It's the quiet ones you need to lookout for

miss_amy

I hear a lot in these cases people say things like 'you never would have guessed that about him', or 'he seemed so normal'.
I hear what you are saying and see where you are coming from but I really don't think people around you are thinking that about shy quiet people. If anything shy quiet people fade in to the background and don't get noticed.

ShyChild

Yeah I've heard that too. I think it has to do with various shootings over the years. Of course I don't like the idea of shy people portrayed as nut cases, but in those real life events there were always signs that they weren't right (i.e. brutal drawings, prior threats, etc). There's more to it than just being quiet & I'm sure the real experts (outside the media) know that as well.

Nearly 40% (last I read) of the population define themselves as shy. If that stereotype of 'you have to watch out for the quiet ones' was true, I think society would really be even more chaotic.

CHAKRAPOINT

for me its really because of the way it makes me feel around my family when we watch the news together,i can literally feel my judgemental father and mother looking at me even though they arent whenever there is one of theses stories on the news.shychild its that because i know people think im not right that makes me anxious,little eye contact,no smile,they immediately think im someone they cant trust

megalon

I hate when people say things like that. People at work will say some sort of teasing remark about how quiet I am and then follow it up with jokingly asking me to not kill them if I ever go on a rampage. There's no way I would ever intentionally hurt anyone. I nearly get to the point of tears if I run over a squirrel. I would do anything in my power to help a complete stranger if they asked me. I'm one of the nicest guys anyone could ever meet, the nicest guy anyone will never meet.

I hate when people say things like that. People at work will say some sort of teasing remark about how quiet I am and then follow it up with jokingly asking me to not kill them if I ever go on a rampage. There's no way I would ever intentionally hurt anyone. I nearly get to the point of tears if I run over a squirrel. I would do anything in my power to help a complete stranger if they asked me. I'm one of the nicest guys anyone could ever meet, the nicest guy anyone will never meet.

I love this guy.
I agree too, and hate it. I've been told by others I seem "sneaky". Because I don't talk much, I must be planning something and judging them harshly.
It's amazing how saying nothing can make someone feel hate towards with you without even properly knowing you.

Kathryn.fr

Glad everyone else feels da same :) my dad keeps telling me the "way i dress" or "you walk like a punk or terrorist" and like teling me that I'm quite it attracts the cops and stuff. I get harassed everywhere by cops simply because I don't move on the train, or I sit still too long, or I don't look at people. This is like, bull**** lol.

I get harassed everywhere by cops simply because I don't move on the train, or I sit still too long, or I don't look at people. This is like, bull**** lol.

Cops mess with you because you sit still too long and don't look at people?
What kind of cops are these?
Wow, talk about having nothing else to do.

Nyoron

yea, i get this quite a lot.. i usually just laugh it off, but it can be hurtful sometimes. now obviously this sterotype is dumb, but i'd bet that the only reason it came into existence is because of a minority personality difference others feel the need to point out (in the same vien as the classic 'you're quiet, aren't you?'). when a non-quiet person commits a crime, it's just a crime, there is nothing 'different' for people to pick at, and people _love_ to pick at differences. these stereotypical 'quiet' statements can be amusing at times if you take 'em lightly though.. i remember someone asking me in college if i had replaced myself with a mannequin and gone home for the day because i didn't say a word. i couldn't stop myself from laughing at that one, it was at least different.

Phoenixx

Yeah I hate that statement too. All throughout high school I got teased for being quiet. They always said things along the lines of me hurting someone, the most common being "She'll beat you up!" Even some of my teachers throughout school joined in on it. It really got on my nerves. The only person to do it that didn't bother me was my Spanish teacher. Only because he knew who I really was and he was always my favorite teacher (...and I may have been his favorite student. :rolleyes:::p:).

WeirdyMcGee

I think it means more along the lines of....

When a quiet/seemingly 'normal' person does something terrible, you would never have guessed they could because you don't know anything about them BECAUSE they are quiet/reserved/generally shy. It would seem out of character. We're all human beings though... we'll all screw up from time to time or be troubled and never ask for help until it's too late.

Kind of like how I believe that anyone who tries very hard to fit into a mold and to look and seem 'perfect in every way'- living in a perfect house with a perfect marriage, perfect family, average everything... must be strange or have something very abnormal about them just because you wouldn't ever expect it.

Serial killers are often described by their neighbors as 'nice, normal guys/girls' afterall... right?

I just think you should look out for everyone because any person is capable of doing bad things if they feel like it. Don't over do it-- but... just be aware of the people around you.

Apotheosis

So how many serial killers do you know? :rolleyes:

*goes back to quietly watching everyone else*

Other than me?

I mean, uh, other than... ah (what rhymes with "me"?)... um... Bundy! You know, the one with the grave and the fapping, and all that business.

Aaanyways, I think I legitimately dated a future serial killer. I didn't have that opinion when I asked her out, mind you (the sex was great: crazy in the head, crazy in the bed I suppose). Shortly before we broke up she had begun to tell me a little too much about how she wanted to get back at some bullies at school.

I didn't know what to think about that so I kind of bailed for the rest of the night.

Ironically, we broke up two days later over me not wanting drive her to the beach while I was sick (I really was). She blamed me, so she drove by my house and threw a decapitated teddy bear (my formerly intact birthday present to her) into my front yard.

On a related note: I would describe her as dark, but outgoing and VERY loud, not shy at all on the surface.