Is there still a social awkwardness buying condoms?

SilentAndShy

So, I've never bought condoms so I don't know if there is any social awkwardness buying them as there used to be many years ago.

By awkwardness, it's the looks from the cashier etc and the general uncomfortableness that will be exacerbated by my anxiety even more.

I've even looked at buying some from ebay but I think I'll have to buy in store and I'm hoping to go when it's quieter, get in, then get out!

Any reassurance much appreciated.

Miserum

Lol. Don't worry about it. I think we all feel this at some point when we buy our first condoms. So what if some cashier knows you're going to get laid? They've probably had sex before and at the very least, know it's a natural thing that the vast majority of the planet engages in. On top of that, I can think of more embarrassing things that people need to buy that the cashier most likely sees on a fairly regular basis.

Or you can take the easy route and use the self-checkout machine if you're really that embarrassed.

theoutsider

I don't think so. There's so much talk these days about sex and safe sex that buying a box of condoms doesn't raise an eyebrow. In case you are still embarassed, you can order them from Amazon although you'll have to wait a few days to get them.

AtTheGates

Banned
I remember the first time I bought condoms I was worried the cashier was going to say something like "psssshhhhh yeah RIGHT!"

seriously though, dont worry about it . just buy them along with something else ...and go to the self-checkout line

SilentAndShy

I went early morning into a store, as expected, was fairly quiet so able to get in, then get out! Might have been a different story had I gone in during a busier time but hey ho, job done. Thanks all for the re-assurance!

Ransfordrowe

The cashier has little interest in what your buying since its just another product in the store.I have worked in retail and honestly after a while you barely notice or care what people buy.You go on automatic pilot.As anxious people we do tend to worry about what others thing of us but it does us no favours.The store probably sells lots of condoms each week anyway so lots of people buy them.I dont there is quite the stigma connected to buying condoms that you see to believe.Being safe is considered and good thing by most sensible people.If you really worry then order some on Amazon and get them delivered.Being safe is important.

kuurt

I use to buy multiple things at once because it felt more awkward buying condoms by themselves. Then I realized I could buy condoms off of Amazon. You can also get a variety pack so you can figure out what brands you like the best.

AtTheGates

Banned
I use to buy multiple things at once because it felt more awkward buying condoms by themselves. Then I realized I could buy condoms off of Amazon. You can also get a variety pack so you can figure out what brands you like the best.

until the mailman gives you " the eye"

jk

OceanMist

Depends on the cashier.

Most times i bought condoms it was extremely awkward and I blame that all on the cashier.

I'm pretty laid back for someone with SA so when i walk up to buy things i usually am non-chalant as i was with the condoms.

There was usually this look of shock on the face of the cashiers which were all women, i don't recall buying condoms w/ a male cashier.

One time this woman literally got mad at me when i came up to walgreens cashier table with condoms and breathmints. She gave a "ugh are you serious?" Like i was a bad guy for for fornicating with a "raincoat"! haha

Last edited:
Having never bought any, because I am a virgin, I guess the easiest way to get condoms while avoiding people is from vending machines, I've noticed some of them next to pharmacies (they are usually closed at that time), or in the toilets, but I guess they'd be more expensive (They even sell vibrators ffs....) , or as mentioned above, from self-checkout machines.

When I was a kid I remember making water balloons out of condoms and throw them on people (ironically enough, most of the time on couples) rom the balcony, now I am ashamed.

Depends on the cashier.

Most times i bought condoms it was extremely awkward and I blame that all on the cashier.

I'm pretty laid back for someone with SA so when i walk up to buy things i usually am non-chalant as i was with the condoms.

There was usually this look of shock on the face of the cashiers which were all women, i don't recall buying condoms w/ a male cashier.

One time this woman literally got mad at me when i came up to walgreens cashier table with condoms and breathmints. She gave a "ugh are you serious?" Like i was a bad guy for for fornicating with a "raincoat"! haha
^ OMG! :eek: I would have asked to see the manger and lodged a complaint about her!
She has no right to react like that to a customer. :thumbdown:
How old was she?

GraybeardGhost

Having never bought any, because I am a virgin, I guess the easiest way to get condoms while avoiding people is from vending machines, I've noticed some of them next to pharmacies (they are usually closed at that time), or in the toilets, but I guess they'd be more expensive (They even sell vibrators ffs....) , or as mentioned above, from self-checkout machines.

I would be extremely wary of those vending machine condoms, were I a young man on the prowl. Dubious quality, passed expiration dates, and excessive temperatures can add up to serious trouble. Believe me, nothing changes the mood from "Oh God, yes!" to "Oh God, NO!!!" faster than a busted jimmy-hat. :eek:

Sacrament

If the cashier chuckles or smiles, turn to her and say "are we still on for our date later?" or "pick you up at 7?".

grapevine

I'll buy things I feel self-conscious about at the self-checkouts in supermarkets if I can. But even so, with a cashier- I don't feel much embarrassment.

kittymoon

I had a hard time buying condoms when I was younger (teen stage) but now I just shrug it off and get one on the counter along with other goods. Best to buy it with other products so it's not too obvious you're about to get it ;)