how open are you about this subject?

Flanscho

Like, let's say you're on a party. It's getting too crowded, you just want to get out, say "goodbye" and are about to leave. A buddy approaches you and asks why you are leaving. What do you say?

Do you use some excuse, such as "got to get up early tomorrow" or "still got work to do"? Or do you say something such as "it's a bit too crowded and noisy for me"? Or do you say "social phobia, can't bear this, sorry, seeing you next week"?

Or, for example, consider facebook. I strive to have a tiny friends list there, with just people that are actually of importance to me. Otherwise I don't accept them there, and in regular intervals I kick everyone from that last, to whom it doesn't apply anymore. In addition, I check every now and then, using certain websites, how much is known about me on the web.

I considered today to write a short note about having visited the social phobia support group yesterday, to people on my friends list on facebook. But then decided against that. On the one hand, being open towards friends seems like an ideal. On the other: it's somewhat private. So is there really a need to shout such stuff around?

surewhynot

The other day I was at a small party and I was having the worst time ever because I was pretty much in my little corner saying nothing at all being my little awkward self... So I decide to leave really early, and now my friend is mad at me and stopped talking to me because I didn't stay longer... ):

laure15

Goodbyes are probably the hardest part of a conversation for me; I have an easier them introducing myself, but I have trouble ending a conversation. I remember when I was on the phone with another person, I tend to drag out the ending and it makes me and the other person feel uncomfortable. So, the other person usually makes the effort to end the conversation.

Anyways, aside from birthday parties, I never attend any other party, but if I do, I will make up excuses just to get away when I feel uncomfortable. I'm not very open about social phobia to my friends because I don't want them to feel awkward around me.

Lisy

I try to avoid parties but usually my excuses are that I can olnly stay for dinner, I'm tired or I have to wake up early the day after... but friends that know I don't like parties told me I can be honest with them when I want to leave.
I try to be convincing with my excuses because I hate when people try to make me stay saying that I can have a lot of fun, it makes me feel worse =_=

Amitush123

The other day I was at a small party and I was having the worst time ever because I was pretty much in my little corner saying nothing at all being my little awkward self... So I decide to leave really early, and now my friend is mad at me and stopped talking to me because I didn't stay longer... ):

Ignore them, there is no reason you should suffer just because of a party, and your friends should understand that

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I haven't been in a situation like this before. If I were, I'd probably say I'm having a panic attack and I have to gtfo. I'm pretty honest about this subject because I don't care about what random people think. As long as my own friends understand me, I'm alright.

JuiceB

It's been so many years since I've actually went to a party that I honestly don't know how to reply. The brain is aging...

Facethefear

You say "I gotta go. It's been fun. Will have to do this again really soon. Thanks I had a great time. Bye bye."
You don't have to explain anything.