Is it Normal to have Internet Friends?

PrincessKitty

I don't have any friends unless on the internet. Like facebook I met them through and different groups that I'm in.

Is that normal?? :question:

bsammy

do you plan on meeting with these people ever?its hard for me to consider online-only contacts as actual 'friends' tbh no matter how much we have talked..

PrincessKitty

Some I am.. because I do skype and they send me stuff on my birthday and Chritsmas I send them stuff as well on their birthdays and Christmas.
But not all. Its just that I feel really lonely were I live.. and I hate it to be honest.

Capsaicin

Quite a few people do these days. The Internet is mainstream and Skype makes it very easy to get personal.

Flanscho

Normal? Well, depends. If you live in a large city where you could make friends, then nope, it's not normal. If you live in some area where it's very hard to make friends: maybe. Depends. Doesn't matter in the end though. What matters is whether you are happy or not.

Klonoa

It's been normal for as long as the internet has been public. From the old Usenet bulletin boards, to the late 90s ICQ and early 2000s forums, to nowadays social media age.

Truth to be told, I think the net as a whole has gone downhill since facebook and twitter succeeded where myspace failed, but that's my own bias.

But nah, tis normal to have net friends, and I hope you get to meet many of them in person some day. :3

Flanscho

I think the title of the thread is a bit misleading. It makes people assume that you have regular and internet friends.

Klonoa

I think the title of the thread is a bit misleading. It makes people assume that you have regular and internet friends.

I believe it is and it isn't at the same time. Some people's shyness or awkwardness makes it too hard to befriend or talk to people in real life, it's easier in places like this, especially by pre-knowing there's stuff in common between both parties already. And if both parties are honest about friendship, it can last long. :3

Zaki

The way I see it...people are people and friends are friends. As long as you're communicating with others in some way- whether via FaceTime or across a table from them- I don't see a reason to worry about what's normal or not. All that matters is whether or not you're okay with only having internet friends. If it isn't bothersome, don't let it bother you.

Esperance

Show that once you don't have to look the other person in the eyes, you are totally able to have friends. Just have to work on it of course ( easier to say than to do^^ ) but I don't think you should see it as something strange but instead as something positive

PrincessKitty

Yeahh I can see your point. But many years ago I did loose my friends over one girl that actually nearly ruined my life, so because of that I lost all my friends. So I'm starting to make internet friends, I guess its the only way I could make a friendship really because where I lived. I don't live in the city I live in the country side in a tiny town. If all that answers your question?

PrincessKitty

With everyone and what there saying, I do find it hard to make friends because I have autism and dyslexia.
And thanks.. its just what other people told me, that they find it weird that I have internet friends. But the closest friends I have on the internet I skype, text and send each other stuff.
But thanks after this won't let bother me.

Also, with the technology and the way its going. I'm really not surprised on how social networking sites are and how they effect us in every day normal life.

jaim38

Thanks for sharing the link coyote. I actually read through some parts, especially on "developmental issues" of friendship. This actually led me to a NYT article. Some passages really stood out at me, that I want to share:

Wikipedia:
According to Anahad O'Connor of The New York Times, bullying is most likely to occur against autistic children who have the most potential to live independently, such as those with Asperger syndrome. Such children are more at risk because they have many of the rituals and lack of social skills as children with full autism, but they are more likely to be mainstreamed in school, since they are on the higher-functioning end of the autism spectrum.

NYT:
The children at greatest risk, it turns out, appear to be those who also hold the most promise for leading an independent life. The researchers found that the risk of being bullied was greatest for high-functioning children who end up not in special education programs, but in mainstream classes, where their quirks and unusual mannerisms stand out and they are more exposed to bullies.

On a personal note, I've tried living away from home for 4 years, but failed miserably. I was never able to fit in anywhere. Now I think I know part of the reason.

PrincessKitty

Thanks for sharing the link coyote. I actually read through some parts, especially on "developmental issues" of friendship. This actually led me to a NYT article. Some passages really stood out at me, that I want to share:

Wikipedia:

NYT:

On a personal note, I've tried living away from home for 4 years, but failed miserably. I was never able to fit in anywhere. Now I think I know part of the reason.

That actually makes a lot of sense now to me.. and I'm kinda understanding a bit more too. Thanks for sharing that

IcedEarth25

It certainly is normal, I have quite a few friends on facebook that I talk to sometimes, just get nervous if they ask to meet up which they rarely do anyway but yea is ok to have friends on the otherside of a computer screen.

Agent_Violet

I think as long as you're getting some interaction with other people you're going to be just fine.Friendship can't be defined as normal or abnormal as long as it makes you feel good and happy.

ImNotMyIllness

Given where you live and your past experience, it makes sense to have only internet friends. Also, a lot of people with SA only communicate with people on the internet. We all need social interaction and social networking sites do help to those of us more isolated.