Intelligence or good looks???

Avery

I take your point that some people will exhibit envy or jealousy towards extremely attractive people, but I think that far more people will be drawn to them. It's human nature. People like pretty, attractive things and that includes pretty, attractive people. MOTOS are sexually attracted to them, and even people of their own gender tend to want to be around them. It's quite depressing that so many people put so much importance on something which is quite literally skin deep, but they do. :/

All true.

I was a good-looking guy in my early/mid teenage years. I had plenty of female attention. I never did anything with it all, but just the continuing realization that I was in some sense 'wanted' gave me confidence, and made me feel better about myself.

After I dropped out I got fat, went bald, and that was that. I've since lost weight and such, but the fact is that I'll never really be 'wanted' again, in any broad sense. When you look ten years older than you are, and act ten years younger, you don't exactly titillate the ladies.

My point is just that I've been on both sides of the attractiveness divide, and the grass really is greener on the pretty side. Others feel better about you, and you feel better about yourself. It takes no effort, either -- just take the time to maintain basic hygiene and rudimentary fashion and voila, people want to be around you. And I say this as a guy; I don't think there's much question that women benefit even more from high marks in the appearance department.

Last edited:
U

userremoved

You're absolutely right! Many people are drawn to beauty. With so many people being drawn to good looking people, the chances of drawing the wrong kinds of people increases. On the other hand, I've known gorgeous women who had no friends at all. Some women have a fear of being "upstaged" by someone who is more attractive, capable or intelligent. Women strive to remain equal within their groups and if anyone upsets that delicate balance then things can turn nasty.

There is a trio of women who sometimes hang out with my friends. It is evident that they don't want to have anything to do with me. I wish I could blame it on my SA or paranoia, but that simply is not the case. Two of the women look annoyed every time I show up. I've been polite, smiled and said, "hello" before and they just ignore me. One of the women I saw outside a club I was meeting my friends at...The bouncer was giving me a hard time - wouldn't let me in because he thought I was too young... the cow was standing a few feet in front of us looking over at me with an amused smirk on her face. Once I got into the club and sat next to my friends...these women kept their backs turned to us even if we were all in one company.

Let me not even get started on the other crazy women I've encountered. Sorry. I'm making it seem like women are the only mean ones out there. I've had my fair share of weird men drawn to me.

I can't get that song "Hate me now" out of my head now lol. But yeah that's screwed up. I didn't know some girls would do that to each other. =/

mrb

I wish I were a geek. I wish people would praise me on my intelligence as often as they do my looks. Meh, maybe others don't think my intelligence is praiseworthy. ::p: Oh, well.

you wanna try being me annie :rolleyes::D i have no intelligence ;)

mrb

That's just your way of trying to fool everyone, Gary. ;) I've actually known people like you. You act all crazy and whatnot, but you're smarter than you would have others believe. I'm onto you!

your right annie i just pretend to be stupid ;) no one takes any notice of a stupid person , untill the stupid person gets your bank details and goes running down the rd with all your cash :cool: shhhhhhhhhhhh ;)

Ignace

I wish I were a geek. I wish people would praise me on my intelligence as often as they do my looks. Meh, maybe others don't think my intelligence is praiseworthy. ::p: Oh, well.

For a while maybe, but I doubt you would really want it for life.

I would go for the looks. Just because it's more appreciated in society.

Felgen

I don't understand why some seem to think that beautiful people are only worshipped. The grass may seem greener, but beauty has it's disadvantages as well as advantages. For every person worshipping Giselle Bundchen there are probably three people who hate her. Am I being cynical? I've known people to be fickle and unforgiving so even if people worship a beautiful person one day, they'll find a reason to hate them the next... I'm not saying that all people are this way, but how many of the fans who swoon over Brad Pitt feel real unconditional love for him? I guarantee that the antipathy felt by some people is stronger than any admiration they could ever feel.

This goes for all positive traits, not just beautiful people. If you're smart, envious people will call you a nerd; If you're muscular, envious people will call you a braggart when you go to the beach; If you're a skilled mechanic and restore a sports car back to it's former glory, people will accuse you of being a spoiled brat who gets everything from daddy.

Good looks alone has never given anyone the world on a silver plate, as evidenced by the fact that many people on this board are quite good looking (some don't even know it themselves).

Rembrandt Broam

You're absolutely right! Many people are drawn to beauty. With so many people being drawn to good looking people, the chances of drawing the wrong kinds of people increases.

I agree, which is why I have little time for the argument that SA girls have it easy because all they have to do is stand around waiting to get approached by guys. It doesn't take into account that they'll be approached by a lot of douchebags, losers, players, moochers, scumbags and all the other types of guys that they have absolutely no interest in. There might be some genuine nice guys in there too, but a lot of those will probably be put off, thinking that they don't stand a chance against the other lot.

On the other hand, I've known gorgeous women who had no friends at all. Some women have a fear of being "upstaged" by someone who is more attractive, capable or intelligent. Women strive to remain equal within their groups and if anyone upsets that delicate balance then things can turn nasty. Most women also don't like conflict so it's only normal that some will avoid women whom they think will steal their thunder.

There is a trio of women who sometimes hang out with my friends. It is evident that they don't want to have anything to do with me. I wish I could blame it on my SA or paranoia, but that simply is not the case. Two of the women look annoyed every time I show up. I've been polite, smiled and said, "hello" before and they just ignore me. One of the women I saw outside a club I was meeting my friends at...The bouncer was giving me a hard time - wouldn't let me in because he thought I was too young... the cow was standing a few feet in front of us looking over at me with an amused smirk on her face. Once I got into the club and sat next to my friends...these women kept their backs turned to us even if we were all in one company.

Do these women have boyfriends or husbands? I haven't seen any pictures of you, but I get the impression you are what most guys would described as "hot". :) I can imagine that a lot of less attractive women would feel quite threatened by that, and would be quite hostile to you being around their SO. Even if they are single, they'd possibly regard you as unwanted competition. I've seen this kind of thing happen amongst women before, yet the same doesn't seem to happen amongst men if there is a particularly good looking guy present.

Let me not even get started on the other crazy women I've encountered. Sorry. I'm making it seem like women are the only mean ones out there. I've had my fair share of weird men drawn to me.

Well there are a lot of weird men out there. :)