How to stop staring or looking at people alot

JesterDolls

I need answers on how to stop staring at people or looking or panicking about those things. I really can't do this anymore. I'm tired.

R3K

try wearing sunglasses, it's an easy fix. ppl won't know you're looking at them, and you'll know they don't know...

sahxox

Move your gaze from one eye to the next (not too frequent, or it could be considered romantic haha) and feel free to look away every once in a while to break it up (I think it's something like you have to maintain eye contact 80% of the time). Make a strong effort to relax.. sounds like an oxymoron at first, but remember the reason you want to talk to someone is to hear what they're saying. The more you try and hear the words, leaving your mind, the easier it'll become - we're creatures of habit afterall :) Man I used to have such anxiety talking to my teachers, I'd stare them down and barely absorb a word they were saying as I was so conscious of my gaze. These tips have really helped me though, hope you can get something out of it too

Lou-s-Darkness

If you're talking about randomly staring at ppl while they're not looking then I can definitely relate..I just find the need to stare for some reason...just stare for no reason...I don't really know what to do about it and you're right it is extremely frustrating. I wish there was a way to stop. What I do when I can't stand it anymore is look elsewhere really really really hard or at the floor and try your hardest to stay focused on that spot..It works for me sometimes. Of course not always, but it's the only solition I have to offer that works somewhat. Keep us informed? I'd like to hear how it goes for you...I thought I was one of those rare weird ppl who had it. It's good to know there are others struggling with this like me (not that it's a good thing to be struggling with it).

laure15

I'm planning to ditch contacts for glasses. I have so-called "sanpaku eyes" that give me a mean, hostile look. Hopefully the glasses will draw attention away from those eyes.

I notice that in the past when I give presentations, I tend to stare at one person in the audience (usually the nicest person) while avoiding the others. It helps fixate my gaze and "stabilize" my anxiety, as weird as it sounds. But it's also creepy so I try not to do this.

Sometimes I stare at people who look out of the ordinary and make them feel bad so I try not to do this.

laure15

remember the reason you want to talk to someone is to hear what they're saying. The more you try and hear the words, leaving your mind, the easier it'll become - we're creatures of habit afterall :) Man I used to have such anxiety talking to my teachers, I'd stare them down and barely absorb a word they were saying as I was so conscious of my gaze. These tips have really helped me though, hope you can get something out of it too

Very often I find my brain trying to listen to the person talking as well as trying not to stare, but it's hard to do because the more we multi-task the less efficient we do something. Many times I focus so much on eye contact, trying to avoid staring, that I miss what the person said. Other times if I focus exclusively on hearing, I can find myself staring at the floor (or something) and not giving eye contact at all because I listen better without looking at people. I guess what we should try to work on is striking balance between listening and looking?

How do normal people listen and manage to maintain eye contact too? I know if I do one, I will end up sacrificing the other.

LazyHermitCrab

Well it's not terrible to have eye contact. When I'm walking around I pretend I'm on my phone and look at my feet as I walk. If I catch myself looking at someone it's usually because I'm looking at something else, but that person thinks I'm looking at them. After this I just look down at my phone again.

Kiwong

Last time I went out in the world, I looked up into the trees, and stayed about 100 metres from everyone else. I've tried wearing sunglasses and that can help to.

try wearing sunglasses, it's an easy fix. ppl won't know you're looking at them, and you'll know they don't know...

I have done this for years and I can stare at people all I want. Just be sure to use really dark glasses. I use mirrored aviators, maybe not fashionable but they work for me.:cool: