Memory Loss

Jimsie

I just had a pretty scary experience just going to the shops to get food. I was standing in the queue feeling particularly anxious, possibly more than usual. Paranoid that people are looking at me etc etc.

Anyway when I went to pay for my shopping, suddenly I had forgot my pin number. This is the same 4 digit pin number that I have been using for the last 4+ years and never had a problem remembering it before. Why would I suddenly just forget it like that? I just started typing in random digits hoping that somehow i would pick the right ones out of instinct, but nope. It wasn't until I went outside and walked around for a bit that I finally remembered it. Recently I have been feeling more and more like everything isn't real.

I am wondering if this is a common thing that comes with anxiety or could this be something else? I'm not on any medication or anything.

Phoenixx

Yeah I'm pretty sure suddenly forgetting things is common with anxiety. It's happened to me before a few times too. Forgetting pin numbers on the spot, instantly forgetting your social security number even though you've had it memorized for a couple years now, forgetting what the date is when writing a check, yeah it's all happened to me.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
It's a common problem for me in situations where I need to deal with people. It's especially detrimental for me when I'm being instructed on something, like at work--the high pressure, high anxiety of it can really screw up my brain so that I remember almost nothing of what I'm told.

Hoppy

One of the symptons of not getting enough sleep is short term memory loss.

Any sort of sleep disturbance that prevent you from reaching deep sleep will have that sort of effect on you, especially if it is long term.

I've been known to stand in the middle of the workshop having absolutely no idea what I was busy doing or what I am trying to do. Not very nice.

WeirdyMcGee

I had the same combination lock for my locker in highschool.
I used it for 5 years-- 4+ times a day, every day of the school year.
I'd often forget it and have a friend open it for me.

I have a bad memory for numbers.
I don't know my postal code or my own phone number- can't even remember my own birthday or how old I am most of the time.

I'm Not There

Wow... I had a very similar experience just this morning...

I had a problem with my cell phone, so I decided to turn it off and on again. Then when it asked me for my pin number, I couldn't for the world remember the 4 digits that I've been using for the last 5+ years. I entered the wrong combination 3 times, so my phone just locked up on me. Even at this very moment, I still can't remember it. I've been to the store where I bought it and luckily they managed to fix it.

In the afternoon I would be meeting some people I'd never seen before. I wasn't really feeling anxious about this, so I doubt this could've triggered it.

Jimsie

Hm, seems like it probably was due to anxiety and possibly lack of sleep then. Possibly something to do with a lack of concentration as well. I am generally quite bad at remembering numbers as well, I don't bother trying to learn phone numbers etc.

AsTimeBurns

Pretty irrelevant, but I remember once when I was quite young at school we were doing some sort of exercise where we had to say our date of birth. Being put on the spot like that made me completely forget what it was and I took a wild stab in the dark at the 15th of December.

At the end of the lesson (even though no-one knew I had been wrong) I was so embarrassed I went and told the teacher I was wrong and my birthday was actually the 17th of December.

FYI: my birthday is the 19th of December

MikeyC

Don't fret it, mate. I had to answer some questions in an informal interview years ago and I forgot my age. Just...forgot my age.

that's pretty common with anxiety, don't worry on that. more worries, less memory. I never know where I park my car, in front of my house : P Worst is to forget some cousin names I dont' see for ages...that's pretty scary! But life goes on....

una

I didn't know it was because of anxiety. i also can't hear people well when i am excited. "damn! what did she say? keep smiling."

Duzmiu

ive had that before its why i always use cash now, all tho i have forgotten how to count before, that was embarresing but pretty funny aswell, just gave a handful of change over and hoped for the best lol