Just want to share a proud moment...

HHDisturbed

Hi all. This might not be directly related to hyperhidrosis but is an accomplishment that I am extremely proud of nevertheless.

This weekend I took my wife turkey BOW hunting with me. We got up at 4:15 am, got dressed, made some coffee to go and out the door we went. We made it up to my hunting spot around 5 am. From where we parked it was a brisk walk of about a quarter mile to my hunting blind. It was a cool morning but I was sweating pretty good by the time we got there. (Which is why I packed a towel and extra shirt in my backpack.) I set up my decoys, got set-up in the blind (toweled off) and started making turkey calls.

We heard plenty of gobbling responses to my calls until about 7:30 when it just got quiet. I didn't get discouraged. I would periodicaly make some turkey yelps and clucks in hopes of bringing one my way. Well, at about 8:30 my wife taps me saying, "turkey turkey turkey". I lean forward to see a nice gobbler slowly strutting toward my decoys. I reached down to pick up my bow and my wife taps me again and whispers "theres more theres more". I leaned forward again to see now 3 turkeys headed our way! I remained calm and made a couple final hen purrs to bring em in the last 40 yards.

These three turkeys came straight to my decoys. I picked the biggest of the three, drew my bow and sighted him in at 20 yards. BAM! Perfect shot! Dropped him right there! After 4 years of trying to get one I finally got the perfect opportunity and harvested a beautiful 18 pound tom turkey. I was so proud because getting a wild turkey with a BOW is apparently one of the most difficult and highly respected accomplishments among hunters. Now I am looking forward to a delicious turkey dinner!

Thank you for letting me share my exciting experience and remember that life is what YOU make of it.

Turkey2013-01-sm.jpg

Last edited:

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
haha too much entousiasm here... I hope you girls are vegetarians, or else it's highly hypocrite of you :D

ukchick

haha too much entousiasm here... I hope you girls are vegetarians, or else it's highly hypocrite of you :D
I am too but a bit unfair to say when I don't expect to see stuff discussing hunting on this forum..not the right place for it in my opinion...

WishingICould

I am too but a bit unfair to say when I don't expect to see stuff discussing hunting on this forum..not the right place for it in my opinion...

Agreed.

I also find it a bit sinister when people take photos of people smiling with the dead animal they've just killed. It's like they have no compassion. Especially people who kill animals for sport.

Yes We Can

first of all I want to say Congrats, and... I'm glad to know that you are hunting for food, and not just simply the sport of it. I've never been hunting, the closest I've come was working in a slaughterhouse. I do believe however, that it would be a valuable skill to have, should I ever find myself with no access to a supermarket or such. Also, it sounded to me like you were simply sharing your sense of accomplishment and perseverance, which I can totally appreciate.
Accomplishments in one area of one's life, can have potential to build confidence and carry over to other parts of one's life; and personally, I think that could be the start of something good. Just my two cents.

WishingICould

first of all I want to say Congrats, and... I'm glad to know that you are hunting for food, and not just simply the sport of it. I've never been hunting, the closest I've come was working in a slaughterhouse. I do believe however, that it would be a valuable skill to have, should I ever find myself with no access to a supermarket or such. Also, it sounded to me like you were simply sharing your sense of accomplishment and perseverance, which I can totally appreciate.
Accomplishments in one area of one's life, can have potential to build confidence and carry over to other parts of one's life; and personally, I think that could be the start of something good. Just my two cents.

You worked in a slaughterhouse? Eurgh... :eek:mg:

HHDisturbed

Yes, everyone has a right to their opinion and I respect that. But I am a bit surprised by the responses. YesWeCan & PacificLoner got it. All I wanted to do was to share a proud moment that I have tried for several years to acheive. I didn't mean to offend you veggie munchers and in my defense I did mention "sweating" in my story. LOL

I have every right do be proud and I am. Besides, this turkey did not suffer. I placed my shot in the most humane place you can hit. He never knew what hit him and he was gone in seconds. And yes...a very wonderful turkey dinner for my family. Can't wait to do it again next year!

In closing, I do not own a rifle or a shotgun. I hunt only with a bow just as our ancestors have done for many thousands of years (although mine is a bit better than theirs). I have always respected bow hunters for the primal aspect. It's not so much the "joy of the kill" but rather the "pride of the hunt". I don't expect non-hunters to understand but there is a difference. Whether or not you are a meat eater it is likely that man would not have evolved without it. So get over it! (and damn, I look good in camo. LOL)

Last edited:

HHDisturbed

You are certainly allowed to feel strongly about your beliefs Wishing but stepping on another's proud moment is not very becoming of you. I meant to share my experience in a very positive way. I am actually a very kind and gentle soul who just so happens to hunt. In the fall I bowhunt deer too. I am allowed to kill two deer on my legal state deer tags. There are way too many deer in this part of the country and are considered a nuisance where it is necessary that their populations are controlled. So given that, each year I take one for my family and I donate the other to Salvation Army to feed local families in need.

I am not tooting my own horn but you should be aware that my intentions are pure and I feel quite strongly about this too. Yet, I have not condemned you for your beliefs.

Last edited: