Is this a rational fear?

ciel20

I'm 21/female and live alone. A few days ago I bought a cooking (butcher) knife for a recipe I was making. Since then, I haven't been able to relax at night - I keep imagining someone breaking into the house when I'm sleeping and using the knife to attack/threaten me. I want to get rid of the knife, but is this a rational or OCD fear? I still need the knife for certain recipes (I could use a smaller knife, but it's much more work), but I can't relax with it in the house.

edit: also, I considered hiding it, but I couldn't find anywhere that didn't seem obvious

Last edited:

klytus

I'm 21/female and live alone. A few days ago I bought a cooking (butcher) knife for a recipe I was making. Since then, I haven't been able to relax at night - I keep imagining someone breaking into the house when I'm sleeping and using the knife to attack/threaten me. I want to get rid of the knife, but is this a rational or OCD fear? I still need the knife for certain recipes (I could use a smaller knife, but it's much more work), but I can't relax with it in the house.

It's obviously irrational. Should anyone break into your house with the intention of hurting you, he/she will bring along his/her own knife, or whatever device he/she wants to make use of to attack you. Your knife wouldn't be necessary. Of course, you can keep it without having to fear anything.

Luke1993

Don't worry if someone were to break in they would not attack you unless threatened themselves, they are only after your material possessions. How do I know this? Because I was a former burgular lol.

Vecis

I have this fear from knifes a long time. I fear that I could hurt myself with that knife or somebody else so if I am not using that knife I keep it away from me.

Don't worry if someone were to break in they would not attack you unless threatened themselves, they are only after your material possessions. How do I know this? Because I was a former burgular lol.

I don't know, not always. The motives for home invasions vary. Funny that you mention this knife fear... I experience this and figured it was only me because it's so bizarre. If I'm not imagining an intruder using a knife of mine on me, I'm picturing some horrific accident involving it - me tripping on it, running with it, cutting my finger off while cooking. Is there any reason as to why you would think these things? A bad moment you once had?

Emily_G

The chances of someone breaking in, finding the knife and attacking you with it are slim IMO. I mean, it could happen...anything could happen, but I don't think it's likely. I spend a lot of time in the kitchen, and when I go to someone else's house to cook....I have no idea where things are, I have to search in every drawer for whatever I am looking for. Most aggressive burgulars probably aren't cooks :D

mrb

iv just forwarded that post to the local police station ..... and you matey are nicked :mad: .......... na only messing with you lol :D

It's obviously irrational. Should anyone break into your house with the intention of hurting you, he/she will bring along his/her own knife, or whatever device he/she wants to make use of to attack you. Your knife wouldn't be necessary. Of course, you can keep it without having to fear anything.

exactly... and u must leave the knife if u want to get rid of the fear.. no way in throwing it out.. take it as a personal battle...good luck.. :)

ciel20

Is there any reason as to why you would think these things? A bad moment you once had?
Not really - I actually thought this was a rational fear. I guess I was mistaken though...

Hellhound

Super Moderator
Wow... I thought I was the only one who had a problem with knives, but I'm not alone it seems. I remember throwing away a few big knives we had because I was terrified from only seeing them. They triggered thoughts related to murder and other disturbing shit I'd rather not mention here.

206Raider

I grew up all the time fearing one day I would be kidnapped. It's crazy to think about "what if" somebody broke in....I don't think it will happen, it's okay to be prepared but the likelyhood of it all is very slim. I also sometimes think about this but I know it's not likely and if the situation arised I would deal with it the best I could but there is almost no point in worrying about it..

krfoss

The fact that you posted this question in the OCD section of the blog should be enough to tell you it is an irrational OCD thought. If it feels even a little like OCD, then treating the thought like all the other OCD thoughts will help you get rid of it.

Silvox Black

Irrational, but common for those with inexperience with weaponry as well as having a feeling of insecurity with their life. I would suggest acquainting yourself with self defense techniques, or whatever else you require to feel safe at home. A measly little butcher knife is nothing to fear however.

Mokkat

How could you hurt anyone with a butter-knife? Isnt it kinda the point of a butter-knife, that its not sharp at all?

L

LauraH

I have to say that I totally relate to you. I am afraid of knives too. I have OCD and many nights before I got to be I have to make sure any knives left in the sink are buried well under other dishes so that if for some reason I started sleep walking I couldn't get the knive and hurt someone in my sleep with out making a lot of noise and waking myself up with the other dishes burying the knives. Totally irrational...I know what you're going through.