGood

That's so cool. I love unusual collections of things from nature (I have a small skull collection) and the fact that you are trying to help keep a "pest" alive with passing on information about them like that they are actually helpful is great!

Thanks for posting....but *sigh* I was almost killed by yellow jackets when i was little...like stung over 50 times(my brothers and I accidentally disrupted their hive in an old butter churn) so I am not so crazy about them haha

great pics too!!! XD

Silatuyok

Awesome :) But how do you know (I mean, really really know) that they are abandoned?? I would be too chicken to try to find out.

Hornetboy

just be careful if you ever buy one from a dealer you might get stung ...................... :D

LOL!!! Oh, I don't need to worry about that because all of these nests have been naturally abandoned before they are collected and shipped to me.

Hornetboy

Holy cow man. I'm IMPRESSED. Sure it's a unique hobby and collection, but the fascination with the nests and ability to even collect them is impressive.

I myself am extremely scared of wasps/hornets/bees whatever, so the pictures are cool yet give me the chills. I just picture a crap load of wasps flying out as I tried to get near one of the nests lol.

Thanks for sharing the pictures!

LOL!!! I love people's reactions upon seeing my collection!

I am glad that I DO collect wasp nests because this makes me different from most people. I don't want to fit into society's mold and be like everyone else. Instead I want to dance to the beat of my own drum... and this is exactly what I am doing! :)

Anyway, wasps are not THAT bad! They are aggressive when their nests are disturbed. Heck, I would attack an intruder threatening my home too! Hehehe!!! Individual wasps are pretty gentle away from their nests. They won't mess with you if you don't mess with them. Wasps don't attack for no reason at all. Venom is a valuable resource to them and they need to conserve it for when they really need it. Wasps are NOT out to get people!

It is my pleasure to share my wasp passion with you wonderful folks and educate you about these fascinating creatures in the process.

Hornetboy

Hornetboy is my new hero! I love to see people doing what inspires them most, whatever it may be. It's individuality at its finest.

Mr Boy, I have a question about wasps, or hornets. There's a colony of them that live somewhere in my house, inside a wall maybe, or maybe somewhere in the attic. I'm not sure where they are exactly, but they make this funny vibrating sound, like a tiny jackhammer. It goes vrrrrrrrrr......... vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........ vrrrrrrrrr etc. My question is, what is that sound? What are they doing up there? And now that the weather is getting colder, I haven't heard the sound for a while. Are they hibernating, or what? I know the sound will start again in the spring, it always does. What would I find if I actually looked inside the wall? And is there any chance they could make a hole in the wall, and start flying into the house?

I'm not complaining about them, mind you. I like them, and I'm curious about them. I like insects in general, except the parasitic ones.

Awwwwwwwwwwww... ::eek:: Thank you very much for your kind words!

If everyone was into the exact same thing, then this world would be a VERY BORING place to live in. I think individuality is a beautiful thing!

Well, buzzing is the natural sound of an active colony. I've never heard it described as a jackhammer though! Honeybee colonies hibernate through the winter and reuse their nests the following year. Wasp colonies abandon their nests and die during the late fall/early winter and don't reuse their nests the following year. You will see combs if you open the wall where the nest is. Anyway, which do you have? Bees or wasps?

Last edited: