Just told everyone I was developing an alcohol addiction ...

schist

... and most of them laughed it off and thought I was just doing it for attention.

The fact that it took a lot for me to man up and admit I had a problem (the first step), and it's just a joke to some people. :rolleyes:

It's alright though - I'll be the one laughing when their lives are sucked into a downward spiral due to a substance dependency.

Kinetik

Sadly, these things often have to be noticed by others before they're considered true, even if you know you have a legitimate problem. A lot of folks have the mentality that you wouldn't be readily volunteering that information if it really were the case.

Section_31

Schist, i say its very serious when someone says somthing like that. It takes alot of guts to do what you did.

Have yuo tried takling about this to someone else?. A doctor or somthing?. Dont stop talking untill someone listens. and someone will.

I find alot of the time people will laugh stuff off like this because they dont want to face reality and face the possibility that someone close to them has an issue like this. To me thats the equivelant of burying ones head in the sand. Its not constructive and isnt helpful, and may in fact serve to push the person needing help further from getting it.

Keep trying. someone else will listen to you.

Edit

Sorry about my horrific spelling. Still a little doped on pain medication right now >.<

MikeyC

Good on you for seeing the signs and taking the first step.

It's unfortunate that the people around you laughed at you but they will soon come to realise that you are serious and maybe they'll want to help you through it. Alcohol addiction is not a good thing to be having and I'm proud of you that you're going to take steps to end it.

We're living in a world where drinking alcohol is the norm, and not drinking is abnormal, so it'll take a little while for that information to sink in with your friends. It will, though. :)

Section_31

Good on you for seeing the signs and taking the first step.

It's unfortunate that the people around you laughed at you but they will soon come to realise that you are serious and maybe they'll want to help you through it. Alcohol addiction is not a good thing to be having and I'm proud of you that you're going to take steps to end it.

We're living in a world where drinking alcohol is the norm, and not drinking is abnormal, so it'll take a little while for that information to sink in with your friends. It will, though. :)

^

this is the truth. I dnot drink at all and ive gotten alot of strange looks, lol.

MikeyC

^

this is the truth. I dnot drink at all and ive gotten alot of strange looks, lol.
Admittedly, I used to find it strange if someone wouldn't drink, back when I was about 19-20. I needed to drink to have a good time.

These days, at 25, I've completely reversed that thinking and I can now understand when someone doesn't drink. I'm actually drinking less and my mate finds that a bit weird (and he's 29).

Good on you for not drinking at all, mate. You're doing what you want and that's all you can ask of yourself. :)

schist

Cheers for the support guys :)

Unfortunately, we live in a world where people are programmed to revile those with weaknesses rather than try to help them. It's social Darwinism at its lowest. (Eg. if a girl's boyfriend/husband has a drug/alcohol/gambling problem, they are told to drop him and find someone else, rather than try to help him out of it)

I'm not stopping drinking altogether - I'll likely have one now and again in future, but for now cutting alcohol out completely is probably best for me.

MikeyC

I'm not stopping drinking altogether - I'll likely have one now and again in future, but for now cutting alcohol out completely is probably best for me.
A social drink or two a night is fine - I think there's studies saying it's actually healthy - as long as you don't overdo it.

Make sure you let us know your progress. :)

OceanMist

Of course a lot of people will say someone is an alcoholic. Do you know how insanely popular alcohol is? It's something that every single race and country have in common, they all like to drink.

I've said the exact same thing to my friends. One of them told me they were the same as me (alcoholics). Addiction is based on one's own opinion, I believe.

You'll have people calling someone an alcoholic if they drink heavily every weekend, and then you'll have people calling someone an alcoholic if they drink lightly on the every weekend. I'm just saying it doesn't take much alcohol to be viewed as an alcoholic by many people. It's kind of stupid that people are quick to call people alcoholics, if you ask me.

I don't consider myself an alcoholic and I drink medium-heavy about 2 or 3 nights a week.

Aletheia

I know a few people whose lives completely fell apart because of it.

They're "in recovery" now, and people make allowances for that (including not drinking around them at all if they find it too difficult).

Admitting you have a problem is absolutely the first step, and a very difficult thing to do, and I admire you for it.

MikeyC

This may sound controversial, but I think a lot of people out there are more alcohol-dependent than they realise, but they won't consider that this is so. They get tanked up every Friday after work and remain that way for the weekend. It doesn't make them alcoholics, but I doubt they'd be happy if you took the alcohol away from them or sent them to an alcohol-free bar one evening.
Oh, my friend would be very cranky if I took away his alcohol. He's not an alcoholic - won't touch it through the working week - but on weekends he's a bit of a binge drinker and loves to get wasted, and also doesn't understand why I'm drinking slow.

Now that he's gotten back in touch with an old friend, he's drinking more than ever.

MikeyC

A lot of my friends like that too. They got high-paid jobs in the city and now they're out binging every Friday and Saturday and I can tell its starting to effect their mentality/emotions a bit. But if I suggested they had a problem I'd probably get told its just part of the London lifestyle :rolleyes:
Maybe it's the stresses accompanying these high-paying jobs, plus the fact that they have some money to throw around, that causes them to binge on a weekend? That's my initial thought, anyway. And you're right - you can't tell them because you'll be the stickler. It's the same here, too: "Oh, come on. It's an Australian tradition to drink!"

