Introduction from a new member

Something-Vague

Hey everyone. I generally don’t know what to say or don’t say much of anything in most sites with forums, but I am hoping to find some encouragement in talking to other individuals in here that are also dealing with social phobia, as well as provide any insight and support that I can of my own. I am a 20 year old female who adores music of many genres and who is currently attempting to rekindle her old love of reading. (At least, I am trying to do so as much as I can while taking college courses. Currently Reading: “Lolita” by Vladimir Nabokov)

I feel like perhaps it's appropriate to discuss some of the problems that I encounter as I am sure that all of you can relate; I hope that none of this comes off as "woe is me," but I really feel that it would be helpful to get all of this off of my chest.

I often don’t leave my house for days, not even to go for a walk because I am afraid of people seeing me and judging me. I haven’t ever had a job because I am too afraid of what a boss might say to me or what the potential customers' judgments are. I avoid stores and social outings more often than not, often making an excuse such as “I have homework”, even if it’s just with my family. If I do go in stores, I feel like hell and hope to get out of there as quickly as possible. I try not to go to the same store too often because I am afraid that they will remember me and wonder why I go there all the time. I am on various social networks, but I rarely dare say the first word to anyone because I am so afraid that I will say something wrong or they will think I am stupid or I will just mess up somehow. However, if someone takes the initiative to talk to me online, I will message them back, and if I find a connection, it doesn't take too long for me to get comfortable especially because all of my friends, excluding one, are from the internet. Sometimes I don’t express my opinions because I am afraid that they will be too uninformed or that someone will attack me and judge me for my views, even though I know that I would love the idea of debating on an intellectual level because I love learning. As far as picking up the phone to call my academic advisor, whom I've known for over a year, or a stranger… I'm currently having difficulties with this as well. I take online classes currently, so the majority of my public interaction I have is when I go to see my therapist or muster the courage for a movie or a concert (rarely). I know the history behind why I am the way I am, but I am pretty sure this post is long enough the way it is. I was making a pretty nice amount of progress in regards to these issues, but ever since an incident that happened a while ago, I've plummeted downhill.

(Sorry for rambling on.)

I am currently in therapy- I see my therapist every other week. I am hoping not to be judged here and that it will be a safe-haven as much as it can be. I am here if anyone ever needs to chat as well!

By the way, I also apologize for not telling you my name, but for now, I feel like "Something-Vague" suits me. (Kudos to you if you understand the reference.)

ImNotMyIllness

Hi! Welcome to the forum! It's funny you mentioned not wanting to go into stores too often because they might remember you and wonder why you're there all the time. LOL, I do the same thing! I'm also afraid that the person who recognizes me might want to talk to me.

This forum is definitely a safe haven. Feel free to chat with me anytime!

squidgee

Welcome to the forum!

Don't worry, we won't judge you harshly. Many of the problems you've listed are things many here can relate to as well. I too often make excuses to avoid social situations.

Hope your sessions with your therapist are successful and you get better in the future.

lonelee1

Hey everyone. I generally don’t know what to say or don’t say much of anything in most sites with forums, but I am hoping to find some encouragement in talking to other individuals in here that are also dealing with social phobia, as well as provide any insight and support that I can of my own. I am a 20 year old female who adores music of many genres and who is currently attempting to rekindle her old love of reading. (At least, I am trying to do so as much as I can while taking college courses. Currently Reading: “Lolita” by Vladimir Nabokov)

I feel like perhaps it's appropriate to discuss some of the problems that I encounter as I am sure that all of you can relate; I hope that none of this comes off as "woe is me," but I really feel that it would be helpful to get all of this off of my chest.

I often don’t leave my house for days, not even to go for a walk because I am afraid of people seeing me and judging me. I haven’t ever had a job because I am too afraid of what a boss might say to me or what the potential customers' judgments are. I avoid stores and social outings more often than not, often making an excuse such as “I have homework”, even if it’s just with my family. If I do go in stores, I feel like hell and hope to get out of there as quickly as possible. I try not to go to the same store too often because I am afraid that they will remember me and wonder why I go there all the time. I am on various social networks, but I rarely dare say the first word to anyone because I am so afraid that I will say something wrong or they will think I am stupid or I will just mess up somehow. However, if someone takes the initiative to talk to me online, I will message them back, and if I find a connection, it doesn't take too long for me to get comfortable especially because all of my friends, excluding one, are from the internet. Sometimes I don’t express my opinions because I am afraid that they will be too uninformed or that someone will attack me and judge me for my views, even though I know that I would love the idea of debating on an intellectual level because I love learning. As far as picking up the phone to call my academic advisor, whom I've known for over a year, or a stranger… I'm currently having difficulties with this as well. I take online classes currently, so the majority of my public interaction I have is when I go to see my therapist or muster the courage for a movie or a concert (rarely). I know the history behind why I am the way I am, but I am pretty sure this post is long enough the way it is. I was making a pretty nice amount of progress in regards to these issues, but ever since an incident that happened a while ago, I've plummeted downhill.

(Sorry for rambling on.)

I am currently in therapy- I see my therapist every other week. I am hoping not to be judged here and that it will be a safe-haven as much as it can be. I am here if anyone ever needs to chat as well!

