Is it Normal to have Internet Friends?

Feathers

Before internet, there was a thing called being 'real mail' penfriends, I loved it and as a teenager, my best friends were international penfriends.
To people who might not understand internet friendship, maybe you can explain it like that? :)

I come from a small town in the countryside too, so I can relate.
It's probably good to be a bit careful online, I've met some really lovely people online though too...

Capsaicin

Before internet, there was a thing called being 'real mail' penfriends, I loved it and as a teenager, my best friends were international penfriends.
To people who might not understand internet friendship, maybe you can explain it like that? :)

I come from a small town in the countryside too, so I can relate.
It's probably good to be a bit careful online, I've met some really lovely people online though too...

Step one is to not use Omegle or Chatroulette unless you plan to do something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6DmHGYy_xk

nicole1

I prefer the distance between me and some of my FB friends. They live all over. And the benefit is that space. I find it harder to be so close to people and have had much more success this way than with my real friends. My best friend of course moved away. :( she was the only friend I had in town that I actually liked being around.

SilentAndShy

Do whatever is comfortable for you.

I used to have a couple of internet friends I used to e-mail but we drifted apart but had others who lived in other countries.

The only person I met in person was on a forum who was suffering from loneliness at university and we kinda empathised with each other and we met at university - nice guy.

But I do fear the embarrassment if my family/friends knew I had friends online or I went on forums etc.

Flanscho

I think that without any friends in reachable distance whatsoever, you will lose a lot. You won't have anyone to ever hug you, or go to a café to or have a walk, do hobbies with and really get to know each other.

People on the internet come and go. Sure, that also happens to people in your vicinity, but not as quickly and as suddenly.

Having only friends on the internet is a bit like having only a picture of a glass of water while travelling through a desert. For a while you can hold out, but then you need the real stuff.