It's not all about you.

MrTimid&Shy

this is an article i read online. very insightful for us sa'ers

From Los Angeles Times:

It's not all about you

Chances are, others aren't judging you as harshly as you think, if at all.

By Benedict Carey
Times Staff Writer

January 13, 2003

Oh, things sure took a bad turn. Mortifying, that's what it was. Such a big party -- friends, co-workers -- and you dumped that drink! How can you live with being such a klutz? Who there will ever forget it?

Take a deep breath. Stop obsessing. It probably wasn't as bad as you think. Not nearly.

A growing body of research shows that far fewer people notice our gaffes than we believe as we pace the floor in private, going over and over the faux pas. And those who do notice judge us less harshly than we imagine. In a series of groundbreaking studies over the last two years, psychologists have shown that the "spotlight effect," as they call it, is a universal experience that distorts our egocentric notion about the degree to which people in groups, like parties and work gatherings, pay attention to us.

Learning to recognize this self-deception can soothe the anxiety that surrounds social interactions. "In this case, the truth will set you free," said Kenneth Savitsky, a psychologist at Williams College in Williamstown, Mass., who studies how egocentrism affects behavior. "You can't completely eliminate the embarrassment you feel when you commit a faux pas, but it helps to know how much you're exaggerating its impact."

The spotlight effect blinds us in several ways. A few years ago, researchers at Cornell University conducted an experiment with 109 college students in which young men and women enter a roomful of their peers, alone, while wearing a Barry Manilow T-shirt. The pop singer wasn't exactly a favorite in the dorms of Ithaca, N.Y., at the time. The students felt self-conscious about the shirt, and after spending only moments in the room, met individually with researchers and guessed that at least half of their peers had noticed and might have said something about the Manilow shirt. Not so, the researchers found. On average, less than a quarter of the people in the room had paid any attention at all. Follow-up experiments using T-shirts have found that people exaggerate by up to six times the percentage of observers who notice.

A pioneer in this field, Tom Gilovich, a psychologist at Cornell, has demonstrated the same exaggerated misperceptions in several situations, such as group discussions about social issues. In a 2000 study, Gilovich and colleagues reported that students also badly overestimated how well their own gaffes and clever arguments were noticed by others in discussion groups. "The fact is that others do not notice us nearly as much as we think they do," Gilovich said. Contrary to every instinct, our nervousness, our sadness, even our lies are largely lost on most observers, he said.

The findings apply to most of us, of course, but not to everybody -- some people really do live under a microscope, as a chosen way of life. If the company's chief executive is cavorting with the bellhop at the annual retreat, she's surely going to hear about it. But as for the rest of us, our self-absorption not only creates a false spotlight, it also results in an exaggeration about how we are judged.

Most of the time a mistake is just a mistake, not a death sentence. As psychologists have shown, there is a knee-jerk critic in us all: When we see someone fall to the pavement, we may think, klutz; when a driver turns the wrong way down a one-way street, we may think, idiot. But the harshness is short-lived: Almost immediately, we tend to moderate our initial judgments if we continue to think about the incident at all, taking into account the circumstances: The road was icy, the one-way sign was obscured by a tree.

Yet we don't expect that same empathy for ourselves. In one recent experiment, psychologist Nicholas Epley of Harvard University and Gilovich asked students to imagine that they spilled a drink in their laps in the middle of an interview -- a blunder that went unnoticed until the interviewee stood to leave.

The researchers divided the young men and women into three groups. One group was asked to anticipate how the blunder would be evaluated by a harsh critic; another predicted how it would be viewed by a charitable person; and the third estimated how it would come across to an "average" interviewer. The students' responses showed they made no distinction between a harsh critic and an average one (they were all thought to be harsh), although they did expect to be judged much more positively by a charitable person, as the ratings showed. But that charitable person often doesn't come to mind. "This is a very reliable effect," said Epley. "When anticipating how others will evaluate us for our embarrassing mishaps, people seem to automatically imagine critics with horns and fangs."

Mark Leary, a psychology professor at Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, N.C., said the spotlight effect, painful as it may be, has social utility, at least at the extremes. It's better to be too sensitive to what people may be thinking, even if you're wrong, than to be unconscious of it. "If you're going to err, you're better off being oversensitive when people aren't watching you than oblivious when they are," he said. "The risk of being excluded is too high, in terms of getting jobs, in terms of finding a lover, of being accepted socially."

