Is 2012 The End?

Nack

Banned
Havn't you heard? The Maiyans got lazy after creating 2012 calenders it wasn't worth it anymore...

lac operon

It's just a calender, 2012 the new maiyan calender phase begins. We get a new calender every year, we didnt die.

i was reading something about it being the end of the conscious or something, not neccessarily being the physical end. Does anyone know about this?

lac operon

i was reading something about it being the end of the conscious or something, not neccessarily being the physical end. Does anyone know about this?

It's a theory, I personally don't believe it, because there are not enough evidence to support such event. But we will find out in 3 years.

bluesky

I was about to respond no, that it's only a movie and there are plenty other Armageddon-like films out there. But then I read this. Sounds interesting, care to elaborate?

Last edited:

lac operon

The 2012 phenomenon is a range of beliefs and proposals positing that cataclysmic or transformative events will occur in the year 2012. The forecast is based primarily on what is claimed to be the end-date of the Mayan Long Count calendar, which is presented as lasting 5,125 years and as terminating on December 21 or 23, 2012. Arguments supporting this dating are drawn from a mixture of amateur archaeoastronomy, alternative interpretations of mythology, numerological constructions, and alleged prophecies from extraterrestrial beings.
A New Age interpretation of this transition posits that, during this time, the planet and its inhabitants may undergo a positive physical or spiritual transformation, and that 2012 may mark the beginning of a new era. Conversely, some believe that the 2012 date marks the beginning of an apocalypse. Both ideas have been disseminated in numerous books and TV documentaries, and have spread around the world through websites and discussion groups.
Mayanist scholars argue that the idea that the Long Count calendar "ends" in 2012 misrepresents Maya history. To the modern Maya, 2012 is largely irrelevant, and classic Maya sources on the subject are scarce and contradictory, suggesting that there was little if any universal agreement among them about what, if anything, the date might mean.
The claims put forward by those predicting the end of the world in 2012 (alignment with a black hole, collision with a rogue planet, polar shifts) have been rejected as pseudoscience by the scientific community. Many of these claims violate the laws of physics, or are contradicted by simple observations.

thanks lac operon. I have been reading about the prophesy not the movie 2012 since high school and was always fascinated by it. I always knew about the world physically being destroyed in this prophesy, but i clicked on the link to watch the trailer on youtube on the video above, and one of the comments on the video said that it meant the end of consciousness not the end of days. I had wanted to know more about that theory because that is a new one to me. thanx though

Luke1993

I don't think it will be, and if it is then I'll be annoyed cos all my hard work at school and (currently) college will be wasted!

But yeah I'm not worried they keep on extending the date.

neko

No I don't think it will be. Actually, I personally think many people misinterpret what the Mayans or other scriptures were saying. Most things I read about talked about a new age of humans, a new begining rather than the end of all life.

I never believed in end of life senarios anyway. Doesn't mean I believe in the new age either but that's what I read and understood.

Lonelykitsune

I hope not,all those hours of school and study ive done will b a waste.and i still have some excitment left in my life i hope