I have turned my life around and so can you

emre43

I used to be a regular on here but haven't been on here for I don't know how long. Over a year I would guess.

At the age of 21, I had left school, but not found a job, had no friends and was sat in my room all day I would only go out for the odd family meal or to help my parents with the shopping, not leaving their side and hiding behind them whilst they paid. I had no friends and I had never had a girlfriend. I had never even walked five minutes to the local shops by myself - in twenty-one years! :eek:

Three years on things couldn't be more different. I used to hate winter and couldn't find the energy to face it. Now it doesn't faze me and I face it as if it is a summer's day (although dressed a bit more warmly :)) I have three jobs. I work Mondays-Saturday 9-5, as well as having a voluntary job and I love every one of them and speak to everyone that I can. I attended the Christmas party and had a great time! This from a boy, three years ago who was the shyest, quietest person with no contacts and had never done anything remotely adventurous. If I can change things anyone can. It is all about attitude. We all have the power within ourselves to achieve the things that we want but we have to face up to the challenges ourselves. If you fear something - face it, that is the only way to get over it - you have to face your fears! I used to believe everybody would judge me if I attended a party - now I think 'so what?' They're the kind of people that wouldn't interest me anyway so why should I let their judgement(s) effect me? Now I am the person volunteering to sing the first karaoke song up on stage in front of everyone.

I enjoy banter with my colleagues and manager at work and even stick up to them if I disagree with something they say. I used to believe that modesty was a virtue - now I see it as self-depreciating and now I big myself up. I am pretty awesome after-all and so are you! :thumbup:

One of my jobs includes designing an app for smartphones. It is aimed not only at people with SA, but most mental health problems. It will include forums, games, thousands of quotes, calming music, information, and much, much more that I will be able to speak about at a later date. I will inform people on here when it is out.

Things will get better if you stay true to yourself and believe that you can achieve things; face your challenges! Three years ago I could not imagine that any of the above was achievable for me; I saw it as a pipe-dream, but look at me now. Believe me you can do it. The only things to regret in life are those things that you didn't do when you had the chance. Start small and work yourself up. The smallest thing that I could think of to start me off on my turnaround was walking to the shops on my own. It may sound small and silly to some of you. But it was the start of my highly successful journey. Be brave! Face your fears directly! What is the worst that could happen? Every time you are about to challenge yourself ask yourself 'What is the worst that could happen?' Say it out aloud if there is no-one around. Also, if you are stressing about speaking to somebody (boy/girl you like; interview, etc.) practice in a mirror beforehand. Look yourself straight in the eyes and say what you would like to say to that person with conviction. Another good thing to do in a mirror is again to look yourself in the eyes and say things like 'I like me' or 'I am important'.

I will sign off with this quote from J. R. R. Tolkien:

"Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt. We do not"

I hope you all have the most wonderful Christmases and New Year's that you could possibly imagine!

Have fantastic days everyone!

Last edited:

ImNotMyIllness

WOW! That's inspirational. I checked out your previous threads, and you really have come a long way!
I too am learning to confront my fears. I feel that my whole life has been about fear and anxiety. Regretting the past (and being anxious about it) fearing the future (again, being anxious about it). It's such a vicious cycle of fear and anxiety. Because of it, I'm never in the present. Either I am, dreading something, or daydreaming to escape the dullness of my life.
I am now learning to: a. Be honest and aware of my fear (including, and especially the source for said fear). b. Facing my fear 3. And, living in the present.
This is helping me immensely. I do have a long way to do but I also have a lot of determination to see it through and be the best version of myself possible.

Good luck on the app! Congratulations on everything! Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

Bronson99

I used to believe that modesty was a virtue - now I see it as self-depreciating and now I am rather cocky and big myself up. I am pretty awesome after-all and so are you! :thumbup:

Thread and "inspirational story" disregarded

Keep climbing that social ladder, of course that will make you happy.

In fact it might not be much better than the way you used to be--I've known shallow people who are all about the goals, the degrees, the money but it's not as fulfilling as they thought it would be. They can smile for Facebook and Twitter, but inside, they're empty and depressed. It's not all it's cracked up to be.

If you want to become arrogant and you want to become the same kind of person that causes endless distress for people with SA, and your former self, go right ahead. That's a hollow victory IMHO.

As an aside, though, I do congratulate you for conquering SA. And an extra note, I'm a bitter person, so don't take this banter to heart. Perhaps it stems from envy on a subconscious level.

emre43

Thread and "inspirational story" disregarded

Keep climbing that social ladder, of course that will make you happy.

In fact it might not be much better than the way you used to be--I've known shallow people who are all about the goals, the degrees, the money but it's not as fulfilling as they thought it would be. They can smile for Facebook and Twitter, but inside, they're empty and depressed. It's not all it's cracked up to be.

If you want to become arrogant and you want to become the same kind of person that causes endless distress for people with SA, and your former self, go right ahead. That's a hollow victory IMHO.

As an aside, though, I do congratulate you for conquering SA. And an extra note, I'm a bitter person, so don't take this banter to heart. Perhaps it stems from envy on a subconscious level.