Some researchers speculate that the habits date back to early human history, when people lived in small, highly interdependent groups. "In those societies, certainly, the price for being ostracized would be evolutionary death," Epley said. "You would have to be very attuned to how others viewed you."

In modern life, it nevertheless can be enormously helpful to cut yourself a break. In a report due out this year, psychologists find for the first time that simple awareness of this native oversensitivity can improve how people do when they actually are in the spotlight. Savitsky and Gilovich had 77 Cornell students make a three-minute public speech on university race relations. The speakers had five minutes to prepare. Half were told in a vague sort of way not to worry, that it's natural to be anxious about public speaking. The other half were offered some genuine education on printed materials. They read about specific psychological findings that speakers "feel that their nervousness is transparent, but in reality their feelings are not so apparent to observers. If you become nervous, you'll probably be the only one to know." The result: The better-informed speakers were significantly more lucid and less nervous, as rated by outside judges. The researchers have not yet studied how well speakers do when they're nervous -- and have dumped a drink in their lap.

luckycharms

Good article.

Someone on here used to have a great signature that had the following quote:

“Shyness has a strange element of narcissism, a belief that how we look, how we perform, is truly important to other people."

-Andre Dubus

Isn't that the truth?

Lea

Banned
I hate this widespread myth that we care too much about what others think, that´s why are we shy. It´s not this way at all!! I don´t know how with others, but my behaviour is automatic and irrational, I look shy and scared in certain situations which some people perceive as weakness or that I care too much about what they think, but that's not where the truth is. It just comes automatically to me and I don't know why, as if there was some repulsive magnet or magnetic field which makes me act confused or silly. Or my bad eye contact is automatic, I don't know how to appear normal. Sometimes people even ask if I am afraid or scared or sad even when I'm not. It's probably a disease or something, but it's how my body naturally functions.

WeirdyMcGee

My therapist has told me this before but I said:

"I know it's not all about me-- infact, I care very little/ think very little of myself. I hate myself, so I can't stand to think about how everyone else must feel. I realize that people are probably too busy with their own lives to bother devoting more than a couple seconds/a glance in my direction... but I still worry anyways. Just like I worry about everything else."

and then we started CBT.
So far, I haven't been able to change my mindset at all.

I know it's not all about me. The world is a big place--people have their own lives to live, but that's not why I'm terrified of it.

Steppen-Wolf

“Shyness has a strange element of narcissism, a belief that how we look, how we perform, is truly important to other people."

-Andre Dubus

Damn, this so true.

So many times I've found myself convinced that people care so much about what I do or don't do, yet reality points to the fact that people just don't care.

Shyness and narcissism seem so opposite, and yet they are so related.

Mickery

This is (one of) the models of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Social Anxiety. It explicitly shows how thoughts and behavior become inwardly focused and inhibit natural interaction.

clip_image004.gif

One of the experiments I had to run was the monitor my thinking in a social situation that proved anxiety to see what the subject of my concentration was. "I don't look nice enough. What if they don't like me? I'm blushing, I'm sure they'll notice". It's all about you, and the more you think about yourself the more conscious you become of yourself.

I hate this widespread myth that we care too much about what others think, that´s why are we shy. It´s not this way at all!! I don´t know how with others, but my behaviour is automatic and irrational, I look shy and scared in certain situations which some people perceive as weakness or that I care too much about what they think, but that's not where the truth is. It just comes automatically to me and I don't know why, as if there was some repulsive magnet or magnetic field which makes me act confused or silly. Or my bad eye contact is automatic, I don't know how to appear normal. Sometimes people even ask if I am afraid or scared or sad even when I'm not. It's probably a disease or something, but it's how my body naturally functions.

I look shy and scared, people perceive it as weakness or fear or over-caring, I act confused or silly, my eye contact isn't good enough, I don't appear normal.

"I know it's not all about me-- infact, I care very little/ think very little of myself. I hate myself, so I can't stand to think about how everyone else must feel. I realize that people are probably too busy with their own lives to bother devoting more than a couple seconds/a glance in my direction... but I still worry anyways. Just like I worry about everything else."

and then we started CBT.

I know it's not all about me. The world is a big place--people have their own lives to live, but that's not why I'm terrified of it..

I hate myself, I am insignificant compared with others.

Lea

Banned

-Andre Dubus

Sorry that seems to me like a total crap, who invented it probably never had it himself. I know pretty much about my faults but narcissism isn´t one of them. Neither are all people who are shy narcissistic, maybe some but these variations are within the "normal" population too..

