If you weren't an avoidant or social phobic ...

PerseverareJasmine

I think I would've liked being an author, possibly an author of children's books. I think I would crack under the pressure of trying to get my ideas down on paper though. I'd also most likely be very paranoid of what people might think of my work if they read it.

Twiggy90

Well, writing and playing music are very different things. As a writer, you have the advantage of correction until you are satisfied with your work. Musicians have only one shot while playing live. Either way, no matter what you do, there will always be people who like and who do not like your work. But still, you have to do something. You can't just sit around and do nothing. You should definitely try writing and see how it goes.

April72

Twiggy, it's a world for an avoidant to be exposured to critisism. We have simply to renounce to some things in our lives to find some comfort zone.
I'm one of the oldest in this forum and I think I improved a lot through the years but I still find impossible to have a long social exposure. It's like I have a limit, a level of energy which let me deal with my avoidance only for a short period of time. Then, I need to win back some this energy to go out of my shell again.

Anyway, I agree with you that it's worthy to try it. I found something I can do but that I wasn't sure I will be able to do. We can surprise ourselves, too.

Last edited:
this

I could have been a great gymnast. Gymnastics was the only thing I have a natural talent for.
Who knows how far I could have got without SA.
I could have an Olympic gold medal on my cabinet! :sad: :kickingmyself:

Me too! That's the only thing i have ever a natural talent for but I never did anything about it because I was too scared or shy to pursue it. Having super loose joint has to be good for something. I don't know about Olympic gold medalist but I certainly wish I had used it earlier :/.

MotherWolff

Banned
Hey, guys!!
I was wondering how much I would like to be a proffessional músician. Thing I neither can dream bc of my avoidance. The single idea of perform something in front of people sounds like impossible for me. With time and experience, I learnt to sing and dance and make any kind of role plays in front of my learners and some coworkers but no further than this.

What things did you have to give up bc of your avoidance or social phobia?

Imma tell you right now: you do not have to give up a darn thing and refuse to listen to any negatron that tells you that lie!:thumbdown:

Please, do not place an obligation on yourself to quit pursuing a dream you love simply due to a couple of flaws/drawbacks.

And Imma tell you another thing; every weakness has a strength and every strength has a weakness.

Remember, pal, nobody is perfect! No matter how flawless they appear to be.:rolleyes:

lindenarden

I always wanted to be a professional musician as well, but I had a hard enough time meeting other people to start a band with, let alone perform live with. Maybe it's something I could attempt now, but I don't have the passion I did when I was younger.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I would do exactly what I'm doing right now, only I would have done it more quickly and more efficiently and for other reasons.

Kiwong

I'd still be a runner, it is a fundamental part of me like breathing. It wouldn't be such a battle to get out the door and face the world and run.

nicole1

I stopped writing. But with encouragement from a doctor and with a few online classes, I was able to get back on track with my journey. I just realized that being avoidant probably meant I would have to do things differently. I also learned that I'm not as horrible as I believed and that the things I truly wanted are all still possible; I just have to work for them. I feel better even though I experience extreme doubts and bouts of avoidance. Slowly I'm getting to where I want to be.

chazer2010

i would've been a cricket player.fyi cricket is a sport.i couldn't make up my mind to go cricket practice because of my social phobia :(

THeCARS1979

I love it. I really admire músicians over any other kind of artists.
Music is so special.

A ton of celebrities have social phobia and had anxiety . I ll mention a few
how about Avril Lavigne, she said she was shy. Benjamin Orr of the CARS was camera shy and as he sang he also sang half of the songs from the CARS but was reports of him being shy and social anxiety too. Robert Deniro reported that he has had social anxiety, Jim Carrey, Michelle Pfiefer,and president Abraham Lincoln was said to be awkward, and there are a ton more, you can even look it up so if they can strive for it and get there , you may too

uncle

Avoidance has had a major impact on my life. It's impossible to say how much different my life would be today, and to tell you the truth I really don't want to know. I just have to accept the fact that my disorder's have had a tremendous sway over the course of my life.

Kaekae

I think I'd be fluent in Vietnamese now if it wasn't for my SA holding me back. I've been learning for the past couple of years as my husband is Vietnamese, most of his family don't speak English so I want to learn so that I can talk to them. However, I can't become fluent when I'm scared of speaking. I can't fully learn like this.

bsammy

A ton of celebrities have social phobia and had anxiety . I ll mention a few
how about Avril Lavigne, she said she was shy. Benjamin Orr of the CARS was camera shy and as he sang he also sang half of the songs from the CARS but was reports of him being shy and social anxiety too. Robert Deniro reported that he has had social anxiety, Jim Carrey, Michelle Pfiefer,and president Abraham Lincoln was said to be awkward, and there are a ton more, you can even look it up so if they can strive for it and get there , you may too

sorry but there is a huge difference between being shy and socially anxious as compared to being socially phobic or avoidant..shyness and anxiety are only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to disorders like avoidance and social phobia..

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
I think I would have been playing cricket for Australia.

At 13 I was the youngest ever person selected to play state cricket. Then the start of SA set in.. I don't often blow my own horn but I was quite good.

kya

Running and cosplay and tons of other things, I don't have any friends... I would go to clubs and shows and meet successful people... (kind of lame I know) .

Last edited: