I feel like life is passing me by...

NightTimeForever

I sit in the house for 98% of the day, do some chores, play video games, surf the web, exercise. It's all very unfulfilling I remember my father said to me "you're going to be fifty and you'll want to join life, but by then it'll be too late." That statement keeps haunting me, but I can't help but have the notion that I'm on some collision course with a unremarkable end point. Nothing to show for my life but a series of either failures or agonizing moments of not trying at all.

Can anyone relate?

Last edited:
Sure can relate. Used to be there. Fortunately for me a series of unfortunate events fell on top of me. Pushed me out and about.

If you're curious meetup.com is a place I like to frequent. They usually have groups in anyone's local area.

Also, don't let anyone tell you how you should live your life. It's your life. Take it by the horns do with it as you see fit.

sahxox

Yes I can relate entirely... No idea what to do about it though. At least we're not the only ones right :s

MikeyC

Assess what you want to do. What is it that you want to achieve?

I am in the process of doing something about my life. It's a long process, but it can be done!

jaim38

I'm like you but I do have a "dream job" in mind, as they put it. But I am somehow not "seduced" by the allures of society. I could stay in my room all my life surfing the net and doing my own thing without caring about the world. Money, gold, fashion, travel to exotic places, beaches, opportunities for advancement, etc just don't have much appeal for me, I'm also not "turned on" by social interaction, more like the opposite. So, you can't say I'm missing out on life because there's nothing in society I yearn for. I don't care. I just want to pay off my student loans and then become a recluse or somethin.

Trishanku

"I feel like life passing me by.." I said that in the year 2007. life indeed passed me by, its 2013. I've been the same, the thing with me is I haven't tried many things in life.

Last edited:
Know how you feel, my parents always used to say to me you get out of life what you put in. As a child/teenager beginiging to realise its true and is a main reason why I haven't got a lot going on in my life like you I just stay in and play video games. Only go out to buy cigarettes, or go to work. Does get me down though because know I am to scared to really put myself out there. Also depressing to thing that is probably my life now. Living at home going from minimum wage to job to minimum wage, just sitting round playing computer games.

Ignace

I feel ya, especially in my age category it feels like I'm wasting all of my time. Your twenties are supposed to be the best years of your life...

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I sit in the house for 98% of the day, do some chores, play video games, surf the web, exercise. It's all very unfulfilling I remember my father said to me "you're going to be fifty and you'll want to join life, but by then it'll be too late." That statement keeps haunting me, but I can't help but have the notion that I'm on some collision course with a unremarkable end point. Nothing to show for my life but a series of either failures or agonizing moments of not trying at all.

Can anyone relate?

It is possible to engage in fulfilling activities without having to deal with other people. You could try learning a practical skill. Cooking is an excellent example. You will always need to eat, and it feels good to make something you can be proud of. Or learning a new language--something that might actually come in handy later. These sort of things provide a sense of accomplishment, and prove that you haven't wasted all of your time.

sahxox

It is possible to engage in fulfilling activities without having to deal with other people. You could try learning a practical skill. Cooking is an excellent example. You will always need to eat, and it feels good to make something you can be proud of. Or learning a new language--something that might actually come in handy later. These sort of things provide a sense of accomplishment, and prove that you haven't wasted all of your time.

I like this. Today I actually made some slices/cakes, something I haven't done in years, for that exact reason... it's fun to eat them lol

Supernova

I'm like you but I do have a "dream job" in mind, as they put it. But I am somehow not "seduced" by the allures of society. I could stay in my room all my life surfing the net and doing my own thing without caring about the world. Money, gold, fashion, travel to exotic places, beaches, opportunities for advancement, etc just don't have much appeal for me, I'm also not "turned on" by social interaction, more like the opposite. So, you can't say I'm missing out on life because there's nothing in society I yearn for. I don't care.

Damn, thought I was the only one like that.

Goblinko

Guess I'm on the same boat as the OP: my life has been resumed to surf the web, read and write books, play games and go out sometimes.

I'd like to work autonomous, but I lack the motivation to do so. :(

I dig Nathaniel and MikeyC advice.