If you didn't have social anxiety/issues, would you still be depressed?

EscapeArtist

After surfing all the fun, connected and happy looking pictures on facebook of old friends and being quite bewildered (I don't understand how they do it!)..., I wonder, would you still be depressed if you got along well with others, had that feeling of belonging in other people's presence, had lots of friends and a sense of community?

sorry probably not the most positive/helpful thread

MikeyC

Yes, because my depression is stronger than my anxiety. I can go out and talk with people and feel complete miserable doing it.

Boby

My depression is the result of my anxiety,so yeah I think I will feel much better if my anxiety will be gone.

Gaucho

i don't know, but its possible that i wouldn't be depressed if i wouldn't have SA, but I'm not sure.
Because if i wouldn't have SA i would do things that i like, like joining sport clubs, talk to new people and the list goes on and on, automatically i would have nice experiences so i i wouldn't focus on my depression. I haven't felt really happy in a a specific moment for years.

Meggy0001

No I would not be depressed if I got well with others I think because I am mostly depressed becuase I am most of the time alone and always have to watch other people getting on and having a laugh and knowing I can never be part of that sucks =/

SilentBird

This is a pertinent question and well put. I would be a whole a lot less depressed if I was more comfortable around others. The reason I don't mix with others is because I feel bad about myself. I think that people don't want to know me. Therefore I retreat and become depressed. Therefore I become more anxious. It's a vicious cycle.

Kiwong

I think I would have a tendency to feel depressed about my life situation regardless. I have suffered depression for longer, in my adolescence, in my twenties, and more recenlty. I think I suffered mostly from depression about 15 years ago. Social anxiety started about 8 years ago.

I really feel like I do belong. I've kept putting myself out there, I've been honest, and my world has expanded significantly in many ways. It's been hard, I suffered alot of pain, but I have won some battles against anxiety.

montejocarlo

that is such a difficult question. it's like asking a blind man what he would see if he weren't blind. but i'm guessing i still would. my mood swings are really bad. one moment, i'm having so much fun, the next, i'm emotionally wrecked. sometimes, at the peak of my enjoyment, i would suddenly feel sad and scared as if the thought of being happy frightened me. i'm pretty sure that isn't SA.

Srijita52

I'd be happy to some extent I guess but I'd still have mood swings and I'd still be mildly depressed.

MikeyC

sometimes, at the peak of my enjoyment, i would suddenly feel sad and scared as if the thought of being happy frightened me.
Interesting. I don't think you're the only one that gets this. I have this to an extent, too. Like, when I'm really happy, I start questioning why and whether I actually deserve it, then my mind plays against me and I lose the high.

Dead

Yes, I think so, but I can't exactly know for sure. I would probably still think I was hideous, and be very depressed over that. My anxiety doesn't really even depress me that much anymore compared with other things, I am so used to it.

Eristelle

Depends. If I were free of my SA I'd probably make friends and be happy, because I don't have friends. My depression is tightly knit with my anxiety. Maybe my depression will subside a lot, but I doubt it will completely fade.

WeirdyMcGee

Perhaps if there were food in the cupboards every day and no looming threat of being kicked out of my 'home' constantly?
It tends to be quite depressing.
Would give anyone anxiety, I think...

...Maybe if I lived on or near a farm or knew of a berry patch where I could forage for food? But alas! The 'modern' world doesn't really work that way.
haha

MikeyC

Perhaps if there were food in the cupboards every day and no looming threat of being kicked out of my 'home' constantly?
It tends to be quite depressing.
Would give anyone anxiety, I think...
If I had the means to change this, I would've done it already. You don't deserve that kind of added stress in your life.

razzle dazzle rose

I wonder, would you still be depressed if you got along well with others, had that feeling of belonging in other people's presence, had lots of friends and a sense of community?

Not having friends, feeling like I don't belong anywhere, the loneliness...that is the big source of my unhappiness. And it makes sense. Having good relationships, feeling like you belong, having support, those are big contributors to happiness. Studies show us this again and again. There is no escaping it. Of course, I am neurotic by nature and would still have issues, but I know that if I could get along with people and felt "connected" I'd be in a much better state. So, how do I go about getting that?

Srijita52

Interesting. I don't think you're the only one that gets this. I have this to an extent, too. Like, when I'm really happy, I start questioning why and whether I actually deserve it, then my mind plays against me and I lose the high.

that is such a difficult question. it's like asking a blind man what he would see if he weren't blind. but i'm guessing i still would. my mood swings are really bad. one moment, i'm having so much fun, the next, i'm emotionally wrecked. sometimes, at the peak of my enjoyment, i would suddenly feel sad and scared as if the thought of being happy frightened me. i'm pretty sure that isn't SA.
I get these feelings too. I can be really happy at one moment and miserable at the next. But I guess everyone has their good days and bad ones. I need to stop questioning my happiness and accept it as it comes.