Looking at photos of yourself...

phudge

is it just me or do you find that you cant look at a photo of yourself without the feeling of "oh my god, you are disgusting" this has been haunting me so much that whenever i catch site of a camera i run far away!

this has been really depressing me as of late :(

on a related note has any of you ever had the feeling that a news crew may be filming and might get a picture of me and put it on the news? i usally avoid all the busy streets because of this :oops:

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
phudge said:
is it just me or do you find that you cant look at a photo of yourself without the feeling of "oh my god, you are disgusting" this has been haunting me so much that whenever i catch site of a camera i run far away!

on a related note has any of you ever had the feeling that a news crew may be filming and might get a picture of me and put it on the news? i usally avoid all the busy streets because of this :oops:

I can relate, I'm the same. I hate having my picture taken, nevermind looking at photos of myself. I'm too self conscious. At school I always hated those days where you had to have your school picture taken - in my head I criticizing what it'll look like before the picture is even taken.

Anyway, I don't tend to run whenever I see a camera, instead I look away and avoid eye contact altogether.

xSleepy

I HATE seeing pics of myself. What I see in my mirror is not what I see in pictures. I just look terrible!

Argamemnon

I hate seeing myself. I have come to the conclusion that I'm not ugly, but I do appear ugly because I'm terribly depressed and anxious all the time. It doesn't make it any less painful though.

Yes. I also think I look different in the mirror than is photos. I just get really upset because I cannot believe I look the way I do. So, instead when I do have a picture, I try to find some way to hide it and appear not as horribly disgusting. I hate feeling ugly all the time.

autumn_82

phudge said:

Well, being as I'm unphotogenic, most of the photos that exist of me are cringeworthy from the teen years on. When I was little I photographed fine--maybe because I didn't feel so awkward? I don't know, go figure. I always dread seeing how I've come out on film, as more often than not I feel my stomach drop and I get very depressed for the rest of the day at how repulsive I am. Then I start thinking of the people who've said I'm pretty, and wonder if they're all lying, just to make me feel better, because I'm so hideous. But then I try to think about the people who've said these things, and some of them wouldn't have made the comment if they didn't think it were true.

And I don't usually feel when walking around that there's a newscrew near, but if I see the local news filming something I'll avoid them like the plague--I'll take the long way around--to avoid ending up on the news to avoid the humiliation of people seeing me and laughing at how hideous I am.

Sometimes I feel pretty, but the next minute it's like I'm looking at myself through different eyes, and the same legs that looked fine the previous minute now look grotesquely fat. I realize this is all part of my anxiety problem, and I'm probably not as ugly as I think (like some people on these boards).

xabbashiax

i absolutley hate having pictures of myself i think i look so ugly i in the photos i look like a completley different person to how I feel I look in the mirror. i just can't stand taking pictures, i hate it so much :?

Dave_McFadden

I don't particularly like pictures of myself. To be honest, I don't think I'm a bad looking guy. I'm no Brad Pitt but I'm not hideous either, I'm probably about average looking. But when I try to smile on purpose for a picture, it comes out looking goofy and forced. So I try to look serious in pictures, but I have a natural scowl so I even have to "force" that a little. And then I look constipated. The best pictures I take are ones where I'm off to the side and someone else is the center of attention and so I'm not really expected to have any kind of expression. Which is all well and good provided I'm not supposed to be posing, but when it's a family picture in front of the Festivus Pole, I rarely seem to able to put an expression on my face that I like.

Sorry about that rant, should have quit while I was ahead.

that1guy

Psychedelicious said:
Yes. I also think I look different in the mirror than is photos. I just get really upset because I cannot believe I look the way I do. So, instead when I do have a picture, I try to find some way to hide it and appear not as horribly disgusting. I hate feeling ugly all the time.
wow... your not even bad looking at all. Haha ive seen pics of you from that one forum a while ago and I thought you were beautiful. I loved the pink sexy hair!

mikium

I'm not photogenic either, due to being overweight and being rather homely looking in the face. But hey, nobody is perfect, we can't all look like olympians, etc.

recluse

If i take my own photo i can delete them if i think they look bad and take the time to take one at a flattering angle, but when someone takes my photo i usually have a shock when i see my pic.

Nabu

I don't have any issue to look into the mirror, but I don't like photos of me.
Since a couple of weeks I try to get more comfortable by making photos of me. But the confrontation part by looking to them I have postponed.

steviegerrard489

phudge said:

Yeah, I can't stand looking at photos! I'm usually squinting because of the flash. My complexion has never been great and the camera often picks this out. My hair is thinning a bit on top- not massively but the camera flash makes it look worse! I always look like I'm drunk too.

hbanana11

I HATE having photos taken of me..mostly because they are directed and/or zoomed in on my face. I am actually fairly comfortable with the rest of my body but I absolutely despise my face. Im surprised i dont break the lense.

And, like others have said, I dont feel like i look the same in pictures as i do in person. When i look in the mirror im not quite as self conscious about myself as i am seeing a photo of me....they just dont quite match.

IceLad

I'm definitely not photogenic!

I hate it when people take photos of me without my permission. It's not as if I can go round to their house afterwards and demand that they delete or rip up the offending snap.

Wolf-Will

I thought i was unusual with me not wanting to be in most photos as all my friends cant wait to get in front of the camera. I don't think i'm ugly especially when i look in front of the mirror but if i see myself in a photo i get very anxious on if i really look like what is seen in a photo and i'm seeing sombody completely different in the reflection of the mirror (strange eh?). Below is a photo that my partner took a couple of weeks back and she says i look great in it and i hate it.

paulpose3.jpg

VioletTears

I also feel like the person I see in my pics isn't the same one that I see in the mirror. On top of that, I feel like I could post 10 pics of myself taken within the past 2 years and look like a different person on each of them. Part of that is because I dye my hair different colors a lot and switch styles a lot (I was kind of semi goth before teaching but since becoming "professional" I can't seem to find a style that fits both me and my job), but it's more than just that... My face seems to change, too. It's sort of confusing because I don't feel like I really have a good sense of what I look like:p

I love taking pics but hate being in them.

Rodox

I always have a weird face in pics,without talking about that I look sleppy or stoned in most of them like in my av,maybe because I am half asian...