By the way, I also apologize for not telling you my name, but for now, I feel like "Something-Vague" suits me. (Kudos to you if you understand the reference.)

you sound just like me! i know how you feel, you won't be judged here. i'm 27 and do not work. i just got my b.s. in psychology but am afraid to get out there. it took me 8 years to finish college because of my social anxiety and depression. you are surely not alone. i think building inner confidence and self esteem will help us. you sound very smart and i think we can all get through this. glad you're here and i hope you feel better :)

Something-Vague

Hi! Welcome to the forum! It's funny you mentioned not wanting to go into stores too often because they might remember you and wonder why you're there all the time. LOL, I do the same thing! I'm also afraid that the person who recognizes me might want to talk to me.

This forum is definitely a safe haven. Feel free to chat with me anytime!

Hello! Thank you very much for responding and for the warm welcome. Yes, I also think that the cashiers may wonder about the food that I eat... although I'm sure that they may have other thoughts than something that is probably considered pretty trivial. Nevertheless, it does worry me. Even though I am saddened to hear that you must deal with the same issue, it is nice to be able to relate.

I think that I can relate to your last comment- whenever I see someone from my past, whether it's an old classmate or just an acquaintance, I want to shrink inside myself and hope that they don't see me.

Something-Vague

Welcome to the forum!

Don't worry, we won't judge you harshly. Many of the problems you've listed are things many here can relate to as well. I too often make excuses to avoid social situations.

Hope your sessions with your therapist are successful and you get better in the future.

Thank you very much!

I appreciate you reassuring me that I won't be judged to the extreme. I suppose that it is a bit unrealistic to assume that a person would not judge at all.

Just the same, I am grateful for you reassuring me that I am not alone; it honestly means a lot.

Thank you so incredibly much! I wish great things for you as well.

Saga

Hurr. You sound cool. ._. If that doesn't sound weird or anything... >.<
I love music and reading too! ^.^ Plus I feel the same as you on a few of the points you brought up, such as avoiding social outings and being terribly afraid to be the first to speak to someone, even online. And I hate expressing my opinion because I always think it's 'wrong'. o.o

Anyways, feel free to message me anytime. I'm always happy to talk to people. And welcome to the forum. c;

MikeyC

Welcome to the site, Something-Vague. I'm sorry you have such issues, but you're taking an online course and you said you love learning, so the desire to break out of your shackles is there. Hopefully in time you will be free. :)

laure15

Welcome!

If I do go in stores, I feel like hell and hope to get out of there as quickly as possible. I try not to go to the same store too often because I am afraid that they will remember me and wonder why I go there all the time.

I can relate too. Going to the same store, gas station, or library makes me panic because I don't want the cashiers or workers to recognize me. I was afraid they expect me to chat with them and if I don't, they will think I'm stuck up.

2-3 years ago, I used to go to the same library, very often, so the staff members pretty much "know" me. But I could tell they didn't like me because several times, I heard them say behind my back, "Why do I keep seeing this person? Why does this person keep coming to the library? I don't like this person." - something along those lines. Maybe they didn't like me because I didn't say hello to them? I am not sure. But I don't go to that library anymore, having moved out of the area.

Something-Vague

you sound just like me! i know how you feel, you won't be judged here. i'm 27 and do not work. i just got my b.s. in psychology but am afraid to get out there. it took me 8 years to finish college because of my social anxiety and depression. you are surely not alone. i think building inner confidence and self esteem will help us. you sound very smart and i think we can all get through this. glad you're here and i hope you feel better :)

I'm finding it very comforting that everyone seems to know where I am coming from on here. Thank you for reassuring me that I will not be judged- I appreciate it so much. Congratulations with getting your B.S. in Psychology! Even though it may have taken eight years, that is quite an accomplishment!

Yes, self-esteem is definitely something that I need to work on, but it really is nice to hear you say that I am smart. That is actually one area where I often question my abilities.

I enjoy the positive attitude that you have shown to me- it's refreshing. I wish great things for you, too!

Something-Vague

Hurr. You sound cool. ._. If that doesn't sound weird or anything... >.<
I love music and reading too! ^.^ Plus I feel the same as you on a few of the points you brought up, such as avoiding social outings and being terribly afraid to be the first to speak to someone, even online. And I hate expressing my opinion because I always think it's 'wrong'. o.o

Anyways, feel free to message me anytime. I'm always happy to talk to people. And welcome to the forum. c;

Well, it may sound weird for someone to call me cool, but I do appreciate the compliment nonetheless, so thank you!

It's wonderful to know that someone shares my love of music and reading! Do you have any favorites?

In regards to speaking to people online, for me, it is definitely the initial contact that worries me the most. I will not try to start a conversation most of the time, but once someone messages me, and I have been talking for a while, I tend to become quite comfortable. (I think that is because the majority of the friends that I have met are through the internet.) Take this forum for example. It took me forever to write the introduction and I was scared out of my mind what people would say and think; I edited it a ridiculous amount of times as a result, but now that I have done it and I have received so many lovely messages, I am willing to post much easier.

Thank you so much for extending the invitation for me to message you! You can message me whenever you would like as well.

Something-Vague

Welcome to the site, Something-Vague. I'm sorry you have such issues, but you're taking an online course and you said you love learning, so the desire to break out of your shackles is there. Hopefully in time you will be free. :)

Thanks! I appreciate your condolences immensely and you are right- even though I am struggling, I am lucky enough to have some sort of motivation, which I know that others may struggle with. I hope that I can be free, too, as well as everyone else here that suffers from such issues. Thank you again!