Is college education worth it?

Deus_Ex_Lemur

^^^True for any down economy but... this wont be the case forever. Also just own personal benefits; I am glad despite spending a while to get my degree I went and got it. Now I am freshly graduated I have no illusions in this economy my degree will get me work, esp given the degree =)

Bustn Justin

If you are going to go to colllege/university, do your homeowrk and make sure that the area of study is something that you want to do and you are able to find work after you are done.

I have finished my degree in psychology and anthropology 4 years ago and still haven't found work with my profession. However realize that I am smart enough to graduate and be responsible to study and work to pay for my education.

dancingintherain

sure =D it makes sure your happy with your right direction, confidence in your work and you learn a lot. I have, and I thank them for it. It ends a step higher because the tutors talk about university and helps you be prepared

Deus_Ex_Lemur

Frankly, no one can say if it was or wasn't worth it until a bit after they graduate and live a little. There's no absolution.

Kiwong

Yes. In my case it was. I studied mature age, and got to work with in the conservation and science area. Better than no degree and working as an insurance clerk.

coyote

i went to a fine arts college/university and got a BFA - Bachelor of Fine Art degree

although I haven't had a job since then that required an art degree, or that were in anyway even connected to the visual arts, it still helped to secure decent paying positions of responsibility just by having a Bachelor's degree of any kind

so in that sense it was worth it

and it was worth it to learn the things I did in school in that particular environment - which i doubt I would have learned elsewhere

of course, i can also say the same things about the six years I spent in the US Marine Corps - learned alot that i wouldn't have anywhere else, and the experience on my resume helped me in the job market

Last edited:

thegunners21

Not in all cases, what?

Not in all cases is it NOT worth something? Or not in all cases is it worth something?

errr i am confused. Well i am pro-college anyways.
If you are encouraging your kid to skip college, you are setting him/her up to struggle with min paying jobs. Majority of college dropouts wont become Bill Gates.

And i am only looking at it from the perspective of jobs. College can also teach you how to be independent, reasonable, get along with peers and these are all valuable life lessons.

I know my college has changed so far for better, although the tuition fees and textbook prices should be a little lower.

Luke1993

Well I don't think I'm smart enough for it, and I don't have the money for it anyway. But I think if you have the brains and the cash, then GO FOR IT! :D

I'm paying the equivalent of U$80 the year. When I get my Associated Degree (the carrer last three years), I'lbe gaining at least the equivalent of U$500 at month. After other three years, I'll get my Mechanical Engineering degree and by starting I'll be making about U$750 each mont. But I'm in a public University.

I love my carrer and I'm good at it (which matters more than the money thing)

MollyBeGood

Oprah seems to think so and she is next to God on t.v. LoL anyways...it completely depends on your line or work and if there is a need for your degree in society. otherwise it's peeing in the wind.

MrJones

I'm paying the equivalent of U$80 the year
I'm paying the equivalent of U$80 the year
U$80 the year
MOG.jpg

I'm paying 1300€ (like 1800-1900$) every year in a 4 year career and my university is public too

PS: an engineer colleague! I'm sutdying Computer Engineering :)

deadend

Graduated 2 years ago with BS in Psychology. Wasn't worth it. Need at least a Masters to go anywhere in the field.

College is worth it if you're smart about it. Otherwise, yes, you're wasting your money.