Mr_Vabanque

Luckycharms:
Be careful not to mistake a catchy or useful statement for a true one. Such statements might actually hold motivational value, I for one could really see myself repeating that to myself if i was unhappy with my shyness in a situation.
To say a shy person is a narcissist however is obviously bull****.

Mickery

The quote doesn't say anyone is a narcissist (indicative of a disorder), it says they have an element of narcissism (an adjective describing aggressive self-focus).

Mr_Vabanque

The quote doesn't say anyone is a narcissist (indicative of a disorder), it says they have an element of narcissism (an adjective describing aggressive self-focus).

Mickery:
Doesn't change anything. Is that "element of narcissism" in shy people necessary? No, it's not. Nobody is shy by himself, people are regarded as(!) shy for all sorts of reasons, there are various factors such as culture, education, experience...(Unjustifiedly thinking people give a **** is not necessarily narcissism, autoreferentiality is not narcissism...)

dragonoth

and then we started CBT.

I know it's not all about me. The world is a big place--people have their own lives to live, but that's not why I'm terrified of it.

So then what are you terrified of?

Sorry that seems to me like a total crap, who invented it probably never had it himself. I know pretty much about my faults but narcissism isn´t one of them.

^This

That quote posted by the OP is too simplistic. It's so much more complicated than that.

I had everything about me criticized and picked on in school.
I've had my performance picked on and judged everday at a workplace by my co-workers and boss.
I've had family and friends (some close, some not so close) criticize my looks and personality on so many occasions throughout my life.
I've heard strangers I've walked past make a critical comment on my clothes/appearance/hair after they thought I was out of hearing distance.
So worrying about what people think of my looks and how I act has nothing to do with self-absorbtion. It is a survival mechanism (am I acting right? Do I look right?) constructed to protect me from further torment.

luckycharms

^This

That quote posted by the OP is too simplistic. It's so much more complicated than that.

I had everything about me criticized and picked on in school.
I've had my performance picked on and judged everday at a workplace by my co-workers and boss.
I've had family and friends (some close, some not so close) criticize my looks and personality on so many occasions throughout my life.
I've heard strangers I've walked past make a critical comment on my clothes/appearance/hair after they thought I was out of hearing distance.
So worrying about what people think of my looks and how I act has nothing to do with self-absorbtion. It is a survival mechanism (am I acting right? Do I look right?) constructed to protect me from further torment.

Not to ruffle your feathers, but heightened sensitivity to criticism is a symptom of narcissism.

We aren't talking about Narcissistic Personality Disorder here, people....we are talking about elements of narcissism, as pointed out before.

Not to ruffle your feathers, but heightened sensitivity to criticism is a symptom of narcissism.

We aren't talking about Narcissistic Personality Disorder here, people....we are talking about elements of narcissism, as pointed out before.

Yes, but the thing is I was what the world calls "normal" until I was 8 years old.
I did not have any "hightened sensitivity" or worry whatsoever about what anyone thought of me before the age of 8. It only started when the first bullying started at the age of 8. You are born with "elements of narcissism". It would be a part of the personality you were born with.
I was worry free (SA free) until the age of 8.

luckycharms

Yes, but the thing is I was what the world calls "normal" until I was 8 years old.
I did not have any "hightened sensitivity" or worry whatsoever about what anyone thought of me before the age of 8. It only started when the first bullying started at the age of 8. You are born with "elements of narcissism". It would be a part of the personality you were born with.
I was worry free (SA free) until the age of 8.

You aren't born with elements of narcissism. When you are born there is no sense of self or ego. Elements of narcissism are developed through infancy and childhood.

This is just pulled off the first page I found: Causes of Narcissism and Egocentric Behavior.

Narcissism is egocentric behavior that occurs as a result of low self-esteem, or feeling inferior in certain situations, caused by a gap between the ideal self (standards set by others, for example, parents) and the real self. This results in threatening situations (real or perceived), which lead to anxiety, which in turn lead to the development of defense mechanisms to defend the individual's ego. Defense against a real or perceived threat involves denial and distortion of facts, projection and splitting.

TRRobin

I agree with Lea here.
It's pretty wrong to assume this is how we all feel.

It's one man's word against another.

B

Beatrice

Oh brother....

I get what the quote is trying to say, luckycharms. Whether it's correct or not I don't know, but I do get that point; that your thoughts are always about your own behavior compared to others - Oh no, they're watching ME, they heard ME say that, they must think I'M weird, etc., whereas I'm guessing "normal" people just say and do things and hardly think twice about it after the fact.