in school today...

WiwerGoch

my english teacher asked a question, and when no-one put their hand up to answer she said: "I want someone who never answer a question to answer, because if you don't talk I don't know what's going on in your mind. And I need to make sure that you're not brain-dead." she was really angry. and she looked straight at me the whole time she talked. would you find this offensive, or is it jusd me being sensitive?

lunaticbinge

my english teacher asked a question, and when no-one put their hand up to answer she said: "I want someone who never answer a question to answer, because if you don't talk I don't know what's going on in your mind. And I need to make sure that you're not brain-dead." she was really angry. and she looked straight at me the whole time she talked. would you find this offensive, or is it jusd me being sensitive?

That's extremely cruel. You would think a teacher of all people would be understanding towards people like us, but apparently not. Because you don't talk your brain dead? Why the hell would someone make that connection?

lonely_drummer

wow, that is brutal. i had that happen to me once. my teacher went off on the whole class one day and then turned to me and asked me a question on the topic and the usual thing I would just say was "I dont know" so I didnt have to talk. Then she went off on me in front of everyone saying that I wouldnt amount to anything by just shrugging things off like that. I just sank into my chair and closed my eyes thinking it was a bad dream. This event just made things worse. I had already had a bad reputation for being stupid because I always said " I dont know". You would think out of all people, teachers would be one of the first ones to realize, ok this person is really quiet and shy, best not to make it worse by publicly humiliating them.

WiwerGoch

i'm glad it's not just me! i guess because teachers are confident, they expect us to be too. And it would make them look like bad teachers if one of their students failed.
should i tell somebody?

Emily_G

Teachers would say this ALLLLLL the time in high school. I would avoid eye contact, sometimes they would call on me and usually I'd say "I don't know" just so I didn't have to answer the question. It's a horrible feeling...I completely understand.

vichyssoise

I got that from my teachers sometimes. I would only speak if I was explicitly asked or if nobody else knew the answer, but even then I was reluctant. Is it really so hard for teachers to understand that not all of us like speaking in public? :(

LazyHermitCrab

wow, that is brutal. i had that happen to me once. my teacher went off on the whole class one day and then turned to me and asked me a question on the topic and the usual thing I would just say was "I dont know" so I didnt have to talk. Then she went off on me in front of everyone saying that I wouldnt amount to anything by just shrugging things off like that. I just sank into my chair and closed my eyes thinking it was a bad dream. This event just made things worse. I had already had a bad reputation for being stupid because I always said " I dont know". You would think out of all people, teachers would be one of the first ones to realize, ok this person is really quiet and shy, best not to make it worse by publicly humiliating them.

What a you know what! :eek:

N0D

Banned
I guess your "english" teacher has never heard of writing. It's this new form of communication in which people use paper and pencils or pens to make words and convey thoughts. It would surely assist her in evaluating whether or not you are brain-dead. Perhaps you can write her a note and suggest it. :rolleyes:

I had many crap teachers, I feel for you.

Jessica7

I hate it when teachers do that, it's the worst feeling when they say that and you know they are going to pick you to answer a question :(

J.Christine.89

Oh my gosh. That is extremely rude and mean of your teacher to say something like that. This makes me really mad and frustrated to hear something like this, especially something that was said by a TEACHER of all people!

I think it was totally wrong of her to use "brain-dead" to describe students not answering questions. That is unbelievably harsh and so completely wrong that it makes her sound as if she is extremely immature. I would most certainly find that offensive. Ha, if this happened to me today, I would have gone straight to her after class and said, "Guess what. I can talk. I'm not 'brain-dead' after all, am I. If I were 'brain-dead,' I wouldn't even be able to talk to you." That is honestly what I would say to that teacher. I don't know how old you are but you sound like you're probably in high school. I would never have said something like that then, but now? Ohhhh boy. I would be on her case about it. Even if it was not me she was targeting in class. I wish I would have been there. I would have spoken up for sure.

I'm really sorry to hear about this. I really hope it hasn't messed with your esteem. Don't think anything of it. That teacher should not even by qualified to teach if that's the way she goes about treating her students. What a dummy.

WiwerGoch

Oh my gosh. That is extremely rude and mean of your teacher to say something like that. This makes me really mad and frustrated to hear something like this, especially something that was said by a TEACHER of all people!

I think it was totally wrong of her to use "brain-dead" to describe students not answering questions. That is unbelievably harsh and so completely wrong that it makes her sound as if she is extremely immature. I would most certainly find that offensive. Ha, if this happened to me today, I would have gone straight to her after class and said, "Guess what. I can talk. I'm not 'brain-dead' after all, am I. If I were 'brain-dead,' I wouldn't even be able to talk to you." That is honestly what I would say to that teacher. I don't know how old you are but you sound like you're probably in high school. I would never have said something like that then, but now? Ohhhh boy. I would be on her case about it. Even if it was not me she was targeting in class. I wish I would have been there. I would have spoken up for sure.

I'm really sorry to hear about this. I really hope it hasn't messed with your esteem. Don't think anything of it. That teacher should not even by qualified to teach if that's the way she goes about treating her students. What a dummy.

thanks :) I'd love to have the guts to say something to her! yeah, I'm in high school.
Should i tell somebody?

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Hi wiwergoch, I had something similar happening to me some years ago in my philosophy class, though it was way more direct. The teacher started his class by asking me a question to which I answered "I don't know", then he "attacked" me telling me that I was declaring war to him by being quiet in the back of the class (I think he just had something against me because of my style), and that if I wouldn't sit there, working alone and talking to no one, maybe I would know the answer. Then he gave me the ultimatum of either sit in front of the class or leave. So I left.

The next day, he saw me in the hall and told me I should come back (I think he felt bad because I was actually one of the best student of this class... what a idiot).

I came back for the next class and gave him a 3 pages letter telling him (politely but firmly) in a very philosophical way how wrong he was, and why I would totally keep sitting in the back of the class, and keep working alone.

He never gave me anymore trouble, and I had 100% in all and every exams/homeworks for the rest of the semester.

If you feel that she attacked you and you have something smart to answer, I think writing is a good way to do it.

HeadFace

Woah, the hell? That is awful...
I have similiar expiriences. I'm sure most of us can relate to the "I need someone who never talks to answer" situation.

GhoulsNightOut

Ugh, damn those teachers to hell! One of the main reasons that high school was a nightmare for me, they were nothing but a bunch of bullies really.
It still happens in college but the relieving part is that I can just get up and leave. It pisses me off so much because I can hear the slight joy in their tone as they call on students. >=[