My neighbor asked me why I don’t go out on the weekends :/

TableFor1

How embarrassing! I live in a condo complex and have small talk with a few neighbors in the halls now and again… but, one gentleman in particular (I get the feeling he is interested in me), commented that he always sees my car parked and why don’t I go out? I was NOT expecting that! I completely panicked. I lied and said that I take my bike out or friends pick me up. I feel bad that I lied, but the truth was just not an option to say out loud - especially to a semi-stranger. How would you have handled that?

-TF1

Last edited:

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Haha... Some years ago I would probably have reacted the way you did, but now I would just have said that I like to take it easy at home during week-ends. What you do with your free time is really none of anyone's business, and you don't have to feel embarrassed about it AT ALL.

Edit: And he probably didn't mean to judge you. It might just be his clumsy way to try to start a conversation.

Last edited:

TableFor1

Haha... Some years ago I would probably have reacted the way you did, but now I would just have said that I like to take it easy at home during week-ends. What you do with your free time is really none of anyone's business, and you don't have to feel embarrassed about it AT ALL.

Thanks PL, I will keep that in mind "if" there's a next time.

cowboyup

Oh, I've been in that situation before. I'm sorry that happened to you - awkward!

I don't really think it's any of his business.
Sounds like a nosy neighbor.
Or if he's interested in you, as you suspect, maybe he was fishing around to see what answer you throw at him.

How I handled it was that I just casually said, "oh I go out" and left it at that.
Though the person was much older and I think they were just being 'observant' lol

TableFor1

Oh, I've been in that situation before. I'm sorry that happened to you - awkward!

I don't really think it's any of his business.
Sounds like a nosy neighbor.
Or if he's interested in you, as you suspect, maybe he was fishing around to see what answer you throw at him.

How I handled it was that I just casually said, "oh I go out" and left it at that.
Though the person was much older and I think they were just being 'observant' lol

Yes, super awkward! Sheesh. Maybe you’re right. I just wasn't prepared. I would never have asked someone that. That was a curve ball for sure.

Lamb

Wah! Lol, that would've been a surprising question. If I felt annoyed at the time I probably would've said I don't like people. Or told him I do go out, he just doesn't see me. Or that I'm scared of driving. :giggle:

Don't feel bad, it was a reflex reaction. It put you in a weird spot.

TableFor1

Wah! Lol, that would've been a surprising question. If I felt annoyed at the time I probably would've said I don't like people. Or told him I do go out, he just doesn't see me. Or that I'm scared of driving. :giggle:

Don't feel bad, it was a reflex reaction. It put you in a weird spot.

LOL.. To tell him I don't like people, his expression would have been priceless for sure.

Last edited:

ImNotMyIllness

That would have been embarrassing. I had an old nosy neighbor ask me a bunch of questions, I just gave her a bunch of terse answers. She eventually left me alone.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I would have told him that I simply prefer to stay home and chill. There's nothing wrong with staying home.

You don't owe anyone any explanations about what you do. It's none of their business, especially if they are a semi-stranger, as you described him.

HeadFace

Whenever people say this to me it feels more like an insult rather than something they're just trying to interject

TableFor1

Edit: And he probably didn't mean to judge you. It might just be his clumsy way to try to start a conversation.

Hmm, interesting perspective. Luckily I didn't feel judged, just put on the spot. After rethinking how it went down, you're probably right about being clumsy. I tend to keep my conversations short, sweet and to the point. I don't leave a lot of room open for people to get to know me. I appreciate your input.

Barrier

I know I'd feel awkward too. I'd probably lie about it and feel like someone's watching me a little too closely. I hope I would just say it's none of their business. Then again someone notices you, which is also something. It's never easy is it? Over-thinking everything.

Xervello

How embarrassing! I live in a condo complex and have small talk with a few neighbors in the halls now and again… but, one gentleman in particular (I get the feeling he is interested in me), commented that he always sees my car parked and why don’t I go out? I was NOT expecting that! I completely panicked. I lied and said that I take my bike out or friends pick me up. I feel bad that I lied, but the truth was just not an option to say out loud - especially to a semi-stranger. How would you have handled that?

-TF1

Well with men it's tricky, because one can never know if a guy is creepy or what. My original advice would be to tell the truth; just not all of it. To say something like "I'm kind of a homebody. Don't like to socialize" or something like that without explaining myself with charts and graphs. I mean, if you ever meet a guy you ARE interested in, he'll discover the truth one way or the other. Better to be honest upfront. And if you're comfortable being who you are then it will show in a positive way. And people respond to confidence. And a lot of guys are attracted to unconventional types. However, if this guy is noticing stuff like your departure routine, I'd listen for alarm sirens in your gut. In case this guy is a predator-type who preys on people like us - that are introverted and vulnerable.