You have nailed it in one with your first sentence - 'Keep climbing that social ladder and of course it will make you happy'. Now practice what you preach.

I am not sure what your point is regarding Facebook and Twitter as I don't use them very much, other than for work purposes - but the majority of people who use them are happy and some aren't so happy. Don't worry about how these people who you don't even know on social networking sites feel. Look after yourself first and foremost.

I think you are confusing arrogance with something else. Arrogance is, according to the dictionary 'feeling or showing self-importance and contempt for others'. I do feel self-important because I am important - SA made me think otherwise but of course I am and so is everybody here. You have a choice to believe of course that you aren't important - that is up to you. But I have returned to this site and written this message to help others - if you see that as contempt then so be it.

Believe me, if I took your words to heart I wouldn't have achieved what I have done.

I have made the choice to be happy and I want to pass that on to others. Whether you choose to accept my help or not is your own.

Last edited:

ImNotMyIllness

As Bronson pinpointed, there is nothing good about being Cocky. Social climbing and arrogance are not good virtues. BUT, that's not what Emre43 is really talking about. Feeling important and good about yourself is essential (AS LONG AS) you feel that ALL people are important. (generally speaking). Value yourself and others.

emre43

To be honest I am not sure cocky is a bad thing. It is banter. As long as you are not killing or harming others live how you want to live in a way that makes you happy. Maybe cocky was the wrong word to use, but I speak highly of myself around others and it makes others laugh because I speak outlandishly. The other day I said I am a 'fine specimen of a man' - which I so am not - but it made others laugh.

What is a good virtue to one person, may not be for another. None of us are the same. My point being do what YOU want and be who YOU would like to be to make YOU happy.

Last edited:

ImNotMyIllness

To be honest I am not sure cocky is a bad thing. It is banter. As long as you are not killing or harming others live how you want to live in a way that makes you happy. Maybe cocky was the wrong word to use, but I speak highly of myself around others and it makes others laugh because I speak outlandishly. The other day I said I am a 'fine specimen of a man' - which I so am not - but it made others laugh.

What is a good virtue to one person, may not be for another. None of us are the same. My point being do what YOU want and be who YOU would like to be to make YOU happy.

That sounds great!:thumbup:

SilentAndShy

Well done mate.

I really resonate with you specifically with the volunteering I've recently started and attending the Xmas party on Friday which I did for the first time and it went OK.

Volunteering is a no-pressure environment so I use it as a practising ground to try and improve things I struggle on such as eye contact, creating conversation, all the shyness issues I have. I said no to the Xmas party but then got drawn into and went - and glad I did.

I don't think you're being cocky having read your "fine specimen of a man" comment which I see why you said it. It might be that deep down you don't necessarily believe it (hey, you might do lol) but it garnered a laughter from others and I did something similiar last week when I said to my volunteering colleagues that "I'm not that bad looking!" to which they laughed to. I don't think I'm all that atm (with my extra weight I've put on) but I ain't bad so I believed what I was saying as true but also said to illicit some laughter from others which it did and it got me to know my colleagues more and feel more comfortable

Odo

Banned
I don't think you should use the word 'cocky'.
Cocky implies insecurity and a need to belittle others.

Other than that, good for you.

Bo592

Hey man great Job I love the fact that you pointed out to everybody to start small will make a differents. That a important key. I believe that the biggest part of our problem we lose are focus to try because we thank what the point in trying.
One of my jobs includes designing an app for smartphones. It is aimed not only at people with SA, but most mental health problems. It will include forums, games, thousands of quotes, calming music, information, and much, much more that I will be able to speak about at a later date. I will inform people on here when it is out.
I thank this idea is amazing I can`t wait until this is out.

emre43

I don't think you should use the word 'cocky'.
Cocky implies insecurity and a need to belittle others.

Other than that, good for you.

I have edited the word cocky due to popular demand. I simply meant that I am more willing to speak highly of myself than I used to. No offence was meant.

emre43

Hey man great Job I love the fact that you pointed out to everybody to start small will make a differents. That a important key. I believe that the biggest part of our problem we lose are focus to try because we thank what the point in trying. I thank this idea is amazing I can`t wait until this is out.

Agreed about starting small. That is the key. Hey even do it a few times until you feel comfortable with it. Don't do it once and feel you have achieved something by doing it once. Do it again and again and again until it has no longer has a negative effect on you.

Regarding the app, I am very excited about it. We have a meeting in the New Year so I will have more information then which I will update people on.

jaim38

I enjoy banter with my colleagues and manager at work and even stick up to them if I disagree with something they say. I used to believe that modesty was a virtue - now I see it as self-depreciating and now I big myself up. I am pretty awesome after-all and so are you! :thumbup:

Congrats! I also thought modesty was a virtue, even lived by it. Not sure anymore though, because modesty doesn't bring me anywhere. It's like sitting on the sidelines and not doing anything. People in society respect those who are not afraid to brag about themselves and their achievements.

emre43

Congrats! I also thought modesty was a virtue, even lived by it. Not sure anymore though, because modesty doesn't bring me anywhere. It's like sitting on the sidelines and not doing anything. People in society respect those who are not afraid to brag about themselves and their achievements.

Absolutely!