Is this just a me thing?

emre43

I find it incredibly difficult to tell family and my parents in particular about what I am getting up to, who I am meeting, friends and i find it particularly difficult to talk about girls.

The other day my nan asked me in front of my mum if I found this particular girl attractive and I kind of got all embarassed and simply shook my head and my mum just laughed.

Am I the only one who gets embarassed by such things?

Starry

No, you're not alone. I used to be like it too, and still am to a degree... Especially with talking about the opposite sex. I couldn't even admit to people I knew at school about finding anyone attractive... They'd ask "who do you like?" and I'd respond with "nobody!" which shocked them and prompted more questioning, to only get the same response again and again. Also, if my mother mentioned a particular male being attractive, I'd instantly disagree even if I did find them attractive - actually, especially if I found them attractive.

Now, I still wouldn't actively talk about it with family, but if they ever asked, I wouldn't lie about it.

I think with me it mostly came down to me feeling like I wasn't good enough and that others would think I was stupid for finding anyone attractive, as I didn't deserve to be liked back in return... As though they'd think something along the lines of "Why on earth is she finding so and so attractive? As though anyone could ever like her! hahaha..."

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
I find it incredibly difficult to tell family and my parents in particular about what I am getting up to, who I am meeting, friends and i find it particularly difficult to talk about girls.

The other day my nan asked me in front of my mum if I found this particular girl attractive and I kind of got all embarassed and simply shook my head and my mum just laughed.

Am I the only one who gets embarassed by such things?

Naw! Am the same, mate. Ah get embarassed about and find it hard tae tell family what am getting up to, as well. Ah think it might huv something to do with being quite an introverted, awkward person, speakin' fur maself, obviously. :bigsmile:

Ithior

I only find it hard to talk about girls and some of my hobbies.
Now that I'm in university I never get asked if I like anyone, on one hand it feels good because I don't have to lie about it, on the other hand it feels bad because it's as if my friends don't care enough to ask.

jaim38

I have the same problem. It's hard for me to tell my friends and family about guys and crushes. If my friends accuse me of liking somebody, I would vehemently deny it. On the other hand, my parents are strict about dating and relationships. They want me to finish my education and get a good job before even thinking about dating.

SilentAndShy

I only spoke or acknowledged girl crushes (not explicitly but by blushing a tad) to my sister but don't chat to my folks about crushes etc, luckily.

But I do agree and know what it's like to feel you have to give your parents or family an itineary of where you are going. I just tend to go out and not say where I am going because at the age of 26, I feel I don't really need to unless I'm emigrating.

But sometimes my dad will ask where I was to which I give a one-word answer. It's irritating at times.

Unspoken

I find talking about romance and sex strange in general, though it's as much because my views on it are unusual as it is because I feel it's private. It's awkward enough talking about it with friends, let alone a mother or grandmother.

Mercifully, family has long since stopped asking and friends just ask out of polite curiosity once in awhile.

squidgee

Interesting. I had always thought I was unique in having these feelings.

You're not the only one. I can talk with family and friends as long as it doesn't delve too much into my personal life. I'm quite good at avoiding these topics of conversation though, I can kind of sense when a conversation is steering towards something I don't wish to talk about. When I get this feeling, I try and change the topic or pretend I need to go to the toilet or something.