I'm not fully bashing alcohol, either, as I've had my fair share of drunken escapades, but the novelty has really worn off these days. It's nice to be able to drive places if I want to, and not have to wait 16 hours after a night drinking before I can do so (was a hair away from getting caught once).

Feathers

schist, I applaud you for seeing you need a break and not drinking!!

I've had relatives with lives severely affected by alcohol - one is totally sober now and goes to club meetings, once a month I think? One has been in a hospital for this (a few times)... Check what's available locally... There may be support groups and doctors that can help...

Some people may be unsupportive because they may have a problem themselves and don't want to face it!!

Not just hi-money jobs, people in factories and young people in general (high school or uni), or older people too, can be a problem... I think any excuse is good for some people! Something good happened, let's drink! Something bad happened, let's drink!!

OceanMist

Rant upcoming
Dependency......why is this such a bad thing all the time to society now? It seems every problem now is based on one's insecurity according to this New Age stuff.

Am I dependent on alcohol? Yeah, sort of. I can handle not drinking, but would prefer to drink because I have access to it. Why is it such a bad thing to drink heavy? I'm not drinking and driving. I'm not going around insulting other people while intoxicated. I'm not fighting anyone. I'm not drinking before or during work.

The bottom line is I'm just having a good time that isn't at anyone's expense. Why does that has to be labeled as a problem? How am I doing something wrong? Why is it always "bad" to be dependent on something?

I have a drinking problem you say? I say no. I have no problem. I'm having a safe, good time and enjoying life. That's not a problem. That's living.

Feathers

OceanMist, no one here has been talking to you particularly, we've been talking to schist who started the thread saying he realized he had a problem.

Some of my relatives' lives have been ruined by too much alcohol - and it was a slippery line between 'I don't have a problem' to realizing they did have a problem sometimes... (Sometimes the people didn't see it, but their immediate family had big problems because of them! eg cleaning after them, havoc in the night, injuries when drunk, health problems, other relatives having to work at their farm then, etc.)

Any dependency that takes a way my freedom is a problem in my book... But we are all different, and if you're able to function well and enjoy your life and you've got good health... (?)

Alcohol can destroy brain cells and liver, and 'robs' the body of vitamins and minerals (like sugar or coffee or environmental pollution too), it can increase depression and suicidal behavior and I've seen it can make worse some other illnesses too, eg rheumatism/gout etc... so I hope your other genetic and environmental factors are good... !!

If you really don't have a problem, then go you! Many people like to have a drink now and then, eg for birthdays or other celebrations... Some are nice and some can become unpleasant (or embarassing to be with!) when drunk... (I'm talking about my own relatives and acquaintances again, of course!)

I think a lot of alcoholism starts out as 'jolly good times' and then it gets out of hand... I come from a country full of alcoholics (high up on the suicide list too) where there has been a lot of peer pressure to 'drink up' among youngsters so forgive me if I might be bitter...

MikeyC

Am I dependent on alcohol? Yeah, sort of. I can handle not drinking, but would prefer to drink because I have access to it. Why is it such a bad thing to drink heavy? I'm not drinking and driving. I'm not going around insulting other people while intoxicated. I'm not fighting anyone. I'm not drinking before or during work.
Dependency on alcohol or any substance is only a problem if it affects your life in negative ways. Nothing wrong with drinking heavily, but consider its repercussions:

Family: you're not spending time with them, more so at the bar or pub
Work life: you're going to work hungover/drunk and not doing your duties
Social life: you're always drinking at every opportunity even at functions that aren't alcohol-friendly
Finance: you're spending a lot of your wages on alcohol
Relationship: you're not spending time with your significant other
Mental health: you're constantly thinking about your next drink and you can't wait until you have it

I'm not suggesting you have any of those, but even ticking one of those boxes can be a gateway to having alcohol dependency.

EDIT: Feathers has explained it way better than I just did.

MercySparx

Its a hard thing for young adults to deal with others alchohol dependency because it is so intergrated into how they socialize.

OceanMist

I get the concern, alcohol can definitely be a problem for many people.

There are people that have a right to drink, and people that don't. Some may call it the "mean drunk" vs. "nice drunk" case. People that believe drinking and driving is okay in any situation shouldn't be allowed to drink. That is a huge problem around the world, drinking and driving. I hate that it's so common, and people are getting killed all the time because they decided to make that stupid decision of getting behind the wheel after downing a bunch of alcohol.

Then you've got your fighters, those guys are everywhere. Women that fit into the fighting category are usually more arguers than physical fighters, but there are way too many guys out there that drink just so they can look for their next fight. I have friends like that and hate them for it. Every weekend, it's like who can they fight next with them. A couple of them even tried to fight me one time. Real classy guys.....not.

So yes, there are many people that have problems and shouldn't be drinking. There are people that know how to handle their liquor, though, such as myself, and can be responsible. People like me have a right to drink. In fact, it helps me enjoy my life more. It helps me fight boredom and depression.

As far as it effecting me financially, so what? I'd rather spend my money on something I enjoy than save my money and wind up never using it. I want to live. I don't want to live my life like my dad's side's parents, who saved every penny they had until they died and never used any of their money to enjoy their life. I don't want to live an uptight, boring life